Team vs Wigan | Vital Football

Team vs Wigan

FCBEARS

Vital Football Legend
Pukki (as I have already posted) will miss this game.

McCallum has returned to training and will be available. He had a muscle injury (like Marquinhos) and had to miss five days of training etc so missed the game against Hull, but has trained and is fit for tomorrow. DW is really pleased to have him back for selection.

Marquinhos not trained but should make a session tomorrow - 50/50 then.

Says the squad is big enough to handle the amount of games coming our way and the whole squad will need to be ready - it is about recovering and managing it.

Tzolis seems to be getting an injury even after a few minutes playing. He cut his knee and had to have stiches, he worked with the Norwich fitness team this week. He will be there for saturday.

DW says he will have to plan the lineup, formation and mentality around the poor pitch at Wigan.

DW says Aarons is fit for saturday and ready, but he needs to improve his attacking side of his game.

Interesting that our assistant coach was invited by Webber to visit colney, DS and Hughes back at the start of last April. He then reported back to DW that the facilities at Norwich are great. Was Webber looking to get him (Buhler) in as a coach back then?

DW says he has found himself a flat that he is going to move into after living at Barnham Broom since arriving - I have been there and it was lovely when I went.

Not said on here but I read Placheta's interview and he said he expects to return to full training late March early April - I don't think we will see him this season.

With Pukki being out and both Idah and Sargent starting we will have no backup forward on the bench and if we need some attacking reinforcements from the bench on Saturday we will only have Tzolis.

DW said that he isn't worried about being down to two forwards because Gibbs could play there, Nunez too.

So a defensive midfielder can play as a forward.

Why not include a young forward?

This reminds me of the time when we had injuries to our forwards under DF and instead of playing young forwards he played stiepermann upfront.

It also reminds me of the time under grant I think where we again had no forwards and they played Russell there and we scored no goals.

Poor Gibbs is being played right wing already

I’m sure our ‘top’ striker Idah will start ! ( ‘top’ is DW description, not mine )
Have you seen the narrative that the media is going with around Idah now? We should look beyond him scoring goals as he is more than that:

Well he has to be more than that as he can't really do that, but it is the fact that they know he isn't much of a goal scorer so to keep the 'talented' label going they have to now say he isn't here to score goals but to be a workhorse.

The ink un even start with the fact his record isn't great 57 games and 5 goals and 13 caps for ireland without a goal too.

They write that he isn't blessed with the ability to finish like a pukki or sargent. What he does offer is his ability to take the ball up the pitch and the fact he likes to run and run.

They then finish with 'is he the finished article - not by a long shot' and 'he still lacks quality infront of goal and his first touch needs to improve', 'but he is still young at 22 to learn' They still think he is one of the most talented and highly rated youngster around.

Someone has made a good point on here that he has only started a handful of games and a lot of those 57 games came from 8 minutes here...5 minutes there, which doesn't help, but the ink un writing that he isn't great in front of goal and his first touch isn't the best then write he is one of the best young talents in the UK is a bit much. I'd add his movement is poor too. How many times is he caught offside in games?

I am always happy for the academy guys to get a chance but there comes a time where we need to step back and say it as it is. For me Idah is an okay player, nothing special or spectacular just okay. Would I have him as our starting championship forward....no, would I have him as the backup (2nd choice) next season...no. I'd loan him out to a good level club where he can play every game and see what he can do. With us being in Championship next season I think Pukki will go and that is fine, Sargent will be here, I'd loan Idah out and look to bring in a couple of players up top.

I wonder if we will get the Yellow Wall ? Crikey …. I went to that after all the hype and it was freezing cold and we only managed to draw

Norwich City (4-4-2): Gunn; Aarons, Omobamidele, Hanley, Giannoulis; Dowell, McLean, Sara, Hernandez; Sargent, Idah. SUBS: Krul (GK), Gibson, McCallum, Tzolis, Sorensen, Nunez, Gibbs.