Team v Bradford | Page 2 | Vital Football

Team v Bradford

We need to play a few youngsters in our last 2 games. Several of them have been pros for a couple of seasons now and it's only fair to assess them properly before making a decision.

I can't imagine a couple of games would reveal much about a player; surely he'd need a run of matches. Look at Campbell; he's clearly got a bit of talent but was way off the mark when it came to linking up and passing. That said, the regulars, defence apart, were pretty dire to-day. A lot of huffing and puffing and the result - a keeper's error and a shot that hit the bar and our star man, List, was at another match.

Yesterday`s game lacked intensity but was, nevertheless, interesting to watch. Young Leo was static for long periods of the game but showed, a few times, just how much acceleration and agility he possesses. A game changer if ever there was one and someone i`d love to see in a Gills shirt next season.

Once again, Elliott List was played in midfield rather than up top in a striking position. He was anonymous for much of the game. We know how good Elliott can be, but if SL continues to hold him back in midfield then he won`t be able to use his pace and be as productive. To be fair to List, it was good work between him and Garmston that directly led to our goal

Maybe SL was committed to trying out Tahvon in a striker role, and still give Elliott some match time, who knows. Having seen Tahvon twice i`m afraid there`s been little evidence that he`s the answer to next season`s "big void" - we are really going to miss Big Tom ! On the plus side, once again, young Hanlon put himself about and fully deserved his goal. The work rate, on and off the ball, from both Brandon and Regan Charles-Cook was the high point of the game with both showing the "Fuller spirit" in never giving up. The shot from Regan that hit the bar was the result of impressive tenacity, it was beautifully struck. This pair could be very big plus factors for the 2019/20 Gills.

Good shift put in by Byrne who worked hard and covered a lot of ground and an impressive first half performance by O`Neil. Coming on for Fuller, Bradley Garmston had a good game and increased our potency up the left flank. As mentioned, it was good work from him that enabled our goal.

All in all, it was a good day`s work and another point in the bag. Lovely sunny day and the locals were very friendly. many of those I spoke with were worried that Tom Eaves was going to bag a hat full against them. Interestingly, considering they had been relegated the previous game, the crowd were loudly appreciative of their manager Gary Bowyer, who received a loud ovation when he first appeared.

The Bradford stewards were really helpful and cheery towards the Gills fans. Well done the stewards. There have been a few away venues this season where the stewards have been over-zealous with their portion of power. Final observation, City quoted the attendance as 15,686. I`ve been to other Gills games at Valley Parade with attendances around the 17K, 18K mark. Yesterday`s crowd seemed much, much lower than previous games, so a bit surprised there were almost 16K there . Just saying.

Good assessment LGR. I echo a lot of what you said. List was totally wasted playing in the middle. Garmston had a good game when he came on and RCC and Hanlon are definitely progressing well. Both could be real assets for next season.

I also agree about Campbell. Has done nothing to show he will make the grade in League 1 but he may just need a goal to get his confidence up and kick start his career. As we are safe (well almost) and as Tom is almost certain to leave I would persevere with Campbell for 2 more games.

Finally we should really try and sign Ogilvie and Lopes on permanent deals for next season. If Wigan don't want to let Lopes go perhaps a season long loan would be possible? Ogilvie has strengthened our defence since Zak has been out and Lopes has real quality. We just need him fit and a good pre-season.

Perhaps next season has some hope after all.......