Team of the Decade | Vital Football

Team of the Decade

PlymouthImp

Vital Youth Team
Mark Whiley has posted a start on
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/warrior-captain-future-cup-heroes-3603717

but I have to disagree with some of the selections as, as difficult as it is, the team is littered with players from the latter half of the decade?

His team:
GK Farman
RB Eardley
LB Toffolo
CB Raggett
CB Bostwick
CM Woodyard
CM Whitehouse
W Arnold
W Andrade
F Green
F Rhead

What would you change?

I'd include Power and remove Whitehouse.
I also think I'd remove Bostwick for Waterfall

it's difficult to stay un-clouded with regards to promotions when some players kept us in the NL?

Edit: My 11
GK Farman
RB Wood (even tho his name is now mud)
LB Toffolo
CB Raggett
CB Waterfall
CM Woodyard
CM Power
W Arnold
W Muldoon
F Tomlinson
F Rhead

Last edited:
I always think these things are a bit daft because as you have highlighted above it's all a bit subjective because everyone will have a different opinion.

Very difficult for us as well as we have played at 3 different levels in the last 4 years so are we talking the best players, those that made the most contribution? What exactly are we picking? It's unlikely any of our National League side would make the grade now as we are playing at a much higher level, but again who knows! On a contribution front has Toffolo contributed more than Habergham for instance. Without that stunning winner against Torquay late on would we have even been promoted for instance?

As I said impossible to quantify so tbh a completely pointless exercise imo because you end up leaving players out that should also be included..

GK Alsop
RB Wood
LB Toffolo
CB Raggett
CB Bostwick
CM O'Connor
CM Morrell
W Arnold
W Andrade
F Walker
F Rhead

As said these things always a bit subjective and the success of the later years in the decade will swing many selections.
I think there's only two changes I'd make to Whiley's list

Power in for Whitehouse for being one who kept going in the dark days of the Conference
I'd also go back a bit for a second striker and would put Davide Somma in ahead of Matt Green. Almost on his own he kept us up in the later half of the 09/10 season and was a top striker for our level. Shame that we couldn't get him on a full deal and that injury buggered up his career

I can't remember (intentionally forgotten?!) most of the earlier NL squads.

Difficult one, though, because, for example, if we take the GK's then is Farman the best we've had this decade? No. But did he play a part in our best period? Yes.

Gilks was probably the best, but wasn't here too long.

GK Parrish
DR Robson
DC Bush
DC Kanyuka
DL Nutter
MR McCallum
CM Christophe
CM Mills
ML Jordan
ST Hutchinson
ST Broughton

Somma is without doubt the best centre forward we had in that period. Depends on your criteria as to his inclusion though.
In the bad team posted, O'Keefe was far worse than Todd Jordan, probably in my worst 11 of my time watching.

Somma is possibly the most complete striker I've seen play for us, even better than Hobson and Huckerby imho . So very unlucky injury ended his career so early.

Farman was a great loyal Clubman and generally a good bloke, but on shots from distance he was a bit dodgy and in my opinion cost us on occasions, should have won the Conference more comfortably. Would go for Vickers, just.
Never forget 'Farman time' !!

Farman was a great loyal Clubman and generally a good bloke, but on shots from distance he was a bit dodgy and in my opinion cost us on occasions, should have won the Conference more comfortably. Would go for Vickers, just.
Never forget 'Farman time' !!
We've had a few keepers with that problem. Rob Burch certainly let some crazy soft ones in from distance.

It's noticable how many of the non league title winners are in there. It'd be interesting to see a game of that team v the current team...i think the non league team would win.

It's noticable how many of the non league title winners are in there. It'd be interesting to see a game of that team v the current team...i think the non league team would win.
I do too. The non league team had a 'refuse to lose' mentality, whereas this team has a 'refuse to score' mentality !

I was contemplating a worst XI also but decided that I just didn't have enough hours in the day to consider all the possibles

Mark Whiley has posted a start on
https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/warrior-captain-future-cup-heroes-3603717

but I have to disagree with some of the selections as, as difficult as it is, the team is littered with players from the latter half of the decade?

His team:
GK Farman
RB Eardley
LB Toffolo
CB Raggett
CB Bostwick
CM Woodyard
CM Whitehouse
W Arnold
W Andrade
F Green
F Rhead

What would you change?

I'd include Power and remove Whitehouse.
I also think I'd remove Bostwick for Waterfall

it's difficult to stay un-clouded with regards to promotions when some players kept us in the NL?

Edit: My 11
GK Farman
RB Wood (even tho his name is now mud)
LB Toffolo
CB Raggett
CB Waterfall
CM Woodyard
CM Power
W Arnold
W Muldoon
F Tomlinson
F Rhead

Hope you haven't just exposed Bradley's new identity there....Mr Bradley Mud might now need another name change...