Team for Stevenage | Page 13 | Vital Football

Team for Stevenage

I dont understand what has happened after the bright start to the season with well everything. From the Everton game pre season it looked like Maloney had a clear plan on how he wanted to play and it worked really well but after the Barnsley game which was affected by the wrong red card on Hughes it has gone downhill and fast.
There is no tactics at the moment, hoofing it up to the centre forward or in the channels is just so strange from the football from the start of the season.
Changing players and formations like that is gonna help when it is going bad is just wrong, i am not saying be stubborn and do the same thing over and over if it is not working but it was working and not only was the points rolling in the performances was good, of course not perfect but a good start to work with.

Shouldn't be sacked at all in my opinion. Need to stick with him. Can't remember the last time sacking a manager mid season worked for us. We all knew there'd be tough parts of the season but we have the players and manager to turn it round imo

Ideally yes and like i mentioned earlier im still behind Maloney and hope he can snap us out of this poor run of form. But come the end of the Charlton game if we still havent got a win or a batch of about 4 points on the baord from those games then there is every chance a change could be made. As we could be 7 to 9 points off safety by that point which given the expected inconsistent nature of our results all season given the late transfer business due to issues with the ownership in addition a younger squad who will make mistakes would be a significant margin. Not an easy one to make up.

If a manager has only got 1 win in 10/11 games at any level nowadays they are going to be struggling now unless a decent chunk (5 to 7 of those 10 non wins) have been draws.

Your right.,
Maloney is making more changes than a set of 'traffic lights'.

I can understand dropping players who aren't playing well but we are often dropping players who played well for ones who aren't. And players like Johnny Smith Balagizi, Jones, Sze, Stones are not getting a proper chance but Lang, Magennis, Aasgard continue to struggle but get chance after chance.

I think Maloney is desperate to try and do something clever and unexpected to prove how good a tactician he is but it's not working. The tinkering comes accross as increasingly erratic and desperate.

Have a look at 1 min 30 secs, and tell me again why Tickle needs replacing.

Sweet Jesus, that penalty and supposed foul to apparently warrant a second yellow are absolutely scandalous. Thought they were horrendous decisions live and this just confirms it.

In a week when officials have been rightly or wrongly pilloried for their performances, arrogance, abilities etc you would expect them to try harder, keep their heads down and not throw fuel on the fire. With this clown it was more a case of hold my beer. I’m honestly struggling to recall a game so badly officiated since we had Dowd with the whistle. Just disgraceful.

I think given his loan is until January that Rekik has been signed to cover until Jason Kerr is back fit and boy have we missed him. Kerr's injury last season deffo had an impact on Whatmough's form post World Cup break. I also really fear we are missing Naylor too in midfield. The lack of an experienced ball winner in there is showing, if you are going to go with youngsters starting in such a key area, im always in favour of having one experienced midfield player in the squad. Someone who you can turn to in case of younger players struggling, someone who can cover for the younger players in times of difficulty and take them out of the firing line. Naylor certainly falls into that category imo.

Kerr has returned to training now and hopefully will return to the starting line up in the new year. It could be crucial for us in potentially getting away from the relegation zone.

I accept the difficult circumstances with the lateness of the summer takeover meant we missed a number of transfers who could have improved us but to me we overdid the loans. We have six of them in the squad when the max is five on a matchday meaning one is being paid to sit in the stands. Im always in favour of leaving a few loan spots free if you can for January as thats the easiest way of bringing players in at that time of the season. We should have explored the free agent market more.

I agree Rekik has been poor though which is surprising given he looked good last season. But January is probably going to have to mean sending a few loans back if we want room to free up space for new bodies. I hope some of the loans have recalls as i can already see one or two being sent back (Morrison, Rekik and Balagizi/Shaw being three possibles)

I can understand dropping players who aren't playing well but we are often dropping players who played well for ones who aren't. And players like Johnny Smith Balagizi, Jones, Sze, Stones are not getting a proper chance but Lang, Magennis, Aasgard continue to struggle but get chance after chance.

I think Maloney is desperate to try and do something clever and unexpected to prove how good a tactician he is but it's not working. The tinkering comes accross as increasingly erratic and desperate.
How can a team 'Gel' together,
when every game we have nearly half the team changed, players are not getting enough 'match' play together to form an efficient and formidable outfit.

Personally I like Rekik, I think he’s far better than Watts. One thing I don’t understand is how Morrison had fallen out of favour as I think he’s the best out of all of our centre halves. He heads and kicks everything when we come under pressure.

For me the biggest let down today is Lang. I don’t want to make it seem like I’m being unfair on him but yet again he got booked for dissent. He then put in a stupid challenge where he was obviously looking at the man and not the ball. It was soft but as well as getting sent off he could’ve also given a penalty away. To be honest his antics get on my nerves and I support the team he plays for. It’s bound to influence officials when they make decisions.

Personally I like Rekik, I think he’s far better than Watts. One thing I don’t understand is how Morrison had fallen out of favour as I think he’s the best out of all of our centre halves. He heads and kicks everything when we come under pressure.

For me the biggest let down today is Lang. I don’t want to make it seem like I’m being unfair on him but yet again he got booked for dissent. He then put in a stupid challenge where he was obviously looking at the man and not the ball. It was soft but as well as getting sent off he could’ve also given a penalty away. To be honest his antics get on my nerves and I support the team he plays for. It’s bound to influence officials when they make decisions.

Yeah, Lang has been like that now since start of last season i think. Spent too long last season going over too easily and looking for free kicks and referees cottoned onto it very quickly. In addition to these issues carrying over into this season, i have not liked at all his constant dissent, getting riled up too easily in games and other things.

He needs to have a think over things in the international break, cut out the silly antics and get back to good stuff he was doing after his good spell with Motherwell on loan which helped keep us up which he then carried on through into the 2021-22 promotion season.

How can a team 'Gel' together,
when every game we have nearly half the team changed, players are not getting enough 'match' play together to form an efficient and formidable outfit.
I would suggest that every player who is available and who is in Shaun's favoured group starts on Tuesday.
I mean the strongest team possible and in his favoured formation whatever that is.
There is no game on Saturday and the side has been rotated so often not one player can be jaded.
Magennis may be away so big deal, he isn't good enough anyway.
Start the season and the gelling again against Fleetwood. Let Fleetwood do the arrogant changes and use the competition for experiments. They are better than us with a better squad.
Come on Baloney Maloney let's start again.

Latics - Line-Ups, so far this Season.

Derby 1 Wigan Athletic 2

Sam Tickle
Sean Clare
Charlie Hughes
Liam Morrison
Tom Pearce
Thelo Aasgaard
Matthew Smith
Stephen Humphrys
Callum Lang
Callum McManaman
Charlie Wyke

Wigan Athletic 2 Northampton Town 1

Tickle
Clare
Hughes
Morrison
Pearce
Smith
Smith
Humphrys
Lang
Aasgaard
Wyke

Carlisle United 1 - 1 Wigan Athletic

Sam Tickle
Sean Clare
Charlie Hughes
Liam Morrison
Tom Pearce
Matthew Smith
Babajide Adeeko
Thelo Aasgaard
Callum Lang
Callum McManaman
Charlie Wyke

Bolton Wanderers 0 - 4 Wigan Athletic

Sam Tickle
Sean Clare
Charlie Hughes
Kelland Watts
Tom Pearce
Matthew Smith
Babajide Adeeko
Stephen Humphrys
Callum Lang
Callum McManaman
Charlie Wyke

Wigan Athletic 0 - 2 Barnsley

Sam Tickle
Sean Clare
Charlie Hughes
Kelland Watts
Tom Pearce
Matthew Smith
Babajide Adeeko
Stephen Humphrys
Callum Lang
Callum McManaman
Charlie Wyke

Blackpool 2 - 1 Wigan Athletic

Sam Tickle
Sean Clare
Liam Morrison
Kelland Watts
Tom Pearce
Babajide Adeeko
Matthew Smith
Stephen Humphrys
Callum Lang
Callum McManaman
Charlie Wyke

Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Cambridge United

Sam Tickle
Sean Clare
Charlie Hughes
Liam Morrison
Omar Rekik
Matthew Smith
Babajide Adeeko
Martial Godo
Stephen Humphrys
Thelo Aasgaard
Charlie Wyke

Bristol Rovers 4 - 1 Wigan Athletic

Sam Tickle
Sean Clare
Liam Morrison
Charlie Hughes
Omar Rekik
Babajide Adeeko
Matthew Smith
Martial Godo
Callum Lang
Thelo Aasgaard
Charlie Wyke

Wigan Athletic 1 - 2 Portsmouth

Sam Tickle
Steven Sessegnon
Charlie Hughes
Kelland Watts
Omar Rekik
Babajide Adeeko
Scott Smith
Stephen Humphrys
Thelo Aasgaard
Martial Godo
Charlie Wyke

Burton Albion 2 - 1 Wigan Athletic

Sam Tickle
Kelland Watts
Charlie Hughes
Omar Rekik
Sean Clare
Liam Shaw
Babajide Adeeko
Tom Pearce
Callum McManaman
Josh Magennis
Callum Lang

Stevenage 1 - 0 Wigan Athletic

Sam Tickle
Omar Rekik
Charlie Hughes
Kelland Watts
Sean Clare
Thelo Aasgaard
Babajide Adeeko
Steven Sessegnon
Callum Lang
Martial Godo
Stephen Humphrys

Josh Magennis says referee Alan Young pledged to 'keep his cards in his pocket' during Wigan Athletic's trip to Stevenage - before awarding what is believed to be a record number of cards in an EFL game.

josh.jpg

Shaun Maloney admitted referee Alan Young 'got it very, very wrong,
in the majority of what he did' as Wigan Athletic crashed 1-0
at Stevenage Borough.

Maloney said:

"In the first half, we had six fouls and four yellows, and they had 11 and zero.
"I'm not one for getting opponents yellow cards, but I needed to let the referee know.
"I've been in the game for a long time, and I've not seen a referee have that big an impact in a game...which was obviously negative for us."

Josh Magennis says referee Alan Young pledged to 'keep his cards in his pocket' during Wigan Athletic's trip to Stevenage - before awarding what is believed to be a record number of cards in an EFL game.

View attachment 68795

Can see the totally inept player and so called captain leads the young impressionable kids by example by ragging an opposition player by the shirt neck. Pathetic. Just wish he could show the same passion in front of goal. One of the worst signings ever made. Worse than Neil Morton. No wonder Shaun is struggling with this standard of player.

Shaun Maloney admitted referee Alan Young 'got it very, very wrong,
in the majority of what he did' as Wigan Athletic crashed 1-0
at Stevenage Borough.

Maloney said:

"In the first half, we had six fouls and four yellows, and they had 11 and zero.
"I'm not one for getting opponents yellow cards, but I needed to let the referee know.
"I've been in the game for a long time, and I've not seen a referee have that big an impact in a game...which was obviously negative for us."

The referee did get it wrong but not half as wrong as Baloney Maloney and his constant swapping and changing and awfull tactics.

Have a look at 1 min 30 secs, and tell me again why Tickle needs replacing.

That's never a red card for Lang. He looks up to see where the ball will drop, checks to see where their player is, goes and stands directly under where the ball will land, doesn't have his arms out, doesn't jump. If the Stevenage player hadn't flown into Langs back, the ball would have landed directly on Langs head. Two players going for the same ball and Lang just gets there first, wouldn't have given a foul either way. Not sure why the Stevenage player is feigning an injury on the floor. Terrible refereeing.

Let's be honest here,
That's never a red card for Lang. He looks up to see where the ball will drop, checks to see where their player is, goes and stands directly under where the ball will land, doesn't have his arms out, doesn't jump. If the Stevenage player hadn't flown into Langs back, the ball would have landed directly on Langs head. Two players going for the same ball and Lang just gets there first, wouldn't have given a foul either way. Not sure why the Stevenage player is feigning an injury on the floor. Terrible refereeing.
It's a 2nd yellow all day for me.

He's lost the flight of the ball and watches the player then takes the player out. Its dangerous play and a yellow plus its in the box so we got away with one there.

If we are honest you can understand the majority of the cards, sessegnin kicked the ball away, thelo pulled back the man to break an attack down, lang booked for dissent etc.

The ref wasn't good but he wasn't bad he was just card happy and at that point as a team/manager we should have stopped making stupid challenges and pull backs etc.

For weeks I've been saying we are ill disciplined both on and off pitch and it's catching up with us.