Team for Stevenage | Page 12 | Vital Football

Team for Stevenage

Was told a few weeks ago I said Danson but must be the one who is running the show. That All bonuses. Had been stopped. For all staff. And a good few was not happy. That was from I bloke whose lad works at the latics. But as always some didn’t believe no reason the bloke would make it up

Sleepwalking towards another relegation here. Been watching us for about 30 years now and I’m struggling to remember football as bad as this.
This,
we are not 'too good' to get relegated, 'we will' if we continue with this form,
we don't look like a settled and cohesive team and losing our tempers and players being sent-off is not helping our cause.

We are not putting teams under constant pressure and creating scoring chances, we are 'sitting-back' and letting teams come at us and this 'tactic' is not working and will never work with this young and in-experienced team.

On train back and effectively there’s two parts to the analysis. Ourselves and Phil Dowds love child.

Firstly ourselves. Another unpredicted line up and a strange midfield set up. We look far removed from the side that started the season and whilst we are missing Matt Smith there has to be more to it. To be honest I’m struggling to identify a style of play or what tactics we are employing. It’s dire to watch. Stevange game plan was simple. It’s basic football but they look well drilled in it and make the game a battle. Go to ball was the diagonal into our box, predominantly from their left but we were that naive we couldn’t counter it at source. Bar a long range effort 1st half and Magennis blazing over from 12 yards in the 2nd we created very little. Effort is there from most, but we are desperately lacking experience and a leader, something that was identified before the window shut. Magennis is the worst captain I’ve seen us have in nearly 40 years. Lang is no on pitch leader either. This break has come at an ideal time. It’s still only a 1/4 season gone so no need for panic but there needs to be drastic improvement in two weeks time or we will be in a relegation battle if we carry on so poorly.

As for the prick with the whistle, I’m struggling to recall a more incompetent and biased official since Phil Dowd. He had zero game management and that brawl second half was due to his incompetence. Set his stall out early with a soft yellow after two minutes for a ball wing tapped two yards. Stupid but a quiet word so early in the match would have sufficed. It was never a penalty. Aderko clearly won the ball, I don’t even think they appealed for it. Thelo then booked for a pull back. It was soft undoubtedly, but he gave fouls for identical things without brandishing a yellow. The corner that never was was rightly challenged by Lang who was captain. He just waved a yellow at him with complete disdain. His applauding came after. His second yellow was certainly not worthy of one, whether it was foul or not. It was even in the box which he missed. However he couldn’t wait to brandish the red which he did with such arrogance. He lost total control at that point booking players and coaches for fun.

The second half melee was a direct result of his inability to manage the game. If he had immediately intervened it could have been avoided but just stood back like a scarred rabbit whilst his linesman and 4 official dealt with it. It was them who told him it was red as he was motionless when it happened and is why our bench intervened.

It’s about time Maloney stood up and speaks his mind about this catalogue of poor decisions that have gone against us. Whether he’s fined or not it may gain him some respect in the dressing room. He should be demanding a meeting with the head of referees and present them video analysis of this continued incompetence otherwise I suspect it’ll just carry on.

We were very poor today so it’s perhaps churlish to blame this clown for a defeat but factually we lost by a penalty that never was.
Best and most accurate post of the day

That was a terrible refereeing performances, we've had some bad officials this season but he's the worst.

Never a penalty, but i suspect Lang may have said something for a second yellow but if the ref has given a secobd yellow for that then it's unforgivable. Also it was in the penalty area so he's mucked it up whatever way you slice it.

But at the same time there is absolutely no way we can just blame refs every week and shift responsibility for our failings onto them as there is clearly so much fundamentally wrong at the moment. We are poor at everything.

You didn't need any hindsight to see the team selection and tactics were completely wrong again - it was just playing into Stevenages hands. It was effectively 5-1-4, with a deep defence, no press, no protection for the defence, no one tracking back meaning we completely surrendered midfield. Every time they got wide we had no one there to stop the cross, every time they carried the ball they ran half the length of the pitch were unchallenged, every time they playrd a ball forward they had unlimited space and every second ball they comfortably picked up. Not just that but we had absolutely no way to get the ball to the forward players other than long balls that we lost every time or Godo or Humphrys picking up the ball in their own half and trying to dribble it past everyone single handedly. It was a tactical shambles before we even had Lang sent off.

Too many of the players themselves also aren't taking responsibility, their work rate, discipline and fight just isn't there. There is absolutely no cohesion in the side, no one showing for the ball to help each other, if we do get the ball half the team can't be bothered joining attacks and if we need to defend half the team don't bother helping. It's like the team is divided in half and neither side really helps the other.

The last 30 or so minutes after we made some subs we finally had a bit of a go at them and it still wasn't great but there was at least a bit of fight and intensity but it was too little too late.

The ref, manager and players were all awful today and even if we had a decent ref I don't think we were remotely good enough in our own right.

Those first few games we were doing everything right - all the little details that allow you to play good effective football were there. But we've stopped doing virtually all of that and it's now decended into Kolo Toure levels of terrible. I have no idea what has happened but I wonder for such a drastic collapse has something gone on behind the scenes? As after the Bolton game it's been like a switch has been flipped and we're a shadow of what we were previously doing. It's not like we are trying to play as we did but the opposition has got better and stopping it or we are trying to pass but getting it wrong we've just slowed the tempo right down, stopped moving, stopped working, stopped fighting. It's diabolical.

I don't think Maloney is going anywhere yet but it does look like he's losing the plot. We are getting cut adrift a bit and even without the points deduction we'd be in the relegation battle at this point. This is not a bad set of players, they've proven what they can do already and yes we've got some I injuries and some poor refs but these performances are horrendous and don't give any indication that we are moving in the right direction or we are even learning. Maloney will get more time but he needs to show us something to give us a reason to keep faith ASAP as this won't be allowed to keep going on much longer if there are no signs of light at the end of the tunnel.

Lang never got chance to say anything. He ran toward him with such gusto with yellow in hand to brandish in his face. I think that’s why he missed it was in the box he was just looking for any excuse to send him and didn’t even consider it. As I said I’m not sure it was even a foul but there is no way it was worthy of a second yellow. His performance had to be seen to be believed.

As to what has gone on behind the scenes I think Humphrey’s public demotion to the bench hints at that. Was poor management for me and I’m not sure such an authoritarian approach is the right way to go.,However the constant swapping and changing is not breeding cohesion. Stevenage approach can’t have been unexpected as their patterns of play are obvious so how we didn’t set up to counter it is worrying. Maloney needs to use this break wisely. Take time off and go away for a few days to reflect and refocus.

He can be erratic with his crossing but not many fullbacks put a good ball in every time. It only takes 1 decent ball in to score a goal. Our other fullbacks don’t venture far enough forward to put a ball in and keep passing sideways or backwards. I like Pearce because he keeps bombing forward and goes round the outside to put crosses in.

Jonny Smith has impressed me every time I’ve seen him but can’t seem to get a start. He also looks to get the ball in the box and looks a tricky wide player with a bit of pace.

There’s definitely some players with ability in the squad. The last 2 games as soon as I’ve seen the starting 11 I’ve been concerned though. It was the forward line v Burton and then the midfield today that I couldn’t understand.

That was a terrible refereeing performances, we've had some bad officials this season but he's the worst.

Never a penalty, but i suspect Lang may have said something for a second yellow but if the ref has given a secobd yellow for that then it's unforgivable. Also it was in the penalty area so he's mucked it up whatever way you slice it.

But at the same time there is absolutely no way we can just blame refs every week and shift responsibility for our failings onto them as there is clearly so much fundamentally wrong at the moment. We are poor at everything.

You didn't need any hindsight to see the team selection and tactics were completely wrong again - it was just playing into Stevenages hands. It was effectively 5-1-4, with a deep defence, no press, no protection for the defence, no one tracking back meaning we completely surrendered midfield. Every time they got wide we had no one there to stop the cross, every time they carried the ball they ran half the length of the pitch were unchallenged, every time they playrd a ball forward they had unlimited space and every second ball they comfortably picked up. Not just that but we had absolutely no way to get the ball to the forward players other than long balls that we lost every time or Godo or Humphrys picking up the ball in their own half and trying to dribble it past everyone single handedly. It was a tactical shambles before we even had Lang sent off.

Too many of the players themselves also aren't taking responsibility, their work rate, discipline and fight just isn't there. There is absolutely no cohesion in the side, no one showing for the ball to help each other, if we do get the ball half the team can't be bothered joining attacks and if we need to defend half the team don't bother helping. It's like the team is divided in half and neither side really helps the other.

The last 30 or so minutes after we made some subs we finally had a bit of a go at them and it still wasn't great but there was at least a bit of fight and intensity but it was too little too late.

The ref, manager and players were all awful today and even if we had a decent ref I don't think we were remotely good enough in our own right.

Those first few games we were doing everything right - all the little details that allow you to play good effective football were there. But we've stopped doing virtually all of that and it's now decended into Kolo Toure levels of terrible. I have no idea what has happened but I wonder for such a drastic collapse has something gone on behind the scenes? As after the Bolton game it's been like a switch has been flipped and we're a shadow of what we were previously doing. It's not like we are trying to play as we did but the opposition has got better and stopping it or we are trying to pass but getting it wrong we've just slowed the tempo right down, stopped moving, stopped working, stopped fighting. It's diabolical.

I don't think Maloney is going anywhere yet but it does look like he's losing the plot. We are getting cut adrift a bit and even without the points deduction we'd be in the relegation battle at this point. This is not a bad set of players, they've proven what they can do already and yes we've got some I injuries and some poor refs but these performances are horrendous and don't give any indication that we are moving in the right direction or we are even learning. Maloney will get more time but he needs to show us something to give us a reason to keep faith ASAP as this won't be allowed to keep going on much longer if there are no signs of light at the end of the tunnel.

Perfectly worded KdZ, couldnt have put it better myself.

My thoughts on this season where that we would be nowhere near the playoffs but would be away from the drop zone and easing into somewhere between 13th and 16th in the final standings even with the points deduction. I never got carried away early doors, even with the early Bolton and Derby away wins. Perhaps there was an element of other sides underestimating us or a feeling of nothing to lose due to being on minus points early doors from us. But i agree the Bolton away game has proven a big turning point for us. Compare and contrast the performances more than just the results since then, its been like watching two different sides.

Im not in the Maloney out brigade yet. Still think given all the mitigating circumstances of the summer with the takeover meaning we missed out on possible targets under the old regime and the minus 8 deduction that Maloney should be given time to turn this around. However, i dont think we can look to give him a sizeable length of time longer if results dont improve. What been concerning is not necessarily just the results but the performances too, i can live with some results like Bristol.Rovers away as an example being poor. But its even been the likes of Cambridge at home which we won but were hanging on for dear life at the end. We could have had zero complaints had we lost that game.

We will go into the Exeter game on the back of one win in seven games with six defeats inbetween the Cambridge win. Had it been only one win in seven but with 2 or 3 draws alongside a few defeats then you can accept it more as performances clearly would have been good enough to get us some points on the board which are a big help in our predicament. But the performances such as Burton away are giving you little confidence that we can turn this around at present. Exeter our next opponents in the league will go into that game on the back of a four game losing run. Normally id back ourselves to further the misery for them next time out. Alas given our recent performances i have zero confidence of even getting a point out of them in two weeks time.

I think the next four league games up until the Charlton home game are crucial for Maloney, failure to get a win from any of those matches would mean its then one win in 11 games. Whenever you get a run like that irrespective of pre season expectations, thats danger territory for any manager in any league as its relegation form. One thing i will say with Maloney is that given the disproportionate amount of away games comparative to home games we have had so far, that has perhaps meant that the recent poor run has not turned into a 'no way back for him' territory yet with home fans. However from Oxford at home on 24th October up until Barnsley away on NYD 2024, that wont be the case. I think its a run of games which will decide whether we are likely to face a relegation fight till the end of the season or not.

I say Charlton could be the tipping point game as after that we have Cheltenham away, Wycombe at home, Leyton Orient away, Fleetwood at home, Reading away, Port Vale away and Carlisle at home. A run of fixtures which are 'nicer' on paper than what we have had so far. Im also weary of fact that if Burton beat Cambridge at home on Monday then we will be 6 points adrift of safety. Already a sizeable margin and once it starts getting into 2 wins to get out of drop zone category for a manager, they are always in a vulnerable state.

International break has come at a good time for Maloney and we need now to use it well. Need to start going back to what we did early doors, a more settled team, more shots at goal and chances being created, thats a major issue for us at the moment. Barring Hughes' goal and Macca's chance we didnt create a thing against a relegation rival like Burton midweek. Which is extremely worrying.

Not in very worried mode and still behind Maloney for the time being but need some results and need them quick. As does Shaun, a few more bad results and suddenly the narrative and opinions of the fanbase could shiftly change

He can be erratic with his crossing but not many fullbacks put a good ball in every time. It only takes 1 decent ball in to score a goal. Our other fullbacks don’t venture far enough forward to put a ball in and keep passing sideways or backwards. I like Pearce because he keeps bombing forward and goes round the outside to put crosses in.

Jonny Smith has impressed me every time I’ve seen him but can’t seem to get a start. He also looks to get the ball in the box and looks a tricky wide player with a bit of pace.

There’s definitely some players with ability in the squad. The last 2 games as soon as I’ve seen the starting 11 I’ve been concerned though. It was the forward line v Burton and then the midfield today that I couldn’t understand.
Maybe Pearce bombing forward and the fact that Jonny Smith can play wide and beat defenders are the reasons why Pearce gets dropped and Smith can't get a start. Don't fit in to a passing/possession game.

Maybe Pearce bombing forward and the fact that Jonny Smith can play wide and beat defenders are the reasons why Pearce gets dropped and Smith can't get a start. Don't fit in to a passing/possession game.
In this league its very difficult to play a passing game. I’d just go 442 now and make sure we’re solid defensively but carry a threat going forwards with the 2 attackers. The team really needs to work on its shape in and out of possession. For me Shaw is a must in midfield due to his physical presence and Humphrys needs to used as a striker.

But it will end up being a company that runs both clubs has one a wigan footballing company
So it could be possible to take from one to support or fund the other has it will be a single company with all funds going into one bank account

You won't be able to do that. If the club got a sell on fee for Robinson it wouldn't even cover the money he's already spent this season let alone give him enough surplus to fund something else. The rumour is very obviously made up.

Football clubs lose money annually, you have zero chance making enough profit to subsidise anything else. If we get to break even we'll be a rarity in the EFL.

In this league its very difficult to play a passing game. I’d just go 442 now and make sure we’re solid defensively but carry a threat going forwards with the 2 attackers. The team really needs to work on its shape in and out of possession. For me Shaw is a must in midfield due to his physical presence and Humphrys needs to used as a striker.

I think you can play the passing game at this level, teams with weaker squads than ours do.

But you've got to do the basic stuff right to make it work and we're just not. You can't play any style well with what we are doing currently it's a complete mess.

Agree Shaw should've been starting for weeks, Balagizi needs a chance to start too. We need to just get back to basics and be pragmatic.

Richardson had his limitations in L1 but he understood getting the basics right and he had us doing those things as well as anyone. Right now we're not doing the basics and not even playing any better football. It's worse in both departments.

Last edited:
I think you can play the passing game at this level, teams with weaker squads than ours do.

But you've got to do the basic stuff right to make it work and we're just not. You can't play any style well with what we are doing currently it's a complete mess.

Agree Shaw should've been starting for weeks, Balagizi needs a chance to start too. We need to just get back to basics and be pragmatic.

Richardson had his limitations but he understood getting the basics right and he had us doing those things well. Right now we're not doing the basics and not even playing any better football. It's worse in both departments.
Gone backwards since we have brought Rekik back in the side.

I've just realised that in a funny twist of fate Maloney's job may end up depending on getting a result against Gary Caldwell's Exeter

Please do us a favour Gary I beg

I feel he will get minimum till end of Oxford at home. As i said in my original post that a weird quirk of our fixture list is playing much more away games than home ones so far. That will even itself out in the next few weeks given how many more home games we have to balance it out. When a manager's time is up at a club, its often the home fans' discontent which seals their fate. 200 to 500 away fans at Stevenage, Bristol Rovers or Exeter wont prove decisive in Malomey getting the boot, i fear it may be 7,000 or so home fans expressing discontent after 1 point from two home games vs Oxford and Shrewsbury which sinks us into the relegation mire.

I think most of us were very excited about him coming back but he's been poor.

I have no idea why we dropped Morrison for Watts either or Sessegnon for Pearce.

The original back 4 was doing well and since we started changing it we've been no better.
Your right.,
Maloney is making more changes than a set of 'traffic lights'.

I feel he will get minimum till end of Oxford at home. As i said in my original post that a weird quirk of our fixture list is playing much more away games than home ones so far. That will even itself out in the next few weeks given how many more home games we have to balance it out. When a manager's time is up at a club, its often the home fans' discontent which seals their fate. 200 to 500 away fans at Stevenage, Bristol Rovers or Exeter wont prove decisive in Malomey getting the boot, i fear it may be 7,000 or so home fans expressing discontent after 1 point from two home games vs Oxford and Shrewsbury which sinks us into the relegation mire.
Shouldn't be sacked at all in my opinion. Need to stick with him. Can't remember the last time sacking a manager mid season worked for us. We all knew there'd be tough parts of the season but we have the players and manager to turn it round imo