Team for next year/game... | Vital Football

Team for next year/game...

alphabet_king

Vital 1st Team Regular
With a couple of signings coming in now (and hopefully a couple more to come) I was just thinking about the team for the start of the season, or maybe more realisically, the first friendly)....

Of course I sort of assume we would sign some more players (in particular a few CBs), but this is based on the squad we have now...

I can see JED continuing with the same formation as last year. Playing a diamond with Knott replacing Dack at the tip of it. There's also the very likely possibility i've completely forgotten about a key player or included too many players or something stupid, so excuse me if i have.

GK - Nelson
RB - Jackson
CB - Ehmer
CB - ? (Would be morris if we had to, but I am assuming we will sign a couple of CBs in the next few weeks)
LB - Garmston
CDM - Wright
LCM - Byrne
RCM - Osadebe/Morris/Hessenthaler
CAM (Free Role) - Knott / Dack
ST - Norris
ST - McDonald

Clearly we need 2 new CBs. I think we also need backup at Right/Left back too (can Morris play there). Assuming he's not already signed and I've missed it, I can see Oshilaja being one of the CBs, and maybe even El-Abd who is now unattached. However if we signed these two as the CBs I would think we'd struggle to go above mid table. They are okay players in League 1 but are probably playing at their potential and clearly are not stand out players meant to be in the championship like Egan. I know we did get 4 clean sheets in a row or something when El-Abd played, but the whole team was set up defensively at this time. While he of course played his part, and played well in some game, it was not just his introduction that caused the good defensive displays. We simply did not come forward at all (it was when Dack was injured).

I would also be looking for a quality Central Midfielder who is good coming forward too, unless we feel that Osadebe is going to be breaking into the first team this year. I don't know how much we're planning on playing the youngsters either, but I would think we might struggle for creativity without bringing somebody else in.

We also need a quality Striker. After Donnelly's 2nd half to last year I think he's going to be a 4th choice striker next year. Samuel is obviously an option, although he also dropped off towards the end of the season. I would want to be looking to improve on the likes of Samuel and sign a quality striker. I think JED is also looking at Loan options for this position. Somebody to replace Norris maybe if he's got the confidence that McDonald will be the 15-20 goal a season striker we are desperate for...

So that's 2 CBs, a quality CM, and a quality Striker - 4 players, and maybe some backup/fringe players. A bit of work to do for JED!

That sounds about right to me AK

Quality over quantity

Unless you are minted like Wigan were, you've got to take full advantage of the loan system as Burton did.

A winger?

A winger wouldn't suit our system at all. Much like when Mcglashen came on last year and looked totally out of place. He was a good player, but just did not suit the system. A winger would be wasted at gills IMO, just as McGlashen was.

We get our width from the Full backs, the strikers, dack/knott (in the free role), who would then be assisted with the CMs. This is why I suggested we needed another creative CM. One with a bit of pace that can put a cross in too, i.e. to help down the wings.

I am surprised that Dack hasn't gone yet, but maybe the Euros is putting the transfer business back a couple of weeks.

We need a decent goalscorer to make an impression next season.

markinkent - 4/7/2016 17:22

I am surprised that Dack hasn't gone yet, but maybe the Euros is putting the transfer business back a couple of weeks.

We need a decent goalscorer to make an impression next season.[
/QUOTE]
Another striker is needed, but more importantly we need the midfield to provide the balls they can use. The second half of last season the back line just seemed to ignore the midfield and either run it down the flanks or hump over the top. without an effective target man the strikers had no chance