Talent Watch | Vital Football

Talent Watch

Morbid

Vital Squad Member
Football League scouts continue to monitor the progress of Harrogate Town goalkeeper Peter Crook – despite his FA Cup clanger earlier this month.

Blackpool boss Gary Bowyer and Leeds United scout Neil Sullivan were two men spotted at the CNG Stadium on Tuesday night and were casting their eye over the England C international.

Crook has been a mainstay in goal for Town since taking the gloves from Phil Barnes two years ago and had a trial at Premier League newboys Burnley in the summer.

Town boss Simon Weaver confirmed that the club had been approached by Crook’s agent to allow him to have another spell on trial. But the request was refused.

Weaver said: “I remain with the stance that he is a contracted player at Harrogate Town and they should back their own naked eye like what always used to happen.

“If people want to scout they should get in the car like I do to go and watch players. If I wanted a Fylde centre forward, would I be allowed him on trial? I doubt it.

“You are risking a contracted player. The fans would be in uproar if he went down the road for a trial and breaks his leg.

“We are nine down already, we don’t want our number one down too. However if they come in with a bid, we would have to consider it.”

The irony is a an extensive scouting network need not be expensive; there are knowledgeable supporters scattered around the country who watch a lot of football and can pass on reports for further investigation by senior scouts.

Bear ! If you have a proper scouting system it does pay dividends in the end. Blackpool always want to do it on the cheap. Remember my brief meeting with Paul Ince - He was all for it but KO wouldn't back him. The 4 scouts at the time were not just for blackpool but for other clubs as well so you can imagine The scout who finds a good prospect thinking " Shall I give him to Blackpool or Newcastle" NO contest!
Blackpool don't even pay expenses for travelling in the Fylde and district area! That really tells you something!