Taking the Knee | Page 31 | Vital Football

Taking the Knee

Weren’t Poland and Hungary the countries who were erecting massive barb wire fences to keep immigrants out last year?
Maybe my memory is failing.

They were, which only makes our poor response look more feeble still. Interesting that Orban has moved swiftly and demonstrably against Putin while our government hesitates over whether to placate the obsessives or do the right thing.

They were, which only makes our poor response look more feeble still. Interesting that Orban has moved swiftly and demonstrably against Putin while our government hesitates over whether to placate the obsessives or do the right thing.
Totally agree mate.
The U.K. response has been quite shameful in my opinion.
Given that nearly all of the applicants have family already in the U.K. who can sponsor them, the paper work should be a formality.

The Syrian and Ukraine situations have subtle differences and have been dealt with the wrong way round by us IMO. Men of fighting age came from Syria, lied about their age to get entry as children and some were found later to be on international watch lists for terrorism. No secrets given away there, it was publicised at the time.
Massive error caused by lack of proper checks (mainly at Calais) which has now threatened national security and may well be costing millions in surveillance etc.
Fast forward to now where we have (mainly) women and children leaving their men behind to fight, not knowing if they'll ever meet again, and they deserve our help (pretty much agreed by all on here).
Is it a case of learning from mistakes? Maybe taking a cautious approach due to sheer numbers? No idea, it's no secret that red tape and beaurocracy are notorious here but we can only hope that stuff gets sped up to get these people in.

"All human life is important to me and I make no distinction based upon skin colour or religion or place of birth." What about their politics? I seem to remember you publicising a party when Mrs Thatcher died 🤔

Totally agree mate.
The U.K. response has been quite shameful in my opinion.
Given that nearly all of the applicants have family already in the U.K. who can sponsor them, the paper work should be a formality.

Sometimes, the lack of a passport causes delay in processing refugees. One would think that most of the adults from the Ukraine seeking refuge will have valid passports - thus making the current process more straightforward ?

"All human life is important to me and I make no distinction based upon skin colour or religion or place of birth." What about their politics? I seem to remember you publicising a party when Mrs Thatcher died 🤔

Yeah but that was different Nobs. Apparently she was evil and deserved it.

Not comparing at all. The point is that they were all humans.
Who decides who ranks where on a scale, at the end of the day its an individual choice so do we actually believe all humans lives matter or ....

Was she human?!

I hope Putin gets a bullet in the head too, for what it's worth.

What a hypocrite!

No Jerry, I don't believe all lives do matter. Those mentioned (except Thatcher) are responsible for the taking of millions of lives and the misery of many millions more. I don't think society will miss the latest dictator to decide he wants to rule the world. A few ounces of lead is a small price to pay and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delivered in the near future .

Are you a real man, valencia? I bet you've got a really big dick too, because you sure like waving it around...

You and 3x6; with your opinions on what constitutes the deserving/undeserving poor, or 'real men', you both belong in the Nineteenth Century. You'd have fitted in there. You'd have been free to be as mysognistic and racist as you pleased, celebrate the triumph of the British Empire, and condemn the undeserving to the poor house.

Youse were both born in the wrong time. It must be difficult for you, getting older and seeing how popular opinion is changing, not being able to say exactly what you feel and being restricted to innuendo and dog whistling. My heart bleeds for the pair of you...
Excellent response Buddha but please don't say "youse". I shuddered at that Scouse terminology.
:-)

The Syrian and Ukraine situations have subtle differences and have been dealt with the wrong way round by us IMO. Men of fighting age came from Syria, lied about their age to get entry as children and some were found later to be on international watch lists for terrorism. No secrets given away there, it was publicised at the time.
Massive error caused by lack of proper checks (mainly at Calais) which has now threatened national security and may well be costing millions in surveillance etc.
Fast forward to now where we have (mainly) women and children leaving their men behind to fight, not knowing if they'll ever meet again, and they deserve our help (pretty much agreed by all on here).
Is it a case of learning from mistakes? Maybe taking a cautious approach due to sheer numbers? No idea, it's no secret that red tape and beaurocracy are notorious here but we can only hope that stuff gets sped up to get these people in.
Great post Nobby. Spot on about the difference between the people that arrived from Syria, and those that are escaping the Ukraine

Isn’t it illegal for men of a fighting age to leave Ukraine? Are you advocating that that stipulation should be in place every time a peaceful country becomes a war zone?

Isn’t it illegal for men of a fighting age to leave Ukraine? Are you advocating that that stipulation should be in place every time a peaceful country becomes a war zone?
Would you (personally) need a prohibition on leaving , to oblige you to defend your country ?

Indeed men between the ages of 18 and 60 have to remain and fight

Would you (personally) need a prohibition on leaving , to oblige you to defend your country ?

I don’t know what I would do because (thankfully) I’ve never even come close to being in that situation. I can’t give you an answer.

I am interested in the thought that men can’t be ‘worthy’ refugees though.