Swansea City Fan Comments | Vital Football

Swansea City Fan Comments

Calvin Plummer

Vital Football Legend
Always enjoyed playing Forest not just in the play offs - but usually decent games. Some very good pubs in Nottingham.

They've assembled a big squad with good depth, strong midfielders, fast, hungry wingers and a decent striker.

Aitor Karanka is too defensive though, you need to win games in this division.

Yacob, Gedioura or whatever the devil his name is are tough to break. Carvalho, Soudani and Gil can cause all sort of trouble.

If the ref doesn't get on top of Forest they will kick the **** out of our players.

The old Boots headquarters near the City Ground has been covered into a really nice watering hole selling a vast choice of real ales and doing interesting food.

Great, great memories of this fixture. They were still shouting for their team at 2-1 down, but Pratley destroyed them!!
Amazing atmosphere and their fans were pretty tidy to us in defeat.

Forest are 14th. Last season they ended 17th. They haven't been a top division club for 20 years. In that time they have made the play offs 3 times and spent 3 seasons in League 1. Yet I'm seeing, all over the place, how wonderful they are and what a big club they are. This is a game I will disappointed to lose.

Forest history of 2 champions league titles explain their ‘big club’ label. Nice to rub their noses in it but still one hell of an achievement. This season they’ve spend £30m or so on building a high quality squad. I hope we smash them tomorrow but no doubt they’ll be contenders over the season. But then knowing who you are your football knowledge could be written on a very small postage stamp. Why bother posting about football?

Forest are Dirty as hell.

Does anyone have any other streams? This one is broken as all it shows is Forest attacking.

Jesus fck. They're kicking us all over the field.

How was that not a red?

Good save Mulder, hope we wake up second half, going to be lucky of we go in even.

They have been the better team 1st half no doubt.

They could easily be ahead already. Couple of near misses.

Definitely - at fouling, dirty, filthy side.

That maybe but they've had us penned in our half, we've had break aways.

Forest are getting away with all sorts of dirty tactics. The ref is giving us no protection whatsoever and missing their blatant cheating.

Have to say seeing that kick the ball into colback's face its not a one sided problem this ref... he's just bad at his job.

Horrible team.

Forest belong in the conference. Team of thugs that were encouraged to express themselves by the ref.

I'd love to know how the ref gets away with a display like today. Awful.

I suppose the one positive take away from a dire game is that our team of juveniles managed to hold on for the draw against a more experienced team of Desperate Dan types.

The positive I'm taking is that we were just as poor as them for a fraction of the price.

Forest were almost as poor as us.

Forest are one of the dirtiest sides I have seen for a while.

They could easily have had 7 or 8 yellows, a couple of them 2nd yellows. Shockingly bad ref.

Couldn't agree more, shocking ref - let everything go, which suited them. Physical Forest were allowed tug, pull and foul all afternoon.

If we don't give a bit back we will continue to get it.

Correct. We are like a bunch of fannies out there at times.

A lot of thugs in red out there. That's our new reality and we have to get on with it.

We were dreadful and forest weren't far behind.

Dirty players, was my impression of the opposition.

0-0 result which was all both teams could hope for and deserved.

Forest could have been two up as early as the fourth minute but failed to take their chances. They were the superior team and could have won this game comfortably had they concentrated on playing football. Instead they got so wrapped up on committing foul after foul, they forgot what they were supposed to do – score goals.

We were pretty thuggish but that's what works against them and the ref was a bit soft, but we were the better side just didn't take the chances they barely made pants work. Teams have done this to us for years, we aren't so soft anymore.

PL sides and fancy Dan sides always bitch.

Last season it was us bitching about being kicked all over the park by Cardiff like sides. Preston absolutely did it to us last season. They wiped out McKay in the first 5 minutes, he hid the entire game and they won 2-0

I'd rather play to the ref and get the points rather than be the victim and complaining.

It's not like under Montanier when we got a red card every other game

Last edited:
Thanks CP, an interesting read as always. Shame we are getting more comments about being niggly and physical than we are about our footballing ability.

There is always going to be a degree of bias when it’s your side on the receiving end I can’t say I am too thrilled by that side of our game.

Don’t want us to be pushovers by any means but if we are going to behave like that more often than not then we may as well have appointed Warnock.

I agree with Pope in that it is good to see us doing a Cardiff/Preston. Last season too many teams came and bullied us or hoodwinked the ref out of the game. This is a positive sign. Cardiff last season won the battle of minds first and then played results football. They never were that pretty to watch. If we can boss games then we have a good chance of winning games and then build confidence comes style. Much better than Brentford and Brum. Now must repeat performance and add end product but right direction.

On a related note, can anyone else remember when we came back up from league one being shocked by how physical and brutal the Championship was?

I remember Wes Morgan getting clattered and wrestled by attackers and the refs not batting an eyelid.

The reputation of the lower leagues has always been that they are very physical and based on brute force rather than skill, but coming back it wasn't like that at all. I remember forest getting bullied and shoved off the ball so easily and refs letting go stuff L1 refs would have called foul for.

It wasn't until Davies came in that we started competing a bit more physically.

Anyone else remember it like that or is it just me?

It's not for me, there's a difference between being able to look after yourself and turning into another Cardiff, Leeds, Blunts etc. We rightly reviled those sides and used to beat them by playing better football.

Once upon a time we had a philosophy and identity, now we're just a jobbing cynical typical championship side.

It's not for me, there's a difference between being able to look after yourself and turning into another Cardiff, Leeds, Blunts etc. We rightly reviled those sides and used to beat them by playing better football.

Once upon a time we had a philosophy and identity, now we're just a jobbing cynical typical championship side.

When did we beat them by playing better football?

How long ago?

Agree with this. Don’t mind being a side that can look after itself and doesn’t stand for intimidation but I am proud of the fact that we have historically been known as a footballing side and I want that to continue.

Being labelled ‘dirty Forest’ or ‘cheating bastards’ holds no appeal but then maybe I am old school where that is concerned.

When did we beat them by playing better football?

How long ago?

Too long...

We're not beating anyone through being cynical currently either.

I'm fine with being able to mix it, before your time I appreciate but I loved Psycho testing a winger with a thundering tackle but we played with respect for the opposition and in particular the referee. I just find it distasteful trying to bullying the man in the middle.

We need some steel and resolve in the team. We have been too soft for far too long.
I will gladly take this as long as we play some good football.

We've got a deep squad. We can afford to pick up a few more bookings.

If it takes a bit of bully boy tactics to get us out the league then thats fine with me. Being nice has got us nowhere.

A few bookings is ok. We can't afford to throw points away by getting red cards though.

Remember the villa home game last season. They schooled us. Im all for a bit of that. I dont give a shit what fans of other clubs think of how we beat them. They dont put asterix on the league table points total with a foot note saying *30 points achieved by players being mean bastards.

We need some steel and resolve in the team. We have been too soft for far too long.
I will gladly take this as long as we play some good football.

That's not true though, last 10 seasons of the Fair Play League:

Bottom
16th
21st
Bottom
5th
19th
19th
12th
11th
21st

Only once in the top 10 is embarrassingly poor.

I don't think we need to employ those type of tactics every game. Some teams will role over with those tactics. NFFC last season. We let teams know we can't be beaten by those tactics and thus they are forced to use others. We in turn start playing them on our terms. Confidence increases and football prevails, particularly in latter stages of games when they have been outmuscled. It is this that makes the championship so intriguing. Teams find ways of beating teams and then everyone knows how to play them. Everyone knew we could be rolled over last season. Brentford have shown that if you play narrow, close down early and short quick passes the two midfield defensive players can be passed around and the defence opened up. Thus never playing two slow defensive minded players with two wide me who won't/can't come back/defend/come in off wing.