Surely Harris has to go | Page 19 | Vital Football

Surely Harris has to go

My view is that Harris should be sacked immediately - he deserves to be. That gives us almost two weeks to use our money and get an ace new manager in for the important game v Hartlepools. If we have all these funds touted for a revamp of our team, then we should have a good kitty for a new manager, which is more important than any other signing.

The Leicester game is a one-off hit, so ideal for someone like a Hess to get the Gills passion and loyalty pumping for a one-off hit and bounce, but he's not the man for me beyond a very short caretaker role and equally not a DoF.

7 goals scored in half the season by the way.
That's less than half of the leagues top scorer Hoskins who has 15.
The next lowest team are Rochdale on 18, about 2 and a half times more than us.

We're on course to set a new record low for goals scored in a season. Not only that, we're set to absolutely smash it.

But we mostly only lose by 1, sometimes 2 and 3 rarely so it's fine.

My view is that Harris should be sacked immediately - he deserves to be. That gives us almost two weeks to use our money and get an ace new manager in for the important game v Hartlepools. If we have all these funds touted for a revamp of our team, then we should have a good kitty for a new manager, which is more important than any other signing.
An ace new manager? Any names?

Easy to be fast and loose with BG's funding but there will be a limit and after paying off Harris and Livermore and paying enough to recruit this ace manager and his staff, hopefully there is enough for a team of ace players, unless you are still certain we already have some, which you have commented before.

An ace new manager? Any names?

Easy to be fast and loose with BG's funding but there will be a limit and after paying off Harris and Livermore and paying enough to recruit this ace manager and his staff, hopefully there is enough for a team of ace players, unless you are still certain we already have some, which you have commented before.

When I say "ace" I mean in comparison to Harris. I know, for you, those of you who adore him and he can do no wrong, despite us being rock bottom of an awful League 2 having played in League One for over a decade, having scored 7 goals all season, ace would mean recruiting a Klopp or Guardiola. However, for me, after Harris's failure, an ace manager is merely someone who is experience and competent at this level, can keep us up and get is promoted next season. Not a lot to ask given the statements coming from the new owner. The players we have are not good enough, but most of them were signed by Harris and, in my opinion, they are still better than bottom of a terrible league - it's the man who coaches and motivates them that are the problem, which isn't to say that a number of them should not be replaced by "ace" players at this level.

When I say "ace" I mean in comparison to Harris. I know, for you, those of you who adore him and he can do no wrong, despite us being rock bottom of an awful League 2 having played in League One for over a decade, having scored 7 goals all season, ace would mean recruiting a Klopp or Guardiola. However, for me, after Harris's failure, an ace manager is merely someone who is experience and competent at this level, can keep us up and get is promoted next season. Not a lot to ask given the statements coming from the new owner. The players we have are not good enough, but most of them were signed by Harris and, in my opinion, they are still better than bottom of a terrible league - it's the man who coaches and motivates them that are the problem, which isn't to say that a number of them should not be replaced by "ace" players at this level.

So no names, then?

Or are we back to just "anyone but"? (Harris, Hess, Taylor, Lovell, uncle Tom Cobley and all)

Strange how fans always claim to know better than any manager, and know who they don't want, but are unable to suggest a better one with a better previous record than Harris when he was appointed.

Always simple when you do not have the money or responsibility.

Last edited:
So no names, then?

Or are we back to just "anyone but"? (Harris, Hess, Taylor, Lovell, uncle Tom Cobley and all)

Strange how fans always claim to know better than any manager, and know who they don't want, but are unable to suggest a better one with a better previous record than Harris when he was appointed.

Have you ever taken a risk in your life GBN?Does the haze of apathy ever leave your head?. Tell you what let's keep doing the same shit that's been working so well this season hey?

There's clearly no possibility of anyone doing a better job (I'd even fancy my chances than the shite Harris is churning out) so let's not even try hey.

We have no plan now so lets say fuck it and gamble.

Apathy GBN.

So no names, then?

To be fair mate there's always this argument whenever a manager is under pressure or leaves the job at Gills, I never thought we'd go for Evans and I didn't think we'd attract someone like Harris. With a new owner it's even more unknown but I agree with your point regarding ' anything but ', fans can't moan about our situation then suggest failures of years gone by.

So no names, then?

Harris' record at Cardiff and Millwall was not that good, both clubs dispensed with his services , what does that tell you?
There are plenty of good candidates out there as I am sure you'll see in time.

So no names, then?

Strange how fans always claim to know better than any manager, and know who they don't want, but are unable to suggest a better one.

Are you only wanting names of out of work managers? If not and I can choose anyone right now, and for the long term, it would be the Cowley brothers at Portsmouth. They did an amazing job in non-league with Lincoln and took them to the brink of the Championship within a few years whilst developing and selling players along the way. Totally transformed a club down on its luck.

Think big, Cowley’s in.

So no names, then?

I'm not a football agent, so don't know exactly who is available, but I bet there are lots of free agent former managers available. Just from here the names Steve Bruce and Mick McCarthy have been touted. Bruce has operated at a high level as a manager, so would acquire a good wage, but, let's be honest, he's not done well at Championship level recently so is likely to acquire lower suitors - a dream homecoming may be ideal. McCarthy equally has operated at a higher level, but not for some time, so really would be looking at a lower league job for his next role. His style is very long ball and physical, so the former no different from Harris (and Evans) and the latter something that would be ideal for our predicament and apparently he lives fairly locally. These are just two random names - I imagine that there are a lot more out there of a similar experience (certainly a lot better than your hero).

And before you say that we effectively can't afford or entice anyone - I recall when Evans left, lots on here (probably you included) said that we could never get someone like Harris or others touted like Mick Flynn and the former Ipswich manager (forget his name). It transpired that we did get Harris, Flynn went to Walsall (a league below us then) and the Ipswich guy went to non-league Chesterfield. And this was before we had money!

Some Gills fans need to up their standards and expectations - always have done and even more so now.

Does feel like we’re in ‘anyone but’ territory Harris is now negative for fans and players. We desperately need a new voice and a positive reset for this new era. Might not be the long term manager but we need someone to keep us up, I’ve no idea who’s available but an experienced head at this level, off the top of my head, a Hasslebank, Nigel Adkins, Simon Grayson that ilk can’t be out of our reach surely???

Always thought Harris would be here until Brad arrived in the country to do it in person. the big issue is knowing asap as uncertainly will make recruitment harder/slower.