SuperBobs Goals | Vital Football

SuperBobs Goals

When he first appeared on the Priestfield turf I heard plenty of mutterings about his weight his poor fitness and how Tommy Trublue deserved his place in the squad.
Within a few weeks the 'Super Bobby Taylor' song first got an airing. Within 6 months he was already becoming a Gills legend.

And consider the fact he had a side kick in Carl Asaba who is also up there among our best.
Just wiki'd Asaba. We bought him for £590,000 and he became our leading scorer. Later he left for £92,000 - a bit of a drop, even though he had had an injury. His subsequent moves were on a free.

Just wiki'd Asaba. We bought him for £590,000 and he became our leading scorer. Later he left for £92,000 - a bit of a drop, even though he had had an injury. His subsequent moves were on a free.

He was out of contract so the value he left for is irrelevant; a fit Asaba in this day and age, in the Championship, must be worth about £10m? A few months earlier a £700k (I think?) deal for him to go to Palace fell through, so at the time it was very agitating that he’d gone for so little - especially as, like many who leave us, he didn’t really do much at all after leaving us - apart from his involvement in David Seaman’s wondersave in 2003, I don’t recall him doing anything (oh, I thought of another - falling over in front of us at Stoke 2004, when we stayed up).

What I didn’t realise until recently was how it was all a bit of a merry-go-round when we got Asaba. Something like Reading took Forster from Brentford (after they’d taken Asaba from Brentford in the first place) who was replacing Asaba who was coming to us. Forster, Asaba and Taylor are the three best forwards of my time.

The Club just linked the YouTube vid of Bobs goals for Gills. Probably been put on here before, but well worth another look.

Very high percentage of GoTS contenders in this bunch. What a striker.

I’ve seen that a few times now and always spot something different - this time, how shit scared the opposition are every time he has the ball! There were a few 50/50 opportunities for defenders in there, but they don’t even both trying, they just let him have it! How I’d love a player with that level of aura now!

After a couple of scrappy ones to get him started, so many of those goals hit the corners, not many of them were saveable! The Bristol City hat-trick is probably the most incredible thing I’ve seen live - the game was absolute dog-shit until he hobbled on!

You will also see from Wiki that Reading had paid £800k for Asaba less than a full season before he joined us, but they were willing to take a loss as he had not been a success there.

This was at the time that Colin W*nker was earning his reputation as a wind up merchant, taking every one of successful strikers for a song, if and when they neared the end of their contract - Asaba, Baldy Shaw, even Iffy, who ended up only playing 7 games for the Blades.

They were just magical days! I was sitting right behind the goal for that last half season he was with us, the 5-1 Wrexham and 3-1 Hat tricks were amazing! Sitting behind the goal you could see the ball curling around the keeper!! You know he wanted to stay at Gills but the money lure and pressure from Maine Road was too big. In the end he left with our blessings and absolute best wishes. He earned his big move and deserved every bit of it. Asaba was out during that time and came back in time for the second half of the season after Super Bob left. He did brilliant too and got us to where we went, but you have to think is Super Bob stayed we would have gone up automatically that year. Which would you prefer though? Also being behind the goal when St Thommo headed in on That Day in May, f-kng hell, balling my eyes out just thinking about it!!

but you have to think is Super Bob stayed we would have gone up automatically that year. Which would you prefer though?

That’s always been a tough one for me to answer truly. Do you prefer auto promotion or via play-offs?

I think a Title win would be best to be honest. But I’d probably prefer a play-off win to being auto promoted in 2nd or 3rd.

Having said that, last game of the season and need to win to secure autos? You’d take it every time over the lottery of the play-offs.

I think having play-offs is one of the best things to happen in football. I wish it was there through the 70’s and 80’s. A lot of seasons back then petered our over the last few months even tho we had some cracking sides that constantly finished top 6.