SUNDERLAND TILL I DIE | Vital Football

SUNDERLAND TILL I DIE

Johngill

Vital Youth Team
In order to get away from the doom and gloom and the lack of football I watched Sunderland till I die on Netflix (two series) yesterday, I was mainly looking for ammunition in the non stop banter battle between myself and my Sunderland mad daughter in law. I ended up binge watching both series and really enjoyed it. Lots of info on what goes on in the back room and what a huge problem the current owners face.
It also shows the difference between a club like ours where most of the town don't give toss about us and a club like Sunderland where the club is the heart and soul of the town.

Spoiler Alert - not required...

I watched Series Two today, very insightful - just like the first series. In the second series we get some interesting "fly on the wall" moments involving our former man Richard Hill. Sunderland owner Stewart Donald appears to have held Hill in high esteem and it was apparent that Hill had a seat at the top table. (Hill is now back at Eastleigh - another club connected with the Sunderland owner). Gills v Sunderland and the away game at the Stadium of Light are also featured.

I feel some sympathy with the Oxford boy who owns Sunderland. Stewart Donald is clearly a football fan and made a point of going to away games and standing/sitting with the travelling Sunderland fans - even when they were on losing runs.

There`s no doubting the importance of the Club to the people of Sunderland and the fanatical level of support the Black Cats can rely on. But, having watched the second series, I can`t make up my mind whether I feel that some Sunderland fans have an inflated sense of entitlement. Just because it`s a bigger club - and clearly Sunderland is a big club - do some of their fans moaning about the lack of success deserve any more sympathy than equally fanatical fans of small clubs in the lower leagues ? There were times watching the program when I found myself talking to the TV and commenting - "well you should try supporting a lower league club for more than just one year, that`d really test your sense of direction!"

Oddly, you do have to wonder whether the current enforced break might be a blessing for Sunderland. A few weeks back they were clearly on the road to nowhere in particular; a resumption of the season and a quick nine game sprint could actually see them piggy-back into serious promotion contention. Wonder if they`re still filming !!!!

I have watched this too. I like the owner but dislike his sidekick greatly. There's something about him i really dislike. I also feel he appears to treat woman badly.

The theme tune is brilliant:

Thanks chaps for the alert this was back on again as I thoroughly enjoyed season 1.

I am binge watching season 2 now and really enjoying that too.....

One immediate question after watching the transfer deadline episode..... why didn’t they try and sign Tom Eaves ...... Will Grigg for 4 million .....and the return from him has been shite ..... could have got Eaves for a million and got at least five goals in the remaining end of season games .....and some money for us of course .....

Hitting

Thanks chaps for the alert this was back on again as I thoroughly enjoyed season 1.

I am binge watching season 2 now and really enjoying that too.....

One immediate question after watching the transfer deadline episode..... why didn’t they try and sign Tom Eaves ...... Will Grigg for 4 million .....and the return from him has been shite ..... could have got Eaves for a million and got at least five goals in the remaining end of season games .....and some money for us of course .....

Hitting

Hard to imagine that Richard Hill didn`t make an approach or, at least, consider Big Tom. I believe I heard, in one of the latest episodes, Steward Donald exclaim that a club wanted £10M for a striker - it sounded to me like he (Donald) was talking about Marquis. Phonetically, he appeared to say "Marquee" , whether that was a mispronounced reference to Marquis or an exclamation on the price of a top brand L1 "Marque" striker, who knows - apart from him and Hill, of course.