Sunderland next up | Vital Football

Sunderland next up

suffolknwot

Vital Football Hero
THE SUNDERLAND COMPLIMENT THAT IS BECOMING A REGULAR OCCURRENCE
The quality of Aiden McGeady’s delivery is little secret, and was again reinforced by his superb cross that led to Charlie Wyke opening the scoring.
But teams are becoming savvy to the threat posed by Sunderland set-pieces – particularly when you factor in the likes of Power and Jordan Jones can also deliver enticing corners.
So as was the case with Charlton Athletic on Saturday, Wigan sent every player back to defend visiting corners during the early stages of the game.
It’s a compliment to Sunderland and their set piece takers in many regards, but it’s certainly making it difficult for the Black Cats to fashion any real chances from corners and free-kicks.
Indeed, the only set piece that led to anything meaningful was one which was played short by Jones to McGeady in the first-half, with the latter then forcing the home stopper into a good save.
Similar invention may be required moving forward if teams are to keep defending in numbers against corners.
There was plenty of focus placed on Sunderland’s defensive lapses at Wigan, and rightly so after they conceded two soft goals for the second game in quick succession.
But equally concerning should be the lack of a cutting edge at the other end.
The Black Cats registered just two shots on target during the whole game, and – despite making a host of attacking changes and seeing plenty of the ball after falling behind – failed to register an attempt on goal during the second period.
Goals win games, and while the Wearsiders weren’t good enough in their own box so too did they lack the necessary quality in the opposition box.
While Hull and Peterborough continue to put teams to the sword, Sunderland are finding goals somewhat hard to come by. Indeed, they have only scored more than two goals in a league game once in their last 12 games.
In contract, Hull have scored more than two goals on five occasions over their last twelve games.
That should be a concern for Lee Johnson, who may now also be re-evaluating Sunderland’s Plan B given the tactical and personnel changes deployed at the DW Stadium did not have the desired effect.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/spor...7vWxo40KJKYiFUsDY_evkaRpOq8Jy6ITBcaDCK6tXANB0

I think if we'd have had the strike partnership of Yates and Madine over the past couple of months we'd have certainly been looking at automatic. Does anyone know if he'll return or is he going to make a surprise appearance at the play-offs?

I think if we'd have had the strike partnership of Yates and Madine over the past couple of months we'd have certainly been looking at automatic. Does anyone know if he'll return or is he going to make a surprise appearance at the play-offs?
We definitely need him Bob it seems a strange one very little news.

pompey rag computer predictions

Hull City are predicted to finish the season top of the table, gaining automatic promotion with 89 points and going up as League One champions.

Peterborough United are predicted to finish second in League One this season and will go up automatically with 88 points.

Sunderland are predicted to finish third in League One, just missing out on automatic promotion.The Black Cats will compete in the play-offs, according to the date experts, and are projected to finish on 82 points.

The Tangerines are set to finish fourth and bag a spot in the play-offs with 77 projected points according to the data experts.

Lincoln City will finish fifth according to the data experts with a projected points total of 76, meaning they would make it to the play-offs.

Pompey will secure sixth position and grab the last play-off spot, with 75 projected points.

If only we had Not given points away with needless draws when ahead,Still no point dwelling on what might of been let’s keep going forward and if it’s the playoffs win .

pompey rag computer predictions

Hull City are predicted to finish the season top of the table, gaining automatic promotion with 89 points and going up as League One champions.

Peterborough United are predicted to finish second in League One this season and will go up automatically with 88 points.

Sunderland are predicted to finish third in League One, just missing out on automatic promotion.The Black Cats will compete in the play-offs, according to the date experts, and are projected to finish on 82 points.

The Tangerines are set to finish fourth and bag a spot in the play-offs with 77 projected points according to the data experts.

Lincoln City will finish fifth according to the data experts with a projected points total of 76, meaning they would make it to the play-offs.

Pompey will secure sixth position and grab the last play-off spot, with 75 projected points.

I wouldn't rule out Charlton getting in the top 6

Just so long as we are one of the six top two possible but not if we keep dropping points.Will know better after tomorrow we need three points.

The points we will require to make the play offs depends on other results. Clearly if we win all our remaining games we will be okay but other teams will drop points. I wouldn't like to predict how things will play out but win, lose or draw tomorrow we will still be in with a good shout.

Great to see the legends Mickey Walsh and and David Vaughan.

I got quite excited when I read Walsh was putting together a consortium to take over the club a few years back. From the interview it sounds like he's seen a few games over the years is that right? Chorley lad as I remember

Chorley lad indeed and one of my greatest heroes (along with my namesake of course!). I cried buckets when he signed for Everton..