Sunderland fans: Would you take a point against Lincoln? | Vital Football

Sunderland fans: Would you take a point against Lincoln?

Looking at their squad, quite a few late twenties, and over thirties. Doesn’t look like it will be fast counter attacking from them, more slow pass pass pass low level championship style. Although Maguire will be a threat, if he plays down the right wing.

o’nein and gooch, two of their best players are out injured. Of the younger players...
embleton was on loan at Grimsby last season,
diamond was playing with Muldoon in the national league.

hope we play them on current status, rather than over respect their ex premier heritage.

The Sunderland match is interesting from several levels.

I think we can say Imps have earned the right to be called play off contenders without going all Billy BB's or delusional, now we are a third of the way into the season. Therefore a win that would take us 11 points clear of a big club and play off rivals would be significant even now. Then again we could lose and the gap be down to 5 points.

We are again facing a side that has recently changed manager. Having followed the RTG Sunderland forum for a bit it would appear a constant moan about Parkinson was his insistence on plan A of stubbornly just bombing crosses into the box for players well past their sell by date such as Griggs and Graham; no plan B at all. Johnson of course is known for playing a bit more football so will we see them trying to play a different style.

A general concern amongst their fans is the perception that the majority of their players are unfit, immobile and too old. They do have a large squad so the question is will Johnson make sweeping changes to the personnel in an attempt to inject some more energy into the squad. If he does, are the replacements of sufficient quality. If he doesn't will the tested players be able to live with our youthful side. Johnson has championed Jack Diamond and his energy has already been welcomed and noted by many of their fans.

If Johnson wasn't aware of the electric pace that abounds throughout our midfield and forward players he certainly will be after Shrewsbury. He will know that whatever 11 we choose the side will contain at least some searing pace.

As a consequence I don't expect Sunderland to allow anything like the space in behind that we had against Shrews and to a lesser extent 'dale. I can only see a packed defence and expect Sunderland to come looking for a draw. It's worth bearing in mind that Sunderland generally do better on the road and I believe they are unbeaten away from home.

It poses selection issues for MA after the positives of Tuesday but perhaps if Sunderland are more likely to sit then he may go for his most creative players to try and unlock them rather than rely on out and out pace.

Last edited:
I've been looking up the xG tables again :- )=

Based on their performances in the 15 games they have played, Sunderland should have won 10, drawn 1 and lost 4 games, meaning that in real life, they are 7 points behind where they should be.

Conversely, we should have won 9, drawn 2 and lost 4, meaning that in real life, we are 3 points ahead of where we should be.

According to xG, we should be 5th in the table, behind, in reverse order, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Hull and right at the top Sunderland.

This would indicate that Phil Parkinson was rather unlucky to lose his job and Lee Johnson is already minus 3 points on where he should be after only one game !

That Sunderland fans seem to think they should beat us for the reasons given at the top of the thread should be treated with spuriosity.

But I suspect we will be facing a huge challenge on Saturday against a team on the new manager bounce.

And let's not forget that the last time we played a team that was, at that point, top of the xG table, was when we played Portsmouth at home !

This time though, I do have a funny feeling that we might do rather better than 1-3 on Saturday :- )=

When we were in National League and away to the Dog & Duck but they were 2nd in the league then would have been bizarre to suggest a point is not acceptable.

I've been looking up the xG tables again :- )=

Based on their performances in the 15 games they have played, Sunderland should have won 10, drawn 1 and lost 4 games, meaning that in real life, they are 7 points behind where they should be.

Conversely, we should have won 9, drawn 2 and lost 4, meaning that in real life, we are 3 points ahead of where we should be.

According to xG, we should be 5th in the table, behind, in reverse order, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Hull and right at the top Sunderland.

This would indicate that Phil Parkinson was rather unlucky to lose his job and Lee Johnson is already minus 3 points on where he should be after only one game !

That Sunderland fans seem to think they should beat us for the reasons given at the top of the thread should be treated with spuriosity.

But I suspect we will be facing a huge challenge on Saturday against a team on the new manager bounce.

And let's not forget that the last time we played a team that was, at that point, top of the xG table, was when we played Portsmouth at home !

This time though, I do have a funny feeling that we might do rather better than 1-3 on Saturday :- )=

And an extra 'like' for using the word 'spuriosity'.

View attachment 44093
Utter delusion from The Mackems, big club undoubtedly with a History that probably puts them in the Top 10 in England, but with this attitude they'll end up like Grimsby if they're not careful?

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/would-you-take-a-point-against-lincoln.1535818/

Do any of us think the thick plank who posted that on their forum read it back before he posted it? With this level of delusion I give Johnson around another 5 games before they want him gone for not reaching their expectations of being in the Premier by Christmas. :clown::fish::Fingers:

When we were in National League and away to the Dog & Duck but they were 2nd in the league then would have been bizarre to suggest a point is not acceptable.

And we usually got our arses whipped for good measure.
Sunderland are a car crash of a club, more owners, chairmen and managers in 10 years than most clubs have in 50, I hope we give them the whipping they totally deserve.
Their one chance of salvation was to recruit The Cowleys and they appoint Lee Johnson, they reap what they sow which will be a few more years in League One or worse.

IF and I accept it is far from a foregone conclusion we beat Sunderland, they would be closer in terms of points to relegation than automatic promotion. It is tough supporting a big club on the rails, you only have the past to cling on to and hope that one day the owners appoint a manager who gets lucky enough to have them moving forward.