Sunderland - definitely not Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Sunderland - definitely not Match Thread

Why have Sunderland failed to win promotion so far ?
I’d say it’s because league one now has too many big teams (fallen giants) in it.
Every season, it gets harder and harder with six or seven teams expecting to win it.
Then chuck in the odd wild card and it becomes tougher.

When managers of so called bigger teams use words like 'direct' or 'physical' to describe their opponents, or say 'they're always a tough team to play against', I always read it as code for 'we wanted to play pretty tippy tippy football and those nasty men wouldn't let us'. If you haven't got tons of cash to buy these luxury players, you get tough hard workers in and play to their strengths. The likes of Sunderland should be good enough to break down these teams (like us) but 4/5 years in L1 shows that isn't the case.
Dry your eyes and get on with it boys 😉

Over 320 tickets sold for Saturday in the away end.
Blimey is that all ? We must have taken over 1000 last time. General consensus was that last weekends 253 support was lower coz everyone else were saving their bullets for the stadium of light…
I shall be there of course.Am still in Calder Valley on my weeks feast of football and go to meet everyone tomorrow night in Newcastle,having just about recovered from last Saturdays Stanley beer fest….

Very loyal supportive fans though.

Peter Reid gained them promotion when they were in old div 1 with lowly crowds.
He managed two 7th place finished in the top flight and the big crowds came back.
what could go wrong - fans turned on him as 'he had taken them as far he could'.

just hearing peter Reid's name brings back memories of my necastle friend always singing - Peter Reeed has a monkeys heeed.

Blimey is that all ? We must have taken over 1000 last time. General consensus was that last weekends 253 support was lower coz everyone else were saving their bullets for the stadium of light…
I shall be there of course.Am still in Calder Valley on my weeks feast of football and go to meet everyone tomorrow night in Newcastle,having just about recovered from last Saturdays Stanley beer fest….

Glad you`re having a good time up this way - Bowland Brewery & Timothy Taylors in abundance around Calder Valley - fine ales.

Regarding the away support for Saturday, it appears we shall have around 375 to 400, which is not too bad considering the journey involved and our league standing. Your reference to over a 1000 last time is a bit off, I believe. The last time Gills fans went to Sunderland for a league game (the 2-2 draw) there were 473 x GFC fans there. Time before that, which was a Tuesday evening K.O. (4-2 Sun-lan win) there were 331 x GFC fans present.

Our biggest turnout there was way back in 1987 (I think ) when we must have taken at least a couple of thousand for the Promotion/Relegation play-off game. (what a day that was )

This weekend`s game being All-ticket doesn`t help but, even in a 30K+ crowd the Gills fans will make some noise.

Good numbers so far from us. We always pull big numbers away when we are in danger but not totally dead in the water.

Im glad to say too that since ive been watching (2001) weve never gone down with a whimper, always last day of the season stuff and it seems that this year will be no different survival or not

Regarding the Prediction League I feel I have to note my disapproval at Trashbat piggybacking on Rob_b100's 1 0 Tucker success story.

Tut tut.:wagging:

Glad you`re having a good time up this way - Bowland Brewery & Timothy Taylors in abundance around Calder Valley - fine ales.

Regarding the away support for Saturday, it appears we shall have around 375 to 400, which is not too bad considering the journey involved and our league standing. Your reference to over a 1000 last time is a bit off, I believe. The last time Gills fans went to Sunderland for a league game (the 2-2 draw) there were 473 x GFC fans there. Time before that, which was a Tuesday evening K.O. (4-2 Sun-lan win) there were 331 x GFC fans present.

Our biggest turnout there was way back in 1987 (I think ) when we must have taken at least a couple of thousand for the Promotion/Relegation play-off game. (what a day that was )

This weekend`s game being All-ticket doesn`t help but, even in a 30K+ crowd the Gills fans will make some noise.

I was gonna say “Christ, did we take 1k to Sunderland?”

I thought not.

Regarding the Prediction League I feel I have to note my disapproval at Trashbat piggybacking on Rob_b100's 1 0 Tucker success story.

Tut tut.:wagging:

Pleased you’ve noticed 58, however I feel things are now beginning to grow. Not only has TB seen the light, but I notice Lark has predicted a Tucker hat trick. Fancy getting in on the act?

Fair do’s actually 473 does ring a bell now..

400 now sold. Not bad - would have been more with a POTD option. Maybe Sunderland were actually concerned that Gills` supporting Newcastle fans would "sneak in" via POTD. It`s been a topic in previous seasons.