Sunday | Page 5 | Vital Football

Sunday

Arguing amongst ourselves does actually solve issues. Ducking stupid to say otherwise.

The majority of this board not so long ago preached the phrase support the team and not the regime where most couldn't see how silly it was. It has been like twelve angry men converting people on here at times but now the majority are in agreement about staying away we still need to remember the ones who followed were doing so because they are easily led. Not all but a fair few.

It's still very clear people still don't understand why they've changed their tune and I reiterate....it needs to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Sports direct was heaving last night...the ground will be full and some will forget And forgive if we buy big or go on a winning run.

We don't need leadership to make it work we need people to understand what they're doing and why they're doing it....and for more people to work it out on their own.

It's going to take a lot more of Ashley being a ****, a lot more pardews lies, another crazy dof appointment and a lot more player sales for that to happen.

I wonder whether fans become converted, less so by listening to the arguments from others and more so from how Ashley's running of the club manifests itself on the pitch. Sorry to bang on about my mate but he would not have a bad word said at the beginning of the season, another lad I know reckoned Ashley had it spot on - he has turned 180 since Christmas. From here on in, it is the results that will dictate the mood of the fans and decide whether or not other fans turn.

It's quite sad to hear grown men say "they can't live without it", makes me think they must be thick as a castle wall.

What strikes me from that thread Chief is the number of people who use the length of time they've been going as an excuse. It's a bit ludicrous. I'd be interested to know how long people on this board who are now boycotting had held season tickets for before ashley's actions led them to boycott. I'd wager there's plenty who'd been going just as long.

I've never been a season ticket holder and was effectively locked out during thee KK years by the new arrivals who had more money than me for a season ticket at the time.

Having said that, I can claim to have gone in thinner times, being a regular after the Dinnis/McGarry relegation, during the poverty stricken Ardiles era and one of the few among our record low crowd at home to Wrexham.

The only other time I actively boycotted was the Norwich match after they started dismantling the Leazes roof. In the match before my claim to fame was I started off the "if you want to keep the Leazes stay behind" chant and was in the front line when the police dogs came in.

First match was 1967 and there are plenty like me who can say they have been a supporter through thin and thinner. Length of time is no excuse.

By feck what a cracking set of lads week in week out under the scoreboard.
That aside I no longer really care how we perform in the Prem league,2 relegations on the bounce and fat man gone would drag me back though.

Been drinking in the toon all day and just listened to AC/DC live at the River Plate, Tom Petty and Cat Stephens. The world seems a better place.

Been drinking in the toon all day and just listened to AC/DC live at the River Plate, Tom Petty and Cat Stephens. The world seems a better place.

BLACKBOB - 22/2/2014 20:09

That aside I no longer really care how we perform in the Prem league,2 relegations on the bounce and fat man gone would drag me back though.

I was a scoreboarder. Your 'life expectancy' was slightly longer than those that went in the corner.

Good days those were.

vin1892 - 22/2/2014 21:43

I liked Tom Petty vin - have Damn the Torpedoes - did you see the documentary on BBC3 a while back?

thecorner - 22/2/2014 09:34

Arguing amongst ourselves does actually solve issues. Ducking stupid to say otherwise.

Nowt wrong with folk disagreeing with eachother and "arguing" their point of view - but surely slagging people off for having a different opinion aint right?
Some people may think that Ashley and Pardew are doing ok by your club , whilst others obviously don't like "what's going on" but wanna keep going to matches.
Doesn't make them wrong just cos their opinion differs from other peoples.

Toon_NoMatterWot - 22/2/2014 22:04

I was a scoreboarder. Your 'life expectancy' was slightly longer than those that went in the corner.

Good days those were.

I was a Leazes lad and an E winger ........used to get more grief off the coppers than the away fans

Started going in 1988, first game I was in the Leazes and. Then moved to Milburn paddocks for a while, then advanced to the corner. Many Saturday afternoons, spent in the corner, even saw Gazza there, one game. (everybody threw mars bars at him) Stopped going regularly when we got promoted with Keegan, because I couldn't get a ticket anymore. Then moved to Kent and for a good few years went to odd games when I was up there. Have great memories of bouncing around in the corner.

taffontyne - 22/2/2014 22:10

vin1892 - 22/2/2014 21:43

I liked Tom Petty vin - have Damn the Torpedoes - did you see the documentary on BBC3 a while back?

I missed that Taff but it's more our lasses thing. Just had the sex pistols on and lindisfarne. It's been a strange day.

McCreery - 22/2/2014 22:30

Toon_NoMatterWot - 22/2/2014 22:04

Good days those were.

I was a Leazes lad and an E winger ........used to get more grief off the coppers than the away fans

Was a lot more comradery in those days. Songs sung dependant on where you were stood/sat were class.

'Get your flasks out for the lads' aimed at the East stand or 'In the seats, in the seats, in the seats!' followed by the usual 'V' signs then a song.

'The Corner! The Corner' with the scoreboard following suit in our own section wording.

'Singing in the Leazes!' etc etc. Good times.

Started off in the e wing paddock as a 12 year old then moved onto the scoreboard. Used to watch Darren Heslop (RIP) stand on the barrier and get the crowd going.
Great days. The game is so sanitised now. Had ST for 24 years but had enough now. I've boycotted games this season and been to some as well where ive protested. Doing either hasn't really made any difference up to now. I now think that the only way there'll be change is if we lose every game and the majority turn on the club. I now want us to lose every match in the hope it will motivate the apathetic into actually doing something to save their club.
I honestly don't know the answer as so many fans have differing opinions on whats happening at SJP but it would be good to see everyone stand together like the old days. Maybe the boycotters could go to the ground and protest outside. I reckon there'd be at least 10,000 there. Why not?
Remember the shout 'we stand together and nobody fuckin runs?' We need that passion back.