Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 121 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

Whilst I'm hugely skeptical King, for what it's worth I'm not entirely convinced it's fake news. As you say, of all the teams in Europe they could have chosen why on earth would they settle on Wigan?

Plus, I know the club have been assembling a new team of scouts who no doubt will have been hired to find these sort of gems. You can tell this lad is probably one of those who ticks all the "analytical/xG" boxes and we'd see him as someone who at only 20, could be worth mega money in say two years time if he was to smash it. Plus considering he plays for a Turkish second division club, he's not likely to be on big wages which gives the club wiggle room to go higher on the transfer fee.
The twitter account it came from has nearly 98,000 followers, so there's definitely something to it.
And to be fair, with LR using Lang as a winger, we are actually a Striker short.

Million quid deals with foreign clubs, likely work permits appeals and 5 days until the window shuts certainly doesn't sound right.
I'm hugely sceptical of this rumour but just to play devils advocate, the 5 days till the window closes is from now, with the story having only just broken in the last day or so, but whose to say the club haven't already been working on this for weeks. They've been very good at keeping things under wraps so far.

With Bursaspor being one of the biggest clubs in Turkey, there’s plenty of opinions on Kör if you go looking for them.

Fans seems to be split down the middle, with some disappointed with his couple of performances to start the season in the Turkish second tier - they see the price we have allegedly offered as a very fair one that works for both clubs. Others think he’s been unfairly made a scapegoat, and hope he stays because of his high potential. He can play across the front line, including centre forward and both wings so there’s versatility there. But some seem to see that as an issue, in that he hasn’t been able to nail down a favoured position yet, preventing him from building much momentum in the same role.

Even his detractors still speak highly about his character and commitment though, and think England could help him realise his potential because of his supposedly physical style of play that would be well suited to the EFL. They have another youngster in his position, Eren Güler, who’s 18 and most seem to think the club only has room for one going forwards.

He scored 7 in 29 second tier games last season, and 4 goals in one game against first tier opponents in the Turkish Cup.

Bursaspor were fixtures of the top tier in Turkey for a long time - even winning the league in 2010, but were relegated in 2019 unexpectedly and their fans are growing increasingly restless after falling well short of promotion last season, coupled with a poor start to the new campaign after two games without a win. Their impatience with their position is very similar to that of Sunderland fans’ towards still being in League One, but turn it up a few notches given how notoriously partisan and passionate Turkish fans are as you’d expect.

My sense is some of Kör’s critics come from a similar place as Wyke, Power and Jones’ at Sunderland, in that it’s less about individual performance, instead rooted in the general frustration of not being promoted yet. Wyke of course scored 31 goals, Power was Sunderland’s captain and Jones was a fixture of their team last year. All 3 were spoken of pretty highly during the season, but turned on the second they missed out on promotion. All 3 have been pretty impressive for us so far (in my opinion) in a more supportive and patient environment, and I expect it might end up being the same with Kör, especially given his age and lack of experience so he’ll need time and support regardless.

Last edited:
I'm hugely sceptical of this rumour but just to play devils advocate, the 5 days till the window closes is from now, with the story having only just broken in the last day or so, but whose to say the club haven't already been working on this for weeks. They've been very good at keeping things under wraps so far.

It's a good point about keeping it under wraps but with the work permit issues if we've been on his trail for a while we'd have known we need to give ourselves extra time to go through the process. I'm not sure how long work permit appeals in football take for players who don't automatically hit the criteria but from past experiences with the likes of Hendry Thomas it wasn't that rapid.

It doesn't appear like we have a bid accepted yet heading into a bank holiday weekend where no paper work is likely to get done. Meaning best case scenario we'd need the case to be submitted, hearing scheduled and decided on by football authorities and government all on deadline day - I just can't see it.

Only way it could be a goer is if the lad has British citizenship which seems quite unlikely.

You never know in football but the logistics of the work permit and window shutting seem like it's very unlikely we could get it through in time.

Wigan have signed 22-year-old Preston midfielder Tom Bayliss on a season-long loan deal.

Bayliss joined Preston from Coventry for a club-record £2 million fee in 2019, but has only made 12 league appearances for PNE since then.

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2021...r-Tom-Bayliss-on-loan-from-Preston-North-End/

That puts Mcgrath to bed, however this is a really good loan, he was top class for Coventry, and wasnt Gregor the academy coach at that time as well?

He's not the clubs PR man he's a newspaper reporter ffs
:slap:
Come on Zakky, surely you can see what would happen.

PK - hey, have you any good transfers lined up?
Club - Sure Paul, there's this cracking lad, x, from y, but we want to keep it quiet until it's all sorted
PK - No worries .............and then goes and publishes the detail regardless

Following week:
PK - hey, have you any more good transfers lined up?
Club - Fuck off.

Personally, I don't get the need for all the rumours around transfers. Most of it turns out to be bollocks anyway. Wait until a signing's announced and comment on the player then.

Bayliss looks to be a good signing. My mate's a PNE fan so I text him to see what he thought...

"Great play bought him for 1.6m fro. Coventry been very badly treated at PNE...attacking midfield will be great for you lot..."

Another good player on the books. Happy days.

:slap:
Come on Zakky, surely you can see what would happen.

PK - hey, have you any good transfers lined up?
Club - Sure Paul, there's this cracking lad, x, from y, but we want to keep it quiet until it's all sorted
PK - No worries .............and then goes and publishes the detail regardless

Following week:
PK - hey, have you any more good transfers lined up?
Club - Fuck off.

Personally, I don't get the need for all the rumours around transfers. Most of it turns out to be bollocks anyway. Wait until a signing's announced and comment on the player then.

Your missing the point. I'm not expecting him to go cap in hand to the club a good Jerno has his sources and sniffs out information anyway he can. He doesn't have to be beholden to the club just be good at his job.

Your missing the point. I'm not expecting him to go cap in hand to the club a good Jerno has his sources and sniffs out information anyway he can. He doesn't have to be beholden to the club just be good at his job.

You're talking about people like Nixon, and writers for the national papers. Journalists for the sports section of a local paper don't break transfer stories. They just don't have the contacts (which I presume would mainly be players' agents).

As for being "beholden to the club", wouldn't you agree that he needs to maintain decent relations if he wants to keep in getting the interviews with the management team and the players?

So you just want him to spread unofficial gossip?