Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 71 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

That's what you get for messing around earlier in the window. I suspect he ended up out of our price range.

On the plus side at least that should keep "Jarvo" quiet for a while. It was our bid according to him...

At this point, I don't think we'll find the sort of number 10 we want in the transfer market, as they will likely be too expensive. Ipswich for example, have come in for Fraser because Rotherham want over 1m for Crooks. Our best bet now is probably finding him in the loan market.

Last edited:
That's what you get for messing around earlier in the window. I suspect he ended up out of our price range.

On the plus side at least that should keep "Jarvo" quiet for a while. It was our bid according to him...

At this point, I don't think we'll find the sort of number 10 we want in the transfer market, as they will likely be too expensive. Ipswich for example, have come in for Fraser because Rotherham want over 1m for Crooks. Our best bet now is probably finding him in the loan market.

Not necessarily, maybe both offers were similar but he could had just chosen Ipswich :/

Jarvo ain't going quiet lol.

I have faith we'll sort quality in the creative department, just really sucks to miss on this opportunity.

Not necessarily, maybe both offers were similar but he could had just chosen Ipswich :/

Jarvo ain't going quiet lol.

I have faith we'll sort quality in the creative department, just really sucks to miss on this opportunity.
We never had a bid accepted unless we’ve not been told. Sounds to me like instead of messing around, Ipswich have come straight in and done a deal in two days tops. Because as of the weekend they wanted Crooks. A lesson for the new ownership I think.

Tremendous bit of business for Ipswich. They are assembling a very good squad - Piggott and Fraser are top draw.

When you look at Martin's interview yesterday he was relatively open about it and didn't say there was multiple bidders and he said the offer only just came in. Maybe we were interested earlier in the summer but dropped out for whatever reason as the way Martin spoke we weren't in the race. All the supposed insider stuff on Fraser was clearly bollox. Maybe the deal was too rich for us as we know Ipswich are offering bigger money than us but if we could afford it and wanted him we clearly should've done the deal long before Ipswich gave up chasing Crooks from Rotherham and moved onto Fraser. Feels like we had a window we could've got it done and missed our chance.

Dundee Courier said that Edwards is signing a new contract this afternoon. So that one is dead too I think that could be a bullet dodged to be honest.

Putting a very tidy side together Ipswich, not sure what they're like defensively, but Evans will do well down there and so will Fraser as everyone seems to think he's a very good player. Piggott's an excellent signing and I'd have been very happy if we'd signed him. We look like we're building a squad that should be competitive, even if it's not at the top end, that said, we're still likely to bring in another 5 or 6, so see where that leaves us

We obviously would've loved a player of Fraser's quality but with Keane, Lang and probably Humphrys and Assgaard all able to play that role maybe we aren't even looking for another no10.

But whatever the case looking at some of the options available on frees for midfielder there are still a lot of realistic decent choices.

- Josh Sims from Southampton
- Lewis Holtby from Blackburn
- Sully KaiKai from Blackpool
- Jamie Patterson from Bristol City
- Louis Reed from Peterborough
- Dan Crowley from Birmingham
- Jon Toral from Birmingham
- Johnny Williams from Cardiff
- Kyle Edwards from West Brom
- Kadeem Harris from Sheff Wed
- Hakeeb Adelakun from Bristol City
- Marley Watkins from Bristol City

Players under contract that could be available:
- Jamie Allen from Coventry was mentioned earlier in the window.

- Powell who was on loan at Burton from West Ham looked impressive last season.

- Lewis Wing from Boro apparently available

We obviously would've loved a player of Fraser's quality but with Keane, Lang and probably Humphrys and Assgaard all able to play that role maybe we aren't even looking for another no10.

But whatever the case looking at some of the options available on frees for midfielder there are still a lot of realistic decent choices.

Don't know too much about quite a few of them, of the ones I know I've seen play a few times or read bits about, Patterson would be very good, not sure about Holtby, Williams isn't a bad player and read a lot of good things about Josh Sims, so would be happy with any of them. Incidentally, Powell scored the free kick against us at the DW, had a good game from memory

Kaikai for me, always impressed me when he's played against us.

Putting a very tidy side together Ipswich, not sure what they're like defensively, but Evans will do well down there and so will Fraser as everyone seems to think he's a very good player. Piggott's an excellent signing and I'd have been very happy if we'd signed him. We look like we're building a squad that should be competitive, even if it's not at the top end, that said, we're still likely to bring in another 5 or 6, so see where that leaves us
Question is, How good of a Manager is Paul Cook without his tried & trusted backroom staff...???
I personally think Leam Richardson and Anthony Barry played a much more significant role than we thought.

Time will tell, I guess...

I maintain that anyone above Ipswich come May will be a Championship club the season after. I wouldn't swap our current squad for any other squad in the league bar their's. It's encouraging (and frustrating) that we appear to be shopping in the same market as them as well. First that Siegrist and now Fraser. I bet they've got their eye on Kerr as well.

Anyone criticising Latics for not getting a deal done before Ipswich showed their hand is possibly missing the point a bit.
It seems Latics were interested and either bid what our budget and valuation was and it got rejected or it was accepted but Fraser's salary demands in turn were too rich.
After what happened over the last 12 months, if that's how Latics are doing their business then I'm more than happy with that - I don't ever want to see Latics go beyond their means again to sign anyone
Alternatively it could have been Fraser dragging out Latics interest to draw out other interested parties to get himself a better deal or even the same one at a "bigger" club
Personally I don't think it was Latics dragging their feet and not using the time to get a deal done

Considering Wigan are in the same market as the likes of Ipswich is evidence we are targeting promotion and have the finance to do so. Missing out on Fraser is just a matter of you win some you lose some. Maybe we never was serious, maybe we did and had an offer and Fraser wanted to move to Ipswich, who knows. Now to make me feel better let's get the Rotherham lad!

I was interested to hear on our local radio this morning that Jack Payne is still with Swindon. He’s arguably their best player and would be available for next to nothing with their current issues. Would be worth a look in my opinion

I maintain that anyone above Ipswich come May will be a Championship club the season after. I wouldn't swap our current squad for any other squad in the league bar their's. It's encouraging (and frustrating) that we appear to be shopping in the same market as them as well. First that Siegrist and now Fraser. I bet they've got their eye on Kerr as well.
Agree with you
I think cook is keeping one eye on players richardson is interested in signing
Kerr i think will be another one

Do we know for a fact that we were chasing Frasier?Looks like it was Jarvo with one of his "Exclusives" that started it and Kendrick etc did their usual and jumped on the story! We've seen already that this new regime are very good at keeping their cards close to their chest and never say anything till the transfers are done,Ipswich local press say they made their first bid weeks ago and upped it on Monday,This would suggest they were the only ones seriously bidding!