Summer transfer window thread | Page 104 | Vital Football

Summer transfer window thread

This would be much more significant than a deal for Cooper, who deserves a contract but it won't make any difference whether he stays or not.

This contract could be worth £30m+ to the club in 12 months time. I think Brennan could be a sensation in the PL and he shouldn't countenance going elsewhere with the WC coming and him needing regular football

I look at this from the other angle.

Brennan's future worth impacts on one player; Brennan.

Cooper has the ability to produce a dozen Brennan Johnsons or more, which makes him far more valuable to me.

Look at what is happening to Spence after a season under Cooper; unfortunately he is not our player so we do not benefit financially.

If he gets his way with transfers and gets young players with promise, and develops them accordingly, we could emulate what Leicester have done, for example - sign players for 20m and then sell one a season for 70 or 80m

Not only will that cement our place in the PL, but it will make us an attractive proposition for a good manager when Copper does decide he needs a bigger challenge.

This would be much more significant than a deal for Cooper, who deserves a contract but it won't make any difference whether he stays or not.

This contract could be worth £30m+ to the club in 12 months time. I think Brennan could be a sensation in the PL and he shouldn't countenance going elsewhere with the WC coming and him needing regular football

I think Popes right. BJ has the opportunity to show the country and the world how good he could be.
He's in familiar surroundings/knows he's a starter/knows a system.
Then with Wales he goes there with no contract issues in his head.
He could be worth £35M - £50M come end of the season to us.

I look at this from the other angle.

Brennan's future worth impacts on one player; Brennan.

Cooper has the ability to produce a dozen Brennan Johnsons or more, which makes him far more valuable to me.

Look at what is happening to Spence after a season under Cooper; unfortunately he is not our player so we do not benefit financially.

If he gets his way with transfers and gets young players with promise, and develops them accordingly, we could emulate what Leicester have done, for example - sign players for 20m and then sell one a season for 70 or 80m

Not only will that cement our place in the PL, but it will make us an attractive proposition for a good manager when Copper does decide he needs a bigger challenge.
I don't think the new contract makes any difference to whether Cooper stays or goes.

He is under no threat of walking out at the end of this one; managers do so very rarely.

The contract doesn't stop him leaving either; unlike players, he can just quit if he wants to and there is little we can do. If a club he wanted to go to came calling, the contract does nothing other than set the level of compensation we might get, and increase what he gets if we sack him.

I agree that Cooper makes the difference; but we already have him and I don't see the contract making any difference to that.

However, a player like Brennan doesn't come along very often. This century, how many 20 goal strikers have we produced ourselves? Harewood, Brereton with someone else and Johnson?

I wonder what Brennan's minimum release clause will be if he signs the deal? It's actually pretty hard to set it. He has the potential to be an absolute star, but he hasn't played a top flight game yet. You could imagine it being loose change for Newcastle in a year's time, whatever it is

I wonder what Brennan's minimum release clause will be if he signs the deal? It's actually pretty hard to set it. He has the potential to be an absolute star, but he hasn't played a top flight game yet. You could imagine it being loose change for Newcastle in a year's time, whatever it is
Probably more about the relegation release clause