Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 11 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Saw a rumour linking us and a number of Championship clubs with Sam Cosgrove from Barnsley.

I imagine Barnsley may be willing to let him leave after he failed to really break into their starting 11, he's got previous links to Latics and we are probably after a target man. So sounds somewhat plausible.

But he's certainly not done enough to attract Championship clubs, so you've got to take the whole story with a giant pinch of salt.
Every man and his dog was preying for Magennis not to be offered a new contract yet people are listening to rumours that we are looking to sign a player whose record makes Magennis's look comparable to Alan Shearer.

No thanks.

Every man and his dog was preying for Magennis not to be offered a new contract yet people are listening to rumours that we are looking to sign a player whose record makes Magennis's look comparable to Alan Shearer.

No thanks.

Regardless of if we genuinely have any interest in Cosgrove or not, players like him who've got potential but not always lived up to it are going to probably be the type we have to look at.

Since we haven't got the finances to buy top proven players anymore it will be more about identifying players who we believe we can get more out of than others managed.

It's easier said than done but I think that there could be a few players with patchy CVs we end up taking a chance on.

Better looking at none league than looking at pit props like Barnsley regrets

Perkins was a Blackpool reject in terrible relegated side and everyone at the time thought it was a bit of an underwhelming signing but he went on to be our player of the season.

Jussi was in his 40s and every other club thought he was over the hill but he was immense in his first season.

Bramble was a laughing stock and most of our fans were unhappy about us signing him but went on to get 4 awards at POTS.

Heskey was a figure of ridicule when we signed him for big money and many thought it was awful business but he was immense and got back into the England squad.

In the opposite way Toney was garbage for us but a world beater after he left.

Different players perform differently at different clubs, under different managers. It's not always going to work but we've seen it enough that you can't always judge a player by what they do elsewhere.

Perkins was a Blackpool reject in terrible relegated side and everyone at the time thought it was a bit of an underwhelming signing but he went on to be our player of the season.

Jussi was in his 40s and every other club thought he was over the hill but he was immense in his first season.

Bramble was a laughing stock and most of our fans were unhappy about us signing him but went on to get 4 awards at POTS.

Heskey was a figure of ridicule when we signed him for big money and many thought it was awful business but he was immense and got back into the England squad.

In the opposite way Toney was garbage for us but a world beater after he left.

Different players perform differently at different clubs, under different managers. It's not always going to work but we've seen it enough that you can't always judge a player by what they do elsewhere.

Emile Heskey was awesome for us and is up there in my all-time centre forwards with Nathan Ellington and Harry Lyon

If they can afford them,, then good luck to them.
They are decent L1 players and served us well, but unfortunately they proved to be more expensive than what we were wiling to pay.

They could be great pick ups for anyone at this level. It'll be interesting to see how far Wrexham push it financially as their policy of blowing everyone else out of the water becomes drastically more expensive in League 1. Their club wage bill was about 6m last season, when we were outspending everyone ours was more than double that so if they want to try and buy their way up again their owners are really going to feel it.

Happy with that released list in fairness. Only disappointment is Humphrys not staying but of all the OOC players we wanted to keep he has always the most unlikely. Fact we offered terms to him and Magennis but both have left but we are still in talks with Jordan Jones and Jason Kerr over new deals gives me hope that we can get it agreed on both.

I'd say Kerr is the better chance of the two of them being renewed. His long spell out injured will be a factor in this as you would think that will impact what he will be able to get salary wise going forward. Jones I would say is 50/50 on a renewal but still a chance so hope we can get something done there. If all three or all four of the ones in talks over renewals get renewed its a good start to the summer window imo.

Not too disappointed at the number of U21s being released as well. Only finished 8th in their league this season whilst the season before they finished 3rd. Also worth stressing for either part or all of last season that the likes of Tickle, Adeeko, S Smith, Hughes, Stones and Sze were all in that U21s side. The ones who were good enough to make an impact for our first team were already promoted to and were making an impact in our first team.

Plus a lot of the ones released from the U21s are 21/22 years old already. If they are at that age and have not done enough to break into the first team then its not worth persisting with them going forward. Brennan is an example of this. He had a loan at TNS in the Welsh Premier earlier in the season but wasn't a regular there and was sent back early from the loan. Now if you assume TNS as the only professional side in the Welsh league are about middle to upper National League standard and Brennan didn't set the world alight for them, he clearly won't break through into our first team. If he was only 18 or 19 you would probably give him another chance and a new deal but not at 21/22.

I still think the academy going forward is going to be something we invest in and look to use to furnish our first team squads with in the future. But we have been blessed recently with a super batch of young players and it may take a little while before we get another batch like that again. I don't think yesterday's decision to gut the U21s means we are abandoning our youth academy player pathway, we just need a better crop coming through going forward.

Busy summer for us, encouraging to hear we are in talks with a few players already over moves. Intrigued to see what the next few weeks/months bring. But I'm surprised at the negativity from some on the socials about the names on the released list. It's a list that I was expecting and don't have any gripes with it really barring not retaining Humphrys (who I wasn't expecting to stay anyway).

Saw a rumour linking us and a number of Championship clubs with Sam Cosgrove from Barnsley.

I imagine Barnsley may be willing to let him leave after he failed to really break into their starting 11, he's got previous links to Latics and we are probably after a target man. So sounds somewhat plausible.

But he's certainly not done enough to attract Championship clubs, so you've got to take the whole story with a giant pinch of salt.

Known to Rioch from his academy days, who will have a very good idea of what his potential and capabilities are, so wouldn't surprise me if this rumour has legs.

Can't wait till ur moaning like f@ck about us having no outlet or a player who can create something out of nothing next season......he may have his faults but that's surely why he was plying his trade with us 🤔
He was "plying his trade" for us because of the way he played for one season at Rochdale, especially in the games against us, myself as many others thought he was a decent punt and wanted him to do well, however he has been on the whole very disappointing, I would rather let him go and take a punt on an unproven kid with potential who will give 100% every game not just when it suits like Humphreys

He was "plying his trade" for us because of the way he played for one season at Rochdale, especially in the games against us, myself as many others thought he was a decent punt and wanted him to do well, however he has been on the whole very disappointing, I would rather let him go and take a punt on an unproven kid with potential who will give 100% every game not just when it suits like Humphreys
Don’t offen agree with you but your correct