Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 40 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

I do think we probably did look at him in some description, as that Alan Nixon generally seems to be right. But I do think we might see someone to play second fiddle to House/slightly less 'high profile' (I know a Morecambe striker isn't high profile, but I'd imagine he wanted a decent whack of money).

Not sure Stockton was what we needed but people saying we need someone to back up House is wrong In my opinion.

We need better or similar quality to House for competition purposes.

I keep reading elsewhere that House should be an automatic pick, of course he shouldn’t we should always be looking to improve and House can be improved upon. (Probably by himself as he did seem to get better and better as the season went on).

It definitely seems like it's compete with House based on these noises, we aren't going to be playing a 3-5-2 (thought that could be good with Mandroiu behind House and A.N Other). Most likely the 3-4-3/5-2-3 from last season, maybe a bit of 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

Reeco-Hackett Fairchild seems like one of the options alongside Mandroiu and Duffy in the positions behind House, and then we'll sign an alternative to House.

We obviously still have Adelakun (probably not here), Bishop (slightly more likely to be here than Adelakun!) and Vernam (possibly off to make way for someone else?) as well as Kendall (suspect he will not be playing) in those behind House positions? So there's a bit of movement to come...

4 or 5 league one clubs are chasing Glentoran striker Connor McMenamin, who apparently Lincoln were looking at recently, but seemingly now out of the race. 27years old, seems to like scoring goals.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of quality we end up with as a second striker. I don't think we'll go for a Stockton/Marquis type, nor do I think we'll be spending big, but it'd be nice to get a couple of decent strikers in who're of a similar quality.

I'm not sure I'd be wanting a PL loanee being the back-up lone striker and trying to get a more senior one in if possible.

We need to sign 2 strikers otherwise the club are cutting corners and we’ll end up with square pegs in round holes.

Ben House can’t do everything, he’s going to get injured, suspended and lose form over the course of the season.

If for whatever reason we want to change formation and go 2 up top, we still need a striker on the bench.

If we go with 2 strikers again and Ben House does his ACL 4 games in, we’re screwed.

Unless we are seriously considering a promotion challenge this season, signing him doesn't make a lot of sense.

I was rather hoping Lincoln City were intending to mount a serious promotion challenge in 23-24. After four seasons in League One and with excellent owners, further investment and a very impressive young manager top-six at least is surely the aim for the coming season.

I was rather hoping Lincoln City were intending to mount a serious promotion challenge in 23-24. After four seasons in League One and with excellent owners, further investment and a very impressive young manager top-six at least is surely the aim for the coming season.
I think the optimistic among us feel that we are heading in the right direction. We have retained the bulk of our squad, especially the spine, from last season, there is probably an optimism among the players who are young and motivated and had a great run-in to the end of the season. Fingers crossed our first three signings look promising, but the realists among all know that football an turn on its head in a moment, so we’ll see how it goes 🤔🤞🫣

We certainly seem to be heading in the right direction - well run with a good young Manager.

Promotion? We’re playing against a stacked deck of clubs either with greater resources or pretending to have greater resources (and getting away with it). I’d say top 10 is realistic.

Forget House in all this. He is a good young player, knows where the back of the net is, when he is provided with service and has many attributes which make him an important member of our squad. But we need to be able to play differently to what we did last season because we simply don't score enough goals playing as we did with just him as out and out centre forward who's main concern was running his nuts off chasing players down rather than concentrating in getting in good positions to score goals.

We have to be much more attacking minded this season if Kennedy wants to live up to his promise of bums off seats. We just can't play as a counter attacking team soaking up pressure then trying to hit teams on the break because people, as of last season, will get bored with it. It can be part of the way you play but we need to add strength and height up front in particular because if we play with wide men, and we've just signed one so it looks like we will, what is the point of him beating his opponent to put a cross in that isn't going to be competed for?

Football is about being able to play in different ways and styles and we need to add that dimension to our play.

To me we look as if we have learnt we needed taller, stronger players in other areas, we now need to add that up front to make us more competitive in that area.

I mean player without 5 centre backs in a back 5 might make us more attacking. You don't become a more attacking team by throwing more players up front I don't think.
Agree with this, we looked far better with Sorensen and Boyes who are naturally more attacking then Roughan and Poole.

For me the way to improve our attacking is getting Wing backs who can attack and are not Centre Backs.

Shame Appleton didnt play 3 at the back as he had two ideal wing backs in Bramall and Norton-Cuffy.

Agree with this, we looked far better with Sorensen and Boyes who are naturally more attacking then Roughan and Poole.

For me the way to improve our attacking is getting Wing backs who can attack and are not Centre Backs.

Shame Appleton didnt play 3 at the back as he had two ideal wing backs in Bramall and Norton-Cuffy.

He did try 3 at the back at the end a bit, but sadly mostly after Bramall got injured I think! I think we had players for three at the back earlier than it was tried, but also stuff like Whittaker at wing back or Hopper and Marquis as a front two didn't work so well.

He did try 3 at the back at the end a bit, but sadly mostly after Bramall got injured I think! I think we had players for three at the back earlier than it was tried, but also stuff like Whittaker at wing back or Hopper and Marquis as a front two didn't work so well.

Completely forgot about Whittaker at Wing back.

That would be very nice. As others have said, our budget does not compare favourably - our CEO confirmed last season that we had a bottom ten budget, and the same has been confirmed for this season.

Those excellent owners will not authorise overspending and living way beyond our means which makes competing with those who do very difficult.