Summer 2019 Transfers | Page 71 | Vital Football

Summer 2019 Transfers

Is Skrtl at 35 fast enough or slower than Hanley?
It is also about decision making and influence. I am not a massive fan of Skrtl but I am not a big fan of Hanley's either - He makes too many mistakes and makes the wrong decision this then leads to Godfrey making mistakes and then the whole back 4 become shaky. That 3rd Chelsea goal is Hanley's fault he is drawn over then turns his back.

Unfortunately, there aren't many central defenders on a free who would improve us but I think Skrtl would short term but then would he want to be second fiddle to Zimmermann and Godfrey and how much would he cost weekly?

You have players like Marc Wilson who has been there and done it and is a decent player but then you look at his last two clubs Sunderland and Bolton both relegated.

Heise can play at CB but he hasn't played a game of football for a long length of time since 2018.

We had to include Thompson in our list of homegrown because we don't have enough - he will not play for us this season as out on loan.

Who was the last club to come up and spend 1 million and stay in the prem? or who was the last club to spend that amount and stay up (of the clubs who are relegation candidates)? Also, if we stay up will we do the same again and spend maybe 2 million or overtime would the club look to spend more? The argument that I read/hear is 'well we spent money before and we went down so why should we do it again?' is ridiculous - I mean so we got burnt before we won't do it again this is football sometimes you get burnt but sometimes you have to spend the cash and that is another issue with having owners who don't have lots of money that are less keen to spend the money as it probably means more to them and well they don't have the resources to keep spending 20 million every time. The thing about the spending lots in my opinion was a whole load of circumstances - Hooper was a brilliant forward in Scotland, RvW was excellent in his record of scoring that was around 14 million spent but that didn't work because Hughton didn't manage them well and the style of play was terrible also the fact that RvW picked up an injury and his confident went and Hughton/coaches just didn't see this and stuck to one game plan - Hooper again suffered that season - if they would have had a different manager you never know that season. Why buy two goal scorers for decent money and go 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-5-1 he at times had RvW on his own with us sitting back and the same with Hooper and we all knew it wasn't working. In that season we also spent money on Ollson, Redmond and Garrido who were all decent for us so that side worked - Then the AN cash splash was just stupid Naismith was the main money spent around 8/9 million which in terms of football is still nothing (but to poor millionaire owners it is). Klose cost around 7 million but he is still here and has been good for us when fit so would we see that as a failure? Along with those two Pinto 2 mil , Maddison 2 mil , Jarvis 2 mil , Godfrey. combined it comes to around 20 million but that was down to poor summer planning - AN thought Whittaker - Bassong - Martin - Turner - Bennett would work in the prem plus playing one of your biggest signings in Brady at Left Back when he had been performing as an attacking left winger shows the poor vision of the season he had. Like DF he wanted to give the championship side a chance and it went tits up (probably because AN lost confidence in his ability and decided to turn into Hughton). I think spending that much in a January window is a sign you fucked up summer and are in a panic or was it the same as DF has had to deal with (no money and see what is happening in January) AN spent around 7 million got 3 loans in and 2 free players then jan came and they then decided to give him some money.....too late. The argument of spending money and it, not working can also be used to not spending money and it not working as Worthy can tell you I think he spent around 2 million and then again got to January and then splashed the cash on Ashton but it was too late. Summer planning is key and the last few times we have got it wrong. I am not a fan of splashing the cash in January.

Could I please ask for a favour, in future could you please turn the above paragraph into smaller ones. They are easier to read and I am keen to read what you have to say.

May I thank you in anticipation of your attention.

Sometimes we are too nice - other clubs would have just sold Srbeny (why is he still here?), Tettey would have been released, Hanley had interest but he stayed - I wonder if the reason these three are still here is because DF didn't have money to spend and if we would have got rid of these three the squad would have been so slim.

Correct!

Stiepermann and Buendia have both been poor and looking out of their depth after 4 games - I would start thinking about maybe getting Roberts on the right and Bundia behind Pukki

People have to ask themselves about Roberts.....not a sniff of a chance at Man City and why has Farke left him on the sidelines? Not good at workrate? Something else?

We had to include Thompson in our list of homegrown because we don't have enough - he will not play for us this season as out on loan.

The loan is only to the January 2020 window and I suspect that is just to get him match fit after being out injured. Who knows what the second half of the season brings.....I suspect Tettey is the one at risk of being omitted from the 25 along with a few others.

Does that mean every time we get fortune and promotion that we will always come straight back down as all other clubs have way more money than us.
Common Factor. Not richer enough owners.
Get promotion and sell up.

I was speaking to a friend before the season started and there seems to be two risky periods:

First you have to hang in for the first season, either you are lucky enough to identify cheaper priced players in the UK and the rest of Europe (e.g., Lambert)

or you do an AFC Bournemouth who spent enough in their first season to hang on and then build.

If you survive, the transition to better and more expensive players seems to go along side relegation! Hughton didn't have enough resources to mange that for us.

The loan is only to the January 2020 window and I suspect that is just to get him match fit after being out injured. Who knows what the second half of the season brings.....I suspect Tettey is the one at risk of being omitted from the 25 along with a few others.
I hope so. Interesting how he is now able to play but with us he picks up an injury every time he looks at grass.

People have to ask themselves about Roberts.....not a sniff of a chance at Man City and why has Farke left him on the sidelines? Not good at workrate? Something else?
Some people say that DF didn't want to play him because after 4 games we were playing his former club and he wouldn't be able to play meaning it could disrupt the side - I think that is rubbish. He comes across as a bit of a wideboy (is that the term?) and maybe he thinks he is better than he is and attitude could be an issue. Paddy D said that he had heard only good things from the club regarding Roberts but DF wasn't that impressed with anyone after Crawley

I hope so. Interesting how he is now able to play but with us he picks up an injury every time he looks at grass.

Lets hope that changes in the future.
I like Tommo because he knows his job is to stay in front of the defence and protect it. No need to go on glory runs (e.g.,
Johnson).

Could I please ask for a favour, in future could you please turn the above paragraph into smaller ones. They are easier to read and I am keen to read what you have to say.

May I thank you in anticipation of your attention.
It doesnt let me post that much txt, tried before but it cut it off and deleted everything too!

Some people say that DF didn't want to play him because after 4 games we were playing his former club and he wouldn't be able to play meaning it could disrupt the side - I think that is rubbish. He comes across as a bit of a wideboy (is that the term?) and maybe he thinks he is better than he is and attitude could be an issue. Paddy D said that he had heard only good things from the club regarding Roberts but DF wasn't that impressed with anyone after Crawley
I was at crawley and roberts was one of our better players on a crap night and did put in a shift

Re out of contract CB.

We have nominated our 25 man squad:
17 non home
5 home
3 home - spare

Does this mean we could only sign an out of contract "home" player before the Jan 2020 window (where you can also change the 25 squad) ?