Summer '14 - '15 | Page 19 | Vital Football

Summer '14 - '15

FINALLY......it is reported that our scouts have been watching Jonathan Mensah, 24 year old Ghanain CB playing in France with Evian.....I've been suggesting him for about 3 years! Probably only looking at him now because he's a free agent in the summer! lol.

They finally listen to oor Wee Od! They better sign him quick. Looks like no Denayer for CL qualifiers. We'll be drafting Big Bobo back into defense. Hell, we're probably still paying him!

Nah, Bobo will be paid off now....Mowbray on the other hand.....Haha!

If we want him on a free, I suggest we hurry up about making an approach! We could offer him a deal now! He's one of the best affordable CBs in Europe at the moment. Evian have never done great in the French Ligue1 but I don't think it's so much down to their defence leaking goals, it's more to do with not being able to score at the other end! They've survived in the top flight of French football for about 4 seasons or so now though so they're doing alright.
Mensah is still quite young though but he has a LOT of experience at World Cups and Africa Cup of Nations tournaments! How many other CBs are we going to find with that sort of experience at his age? And that would be available for free?

Apparently we're still interested in Sergio Araujo, 23 year old Argentinian striker. We were linked with him in January. He's on loan at Las Palmas in the Spanish 2nd Division but are currently tied 2nd and are bidding for promotion. Araujo's parent club is Boca Juniors in Argentina but he spent time on loan in Spain before when he was with the Barcelona B team.
16 goals and 8 assists this season. Predicted cost = £3m

[youtube=1OBZJtN8e6Y]

It's also being suggested we might replace Denayer with a fellow Belgian and a fellow Man City player. Dedryck Boyata has told the Manchester press that he will be leaving this summer despite still having 1 year left on his contract. He seemed to be kept at Man City this season as back-up instead of getting to go out on loan. However he's only made on appearance in the EPL, played a full game, played 2 full games in the FA Cup, played the full Community Shield at the start of the season and a 20 minte appearance in the Leage Cup.

He is versatile though, can play CB or RB and wouldn't cost much in terms of transfer fee. He's 24 and will be 25 in November, I think he realises he needs to get out and start playing football!
I could see us taking him on loan next season with a view to taking him on a bosman next year!

We've been linked with Boyata a number of times over the years but nothing has ever come of it.

Yeah, I read that. With him and Mensah, Ronny seems to be wasting no time finding a defensive partnership. We will at least have Virgil for qualifiers. We'd just need one other.

I'm sure welch liked this guy last time I posted a video of him; Manabu Saito, 25 year old Japanese international left winger/CAM playing for Yokohama F Marinos in Japan. If we're looking for someone to unlock opposition defences, this guy looks like he could do it! He's small which could be an issue but he's got a lot of fight in him!

[youtube=luZtY5Q_mfY]

Or I think another option would be Takashi Usami; almost 23 year old, Japanese international CAM/secondary striker playing for Gamba Osaka in Japan but he spent a season on loan at Bayern Munich when he was just 19 and the following season was spent on loan at Hoffenheim. He didn't score loads or set up many during either of those spells but he gained valuable experience and his goalscoring record for Gamba is impressive - 123 appearances, 60 goals and then he also has 30 assists to add on top of that!
He's skillful and he's very good at making space for himself. My only reason for not being too sure is that I'm not sure about his fitness level or whether he could run the whole game like Johansen does at the moment, would be well worth looking at though!

[youtube=ywubLPe-nTA]

Apparently we're interested in Josh Ginnelly, 18 year old winger from Shrewsbury Town. Also attracting interest from Ipswich. He would be another player to go into our development squad.

[youtube=wtUAgHcZu5Y]

[youtube=ENqNVNoIsf0]

Apparently we've had scouts in Belgium to watch Club Brugge defender Brandon Mechele, 22 year old Belgian CB. It seems a little less likely than some of our other rumoured interests as he is currently valued around £2.5m but he has another 4 years left on his current contract, that's going to push the price of him up a lot!

However, looking at Club Brugge's team, they have a lot of strength in depth at CB so I don't see them being too difficult to negotiate with as they wouldn't need to replace him. It's always difficult with teams who don't want to sell, and while they may not particularly want him to go....it's not because of the problems of trying to replace him.

We're being linked with a move for Ciftci again, valued at £3m but apparently Deila thinks he can get him for about £1.5m. Personally I'm not convinced he's right for us.......

Also apparently chasing Ben Kennedy, 18 year old striker for Stevenage. it seems that Arsenal and Tottenham are both watching him as well.

Slightly worrying we are looking to the lower leagues of England for new recruits....at least they're young but we've tried this before and it didn't really work (Josh Thompson for one).

Reports suggest Man City want to send Denayer on loan to an English CHAMPIONSHIP team instead of back to us. Surely it makes sense to get him more European experience? Even if not us, send him abroad to a team competing in Europe!

STV have been looking at what will happen this summer as Deila prepares to trim the squad. Who stays and who goes....

Gordon - STAY
Fasan - STAY
Zaluska - GO

Lustig - STAY
Matthews - STAY
Fisher - STAY (may go on loan)
Ambrose - STAY
Denayer - STAY (they think he'll be back)
VVD - GO
Izzy - GO
O'Connell - STAY (may go on loan)

Johansen - STAY
Mulgrew - GO
Bitton - STAY
Brown - STAY
Henderson - STAY
Commons - STAY
GMS - STAY
Armstrong - STAY
Forrest - STAY
Boerrigter - GO
Tonev - GO
Wakaso - GO
McGregor - STAY
Rogic - STAY (may go on loan)

Pukki - GO
Balde - GO
Stokes - STAY
Griffiths - STAY
Guidetti - GO
Scepovic - GO

That would be 20 players staying and 11 going. Deila apparently plans a squad of 21 professionals supplemented by our best youth players.

If you consider adding another striker and a replacement CB for VVD leaving, the squad size would still be pretty spot on unless some of them went out on loan, then we might look to strengthen with another couple of players.

John Souttar, Dundee United's young CB/RB/CM/DM....general utility player basically. He's still only 18 years old but he currently has 47 appearances for the first team, 43 of which he started the game and 40 of those 43 starts he played the full 90 mins. Over the last year or so he has had a couple of injury problems but he was probably one of the best players for United when we played them last weekend when he played CM.

Replacement for Mulgrew?

Do we need to replace Mulgrew? We have a logjam in midfield already. We do technically need to replace him in the sense that he was cover for CB under Lennon. But really, we just need three CBs at a minimum. What's worrisome for next season is that we're having to essentially rebuild the defensive partnership and get another good forward in.

Also, I'd say we will probably see Stokes go. He was linked with moves to England a few moths ago and has not figured much in the squad since his bender in Dublin. It's too bad. He has talent and flashed it quite successfully at times both up front and on the left. But he seems to fade away all too often.

Why don't we have any really good CBs and forwards coming through the youth system? For that matter, who is the last good forward we got from our youth system? I'd say Watt and we know what happened with him.

Depends if Mulgrew goes or not. If you say he does then we could do with someone in who can play both CB and CM/DM as we don't really have another "utility player" and if we were to lose one or both of Brown and Bitton, who do we have then?
Johansen moves back? That's one option. Henderson? Depends if he's on loan again or not. Armstrong? Can do the job but it's certainly not his best position and I think the same could be said for Johansen.

I think the only way Stokes will go is if we get a replacement in first, he's still an important part of this squad. Stokes is an awkward one to replace though. Griffiths will be our only true striker next season if we offload Scepovic but Stokes can play there, so what constitutes a replacement? A striker? A winger? Or someone else who can play both positions just like Stokes can?

We've had a couple of good CBs come through the system but chances have been in short supply. We have O'Connell but he has been recovering from a hernia operation which is why we've not seen much of him this season. Stuart Findlay is out on loan but he'll either be kept as back-up for O'Connell to go out on loan or he may go back out on loan again next year, hopefully somewhere a bit better than Dumbarton. Our development squad CBs this season have been much younger lads, still only about 17/18 and they are developing well but not ready for even being back-up for the first-team.

Marcus Fraser was one of our best hopes but he wasn't going to get much chance in the first team this season on his return from a bad injury and Ross County offered him a chance so he opted to move on. Now he's flying with Ross County (I know they've been struggling to avoid relegation but they're doing well now) playing as a RB who bombs forward down the wing. He scored a cracking goal the other week. He could be one of those players we regret letting go!

There always seems to be 2 big issues when it comes to young players getting into the team:
1. We have a big squad, so the youth players are not acting as back-up, we'd rather pay someone even more money to just warm the bench because we don't think our youth players are as good as them....
2. Any player who is on the verge of making an impact on the first team always seems to pick up an injury which halts their progress, by which point their potential space in the team is gone.
3. Loans - the teams which we send our players out on loan to are not playing at a high enough standard. McGregor did well at Notts County even though they are further down in the English leagues but still a decent competitive league. Henderson is on loan at Rosenborg and doing well, again another good league and a good team. McGeouch is on loan at Hibs and doing well but he's unlikely to be back. Some of our players have been at the likes of Dundee, Kilmarnock and Ross County but don't seem to have fully taken advantage of the opportunity. The younger players tend to go to the likes of Dumbarton, Cowdenbeath, places like that....part of the reason for that is that we don't like sending our best players out to bigger teams where they might get discovered by English teams who swoop in and lure them away. It's also another reason why we've been resisting bringing them into the first team too soon.

Defenders, especially CBs seem to be one of the positions we're least likely to give a chance to because it's obviously vital to have a strong defence and stop the opposition scoring, we've not been willing to give them a chance in any game....

Good synopsis, We Od! I have noticed that the players we send on loan never come back with any kind of impact. I kind of think we only send them if they are marginal in hopes that someone else can make them better. It doesn't happen and they just go away.

That's basically it welch. We wait too long to send them out somewhere to really gain experience and improve, then they come back having not improved so they're not closer to getting in the team. So then it comes down to sending them out to try and find potential buyers so we can offload them, or it simply runs down their contract and they leave for free afterward.

Guidetti apparently linked with a move to Sporting Lisbon.

Meanwhile we're being linked with a move for Willem II's Mitchell Dijks. Dijks is a Dutch LB who can also play CB. He joined on a free transfer from Ajax last summer and previously had a loan spell at Heerenveen. He's 22 years old and 6ft 4!!!!! He only has 1 year left on his current deal and is priced at around £900k. He has been capped at various youth levels for Holland up to the Dutch U21s.

There are fears over Izzy being ready for the start of the season and simply the fact we don't really have any back-up and it's a position Deila has talked about strengthening in the past. Tierney is one youngster we have who can play there, however we probably don't feel he is ready to start quite yet, especially in Champions League Qualifiers.
Our other LB option from the youth system is Joe Chalmers who is still kicking around. Seems he's been around for AGES without getting into the first team or really going out on loan. He's still only 21 though and I can only assume we really believe he has the ability to keep him around for so long. He's started playing really well at LB for the Development Squad this season after apparently coming back from a lengthy spell on the sidelines due to injury.

And finally.....VVD is being linked with Everton. I have to say I think if he is to go and not to one of the top clubs like Arsenal, Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea (Arsenal are about the only ones who might even be interested) then I think the best fit for him is probably Everton. A European club with ambitions to get in the CL and where he can easily be a first choice player.

Apparently Club Brugge want Bitton, they were reportedly interested last summer but nothing came of it. Now they are said to be interested in a possible player swap deal, which may end up as player plus cash.
We have been linked with interest in their CB Brandon Mechele.

The problem with this is that I can't see us allowing Bitton to leave now that he's become such an important part of the team and we don't really have a replacement already at the club. We would need to sign someone.
We have other CB options which would allow us to keep Bitton so I would think that would be our first choice but if it came down to it, we might have CM options we could bring in and do the swap deal.

We've also apparently been scouting a 12 goal striker from La Liga. Elche's Brazilian striker, Jonathas, has scored 12 times so far and is on loan from Italian side Pescara. The 26 year old has 1 year left on his contract with his parent club but being out on loan suggests he may not be wanted.

Jonathas has moved around a lot during his career. He started off in Brazil before moving to AZ Alkmaar in Holland. After a few years there he moved to Pescara where he has since been on loan to both Torino and Latina and now he's at Elche.
Since joining Elche, his valued has risen by around £3m. 12 goals in 32 appearances in one of the best leagues in the world is what has done that. At his other clubs, he has always contributed with goals but never been prolific, one of the reasons he's moved around so much. At Elche though, he seems to have found a home! The worry would be we are looking at another Scepovic type player!
Jonathas is a big and strong striker who holds the ball up, is quick enough to run at a defence and has a bit of skill! From what I've seen, the big downside with him is that while he wins aerial challenges and gets flick-ons to balls played up to him, he lays it off with no real accuracy. It doesn't usually go to a team-mate unless through pure luck!

Newly promoted Bournemouth are considering a bid for Charlie Mulgrew. Bournemouth have already said they can't afford to go mad with cash on new players so perhaps feel Mulgrew would offer value for money as well as experience and versatility.

If Craig Gordon is lured away down south, we have apparently been keeping an eye on a replacement; 24 year old Norwegian international keeper Orjan Nyland who currently plays for Molde in Norway. He is contracted to the club until 2018 but his current value is around £1.4m so we would probably be looking at around £2-2.5m.

We are also apparently watching SC Heerenveen's 22 year old CB, Kenny Otigba. Originally born in Nigeria, he is now a Hungarian national and has represented the Hungarian U21 team. Only 1 year left on his contract and he's only currently valued at about £700k but knowing Heerenveen, they'll want a lot more money than that for him!
Otigba is someone I've looked at previously and I think he could be a good fit but there isn't a lot of footage of him to go on. He's certainly got pace though! And typically he's quite a big strong lad. I think it will depend on his technical ability and his actual defending ability.

Latest Celtic News