Strong and stable - May to outlast Merkel? | Vital Football

Strong and stable - May to outlast Merkel?

Lienking

Vital Football Hero
Rather strange when Merkel is the rock of Germany and the EU, that she may be brought down by immigration too. Many people moan about our voting system, and I'm sure it could be improved (transferable votes?), but I certainly don't think proportional representation is a step forward. All it does is give the smaller parties (like the liberals) the ability to decide who governs, and often leaves them making many of the decisions too.

The German system works better than ours. It is a contributing factor as to why their economy is far better than ours. The "smaller" parties prevent the larger ones from being the lap dogs to big corporations.

Her party still holds a majority so not sure how she can be bought down. If Merkel does go it will be because of the refugee crisis, not immigration, or probably to ensure that a government is formed.

The biggest mistake with the refugees was the the distribution. For example the majority of refugees were sent to the three city states. Bremen has a population of approx 500k and 25k refugees. This is disproportional. In the beginning the majority of Germans welcomed the refugees but the government decided to further increase the numbers. It was literally too much too soon.

The other problem is the East. The mindset of the East German is somewhat puzzling. Since reunification the place has changed immensely for the better. It was a dump. This is due the the money coming from the West. But you have many who still hark back to the former soviet times and resent the changes. There are several groups who are actively advocating a move back to the good old days.

The AfD has a big following in the former East but the number of migrants in these areas is proportionately small compared to West. Even in Berlin most of their votes came from regions where the numbers of refugees is small but they did not far too well in areas where there are a higher number. A bit of a London/Lincoln syndrome. The AfD took a leaf out of the Leave and Trump campaign book and made it work.

Bremen Tree - 20/11/2017 20:48

The German system works better than ours. It is a contributing factor as to why their economy is far better than ours. The "smaller" parties prevent the larger ones from being the lap dogs to big corporations.

Her party still holds a majority so not sure how she can be bought down. If Merkel does go it will be because of the refugee crisis, not immigration, or probably to ensure that a government is formed.

The biggest mistake with the refugees was the the distribution. For example the majority of refugees were sent to the three city states. Bremen has a population of approx 500k and 25k refugees. This is disproportional. In the beginning the majority of Germans welcomed the refugees but the government decided to further increase the numbers. It was literally too much too soon.

The other problem is the East. The mindset of the East German is somewhat puzzling. Since reunification the place has changed immensely for the better. It was a dump. This is due the the money coming from the West. But you have many who still hark back to the former soviet times and resent the changes. There are several groups who are actively advocating a move back to the good old days.

The AfD has a big following in the former East but the number of migrants in these areas is proportionately small compared to West. Even in Berlin most of their votes came from regions where the numbers of refugees is small but they did not far too well in areas where there are a higher number. A bit of a London/Lincoln syndrome. The AfD took a leaf out of the Leave and Trump campaign book and made it work.

I don't know much about German politics, but surely the people who are refugees are part of
the various immigration problems? I think I know what you mean by London/Lincoln syndrome, but you would be surprised how many migrants there are in areas of Lincolnshire, particularly Boston. Again I don't know exactly how the German system works, but it was certainly unfair how much power the Liberals got. Is the German system similar to the ones in Belgium and Italy that have caused them major problems?

Lienking - 20/11/2017 22:32

Bremen Tree - 20/11/2017 20:48

I don't know much about German politics, but surely the people who are refugees are part of
the various immigration problems? I think I know what you mean by London/Lincoln syndrome, but you would be surprised how many migrants there are in areas of Lincolnshire, particularly Boston. Again I don't know exactly how the German system works, but it was certainly unfair how much power the Liberals got. Is the German system similar to the ones in Belgium and Italy that have caused them major problems?

What are these various immigration problems in Germany that you speak off? Immigration is not an issue for Germans, apart from in the east but I've already spoken about their attitude. In the main there is full acceptance of free movement under the EU. As already stated the issue was/is the number of refugees in such a short space of time and their distribution.

What I wouldn't be surprised a bout is peoples attitudes in Boston. It always has been a small farming town which tends to have inward thinking people. The number of migrants in and around Boston has boosted the economy and now it does not rely upon farming.

As I've already stated the German system ensures that the major parties do not dance to the big corporations fiddle. The smaller parties in a coalition have prevented the sale of some of the countries utilities to the private sector. Ironically, the same companies have ended up buying some of the UK utilities and re-invest the profits in the home country infrastructure not the UK's.

I don't know anything about the German situation, but migration is clearly a problem. Many people consider we have too many people here, whilst the Polish government is encouraging people to "breed like rabbits" as they are running out of people. I could be wrong on this, but I'm sure Russians are going to Poland, and Russia has got a people shortage too. Meanwhile the EU is paying despotic African leaders £3b to stop migration too.

Regarding proportional representation, it sounds like the German system works, but it all depends on the parties involved. If an extreme right or left wing party becomes the middle party, they can often end up with power their votes don't deserve (as the liberals did). Belgium I believe had no government for over a year, and the Italian ones rarely last a year!

LyttleByLyttle - 23/11/2017 11:08

What if Trump outlasts both of them?

Yes he May Trump them both! Prince Harry is being married off to Merkel to improve relations too! (or is it Markel?)