Strikers & Stats | Page 2 | Vital Football

Strikers & Stats

more and better attacking automatically improves the defence.
I guess that's the theory, and by having more of the ball and territory we might say, concede less set pieces.

However at the moment we regularly have 5 back, and the wing backs don't often get caught up the field. We're harder to counter on that we might be if we commit more players forward (and when we did get more forward, see Northampton's excellent counter goal).

Plus at the moment, the two centre mids don't always fly forward and the wide players in the front three are expected to work hard and back in the channels. A changed, attacking system might affect some of that.

I guess that's the theory, and by having more of the ball and territory we might say, concede less set pieces.

However at the moment we regularly have 5 back, and the wing backs don't often get caught up the field. We're harder to counter on that we might be if we commit more players forward (and when we did get more forward, see Northampton's excellent counter goal).

Plus at the moment, the two centre mids don't always fly forward and the wide players in the front three are expected to work hard and back in the channels. A changed, attacking system might affect some of that.
skubala talked about controlling the game, and his tent pegs phrase.

better attacking includes keeping possession better once we get into the final third. Then the wing backs should be more confident to get forward. The Northampton goal - from our attacking long throw - is where we are going wrong, and a good example of us not recycling the attacking position. We didn’t keep the pressure on them. Didn’t keep control.

sku has now had two weeks to work on the squad to develop that. Need to see some first signs of that in match play soonish.

Well we have now had 3 games with something which you could confidently call a decent forward line.

The theory we can't create chances, so better forwards wouldn't make any difference, looks like a red herring.

So if we can get Harland this window, he might make a difference, after all.

Well we have now had 3 games with something which you could confidently call a decent forward line.

The theory we can't create chances, so better forwards wouldn't make any difference, looks like a red herring.

Currently injured so he'd fit the model.

Watching the extended highlights on the OS, we certainly cfreated quite a number of chances but just can't seem to hit the target - maybe that's the next chapter of the training plan, followed by set pieces?

Q: How many goals have been scored by our strikers from open play in the 14 games since Michael Skubala was appointed?

A: One (Jack Vale at Cambridge on 28 November, and that was from the substitute's bench).

In fact, it is actually 2 goals in the last 19 games, both scored by Vale (the other being against Notts County in the Mickey Mouse).

Q: How many goals have been scored by our strikers from open play in the 14 games since Michael Skubala was appointed?

A: One (Jack Vale at Cambridge on 28 November, and that was from the substitute's bench).

In fact, it is actually 2 goals in the last 19 games, both scored by Vale (the other being against Notts County in the Mickey Mouse).
So what is your conclusion as to what this means going forward.

Personally my eyes tell me we will begin to score quite a few more goals in the rest of the season compared to the rate up until now

Stats are great if they tell you anything.

If I extrapolate the figures above Jack Vale will score a couple more goals....but we know that's not right.

We beat Cheltenham on September 30th we had 15 points from 9 games.
Since then we've picked up 20 points from 20 games, almost certainly linked to the lack of goalscoring options.
Some very winnable games hopefully coming up with some hope our young strikers can open their league goalscoring accounts for us

Last edited:
I am very wait and see but clearly the ability to play into draper and having a threat in behind makes a difference/has so far!

I think when you play the better teams in the division you do tend to get suffocated a bit but then when you get out and create chances they're quite high quality ones in open space (see taylor v Derby especially).

How we play against two poorer teams in the division will be very interesting as instead of us doing the sitting in it'll be them. I still want to see us having some patterns of play and being able to impose ourselves on games because Kennedy could get us (on occasion) a one niller against a top side but he didn't seem to know how we were going to progress the ball against Burton Albion or Cambridge or whoever.

I am very wait and see but clearly the ability to play into draper and having a threat in behind makes a difference/has so far!

I think when you play the better teams in the division you do tend to get suffocated a bit but then when you get out and create chances they're quite high quality ones in open space (see taylor v Derby especially).

How we play against two poorer teams in the division will be very interesting as instead of us doing the sitting in it'll be them. I still want to see us having some patterns of play and being able to impose ourselves on games because Kennedy could get us (on occasion) a one niller against a top side but he didn't seem to know how we were going to progress the ball against Burton Albion or Cambridge or whoever.
23/24 stats

Kennedy - P11 W4 D3 L4 goals 14 PPG 1.36 Goals PG 1.27
Shaw P5 W2 D2 L1 goals 6 PPG 1.60 Goals PG 1.20
Skubala P13 W2 D6 L5 goals 10 PPG 0.92 Goals PG 0.77

My jury is still out, last two games ironically have been more entertaining than many others in the last season and a bit, but paramount that we start scoring soon. 1. for season ticket sales and 2. to avoid slipping into the bottom half of the table. Current PPG gets us to about 51pts which would probably avoid relegation, but I want to be entertained and looking at playoffs not scraping a place in L1.

Just to be clear I was delighted to see the back of Kennedy, the fare was dire. Happy for the new man to weave some magic!

Last edited:
For the second successive match, the extended highlights showed the Imps had the majority of chances against one of the top teams.

Keep making chances, they'll start to put them away and someone could be up in for a thrashing. Though I'd settle for a few odd goal wins!