Strikers on the move | Vital Football

Strikers on the move

Bart Simpson

Vital Reserves Team
Danny reiterated in the interview last night that we are at the bottom of a chain and need others to move for things to happen.

It has been mentioned before but the most likely targets are going to be younger players (under 25ish) on the fringes of Championship or League One sides or a prolific non league striker.

Looking at the transfer news and rumours over the last few days involving Championship/League 1 clubs the most credible one's look to be Dwight Gayle to either Fulham or Leeds, Ross McCormack to either Leeds or Sunderland, Devante Cole to Sheff Utd, Sone Aluko to Reading, Ahmed Musa to Hull, James Hanson to Scunthorpe.

So any players at those clubs that fit the profile?

Cole to Sheffield Utd, Hanson to Scunthorpe and Margetts to Lincoln looks like a strong possibility to me.

Bart Simpson - 30/8/2017 13:46

Danny reiterated in the interview last night that we are at the bottom of a chain and need others to move for things to happen.

It has been mentioned before but the most likely targets are going to be younger players (under 25ish) on the fringes of Championship or League One sides or a prolific non league striker.

Looking at the transfer news and rumours over the last few days involving Championship/League 1 clubs the most credible one's look to be Dwight Gayle to either Fulham or Leeds, Ross McCormack to either Leeds or Sunderland, Devante Cole to Sheff Utd, Sone Aluko to Reading, Ahmed Musa to Hull, James Hanson to Scunthorpe.

Cole to Sheffield Utd, Hanson to Scunthorpe and Margetts to Lincoln looks like a strong possibility to me.

I would put decent money on the new striker not being Margetts. I personally don't think he's quite good enough or what we need.

I think we're after a poacher who will be in the box when Green is working the channels. Obviously a different calibre but someone like Abraham at Swansea who just sits in the box to get chances and pick up loose balls in an offensive area.

Not long until we find out now. Excited to see who it is.

Imp13 - 30/8/2017 13:49

Bart Simpson - 30/8/2017 13:46

I would put decent money on the new striker not being Margetts. I personally don't think he's quite good enough or what we need.

I think we're after a poacher who will be in the box when Green is working the channels. Obviously a different calibre but someone like Abraham at Swansea who just sits in the box to get chances and pick up loose balls in an offensive area.

Not long until we find out now. Excited to see who it is.

I agree it will not be Margetts, he only came back last time as there was no one else he could play for and he never got near the first team, The Lincoln Loco has left the station as far as Margetts is concerned.

Fed up of Margetts now, agree. He is alright as cover but I think we will want better.

It's a little worrying with this chain theory and only a day and a half left. I think the Freddie Ladapo rumours made some sense as he got onto Palace's bench.

Impish - 31/8/2017 06:06

We are short of numbers, esp as striker. Imagine if Green gets a bad knock?

Yeah. Definitely the concern with leaving it so late to get cover in.

I don't understand what people have against Margetts. His second spell last season may have been because of the two club rule but he was clearly not fit and we had Angol. He's a good striker who can score goals and importantly with the season underway, familiar to players and coaching team.

I don't think it is a case of leaving it late, exactly. It is the way football works, no one is willing to let a player go (unless they are rubbish) until they have a replacement at least as good as the one leaving. The transfer window complicates that, causing everything to become concertina'd into a day or two, and sometimes into the last few hours. Brinkmanship is the name of the game, and Premier League muppets like Costa seek to muddy the waters further by behaving like spoilt children. Clubs the size of Lincoln become part of a chain, in its lower reaches, and their ability to sign the player they want becomes subject to lots of vagaries and whims at the top of the chain. At least it keeps Jim White in a job twice a year.

Margetts would be a no, by the way.

Rasenimp - 30/8/2017 14:16

Impish - 31/8/2017 06:06

We are short of numbers, esp as striker. Imagine if Green gets a bad knock?

Yeah. Definitely the concern with leaving it so late to get cover in.

In Danny we trust ! Margetts has had his chance, will be underwhelmed if its him. Still wincing on his tackle on the Arsenal guy when he got booked. We will soon know. UTI.

My concern is if we are in this chain but said player doesn't become available what happens then? I do expect DC to have a plan B but we might not get any deals done if things fall through at the last minute. With money put aside by DC from his budget and then maybe additional funds from the sale of Raggett, two 8000 gates and money extra from last night alone, we should be able to wager a decent amount on a decent striker.

I think it is a good sign that we are in a chain. We have the finances now to bring in a decent player. I think we would have already brought someone in, if it weren't for the fact this Mystery guy, is worth waiting for. We will have other options lined up as back up.

Croozey - 30/8/2017 15:18

I think it is a good sign that we are in a chain. We have the finances now to bring in a decent player. I think we would have already brought someone in, if it weren't for the fact this Mystery guy, is worth waiting for. We will have other options lined up as back up.

I hope you're right. Danny also said in his post match interview that we may not be able to afford two which suggests it will be a permanent signing and a sizable fee.

re: saying we may not be able to afford two - i think he is always playing things down...

much better than saying 'we can afford' when agents are listening, and things are about to go bonkers on the last day.

i would not be surprised if we are set up in more than one 'chain' where this extra striker is concerned.

Not even an ounce of a rumour on this one. It could be right out of the left field similar to Bostwick.

Impish - 30/8/2017 14:42

My concern is if we are in this chain but said player doesn't become available what happens then? I do expect DC to have a plan B but we might not get any deals done if things fall through at the last minute. With money put aside by DC from his budget and then maybe additional funds from the sale of Raggett, two 8000 gates and money extra from last night alone, we should be able to wager a decent amount on a decent striker.

No doubts DC will have a few plans. Jordan Slew could well be plan C or D - can still sign free agents after the window closes.

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/danny-cowley-makes-progress-quest-402639