Striker V Rolls Royce | Vital Football

Striker V Rolls Royce

As the chairman sat at his desk pondering the decision to spend money on a striker that can actually put the ball in the back of the net or purchase a Rolls Royce with Scally number plate; I wonder if it ever occurred to him that a striker might be the way to go... for the greater good.

Having decided to go for the Rolls, I would imagine most people would give it a few home games before rocking on up in it... but no, as brasen as can be, without a sense of humility or respect for the over paying season ticket holders, its parked smack bang in the front on display for all to see.

But of course its legal costs, ex managers taking us to court and greedy loanee players that are the reason we dont have a decent transfer budget.

It's not that straightforward, I'm afraid.

For a start, Scally's car is owned by him, not the club - yet the legal costs are with the club. You can't mix the two. To anyone who owns and runs a business (like me), it's basic stuff - but an easy enough mistake to make.

In any case, even a Roller wouldn't fund the a transfer/signing on fee and wages of a decent striker...

StroodYesAnotherOne - 12/8/2017 17:43

As the chairman sat at his desk pondering the decision to spend money on a striker that can actually put the ball in the back of the net or purchase a Rolls Royce with Scally number plate; I wonder if it ever occurred to him that a striker might be the way to go... for the greater good.

Having decided to go for the Rolls, I would imagine most people would give it a few home games before rocking on up in it... but no, as brasen as can be, without a sense of humility or respect for the over paying season ticket holders, its parked smack bang in the front on display for all to see.

But of course its legal costs, ex managers taking us to court and greedy loanee players that are the reason we dont have a decent transfer budget.

You clearly have no idea. Should he stop eating, buying new clothes, toiletries, using electricity, gas and water until we've won the Champions League?

EagerExile - 12/8/2017 17:50

It's not that straightforward, I'm afraid.

For a start, Scally's car is owned by him, not the club - yet the legal costs are with the club. You can't mix the two. To anyone who owns and runs a business (like me), it's basic stuff - but an easy enough mistake to make.

Could I ask how you would know how the legal costs are with the club?

Of course, the club could cover some of the costs of the car if Scally declares he is using the car for business use, but in such a case Scally will be tax liable for any benefits in kind.

I saw Liam Nash turning up in a '91 FSO Polonez earlier, I wonder what they are paying the lad?

Strood, I know where you're coming from, but I think you probably got it wrong in your assessment of Scally's pondering: I think he was probably pondering whether to buy the Rolls or more property in Dubai!!

Strood, I know next to nothing about running/owning a company but, if you had your own company and needed to recruit a new employee, would you expect to pay them from company funds or from your own pocket?
If the company could not afford a new employee would you take a cut in wages and buy a cheaper car so that you could afford a small percentage of their wages?

This is what you're asking Scally to do, I know I wouldn't.

Whoever you are that started this thread - please try to get an education before coming on here and slagging the Chairman for an unjustified reason.

This forum has enough people who can justify the comments they make on here!

Wayne.Kerr - 13/8/2017 08:33

Durham, are you sure the RR is not a club asset or leased by the club?

99% sure it is Paul's, he said after his illness he was going to treat himself to a nice set of wheels - as he is self employed he may be leasing it himself.

A RR is a bit over the top but if you can afford it why not, PS found out that life is just to short

DG, I have no idea if the car is paid for directly by the club or via cash being extracted from the business....either option, it amounts to the same result ... less funds for quality on-the-pitch..... Is it really that difficult to see the link?

EE, I have no idea if the Chairman owns the car or no; not sure its a straightforward assumption that he does to be fair. I dont, I lease mine and others via my business.

Valencia ... Yes, yes it would make a difference. It would demonstrate an empathy for the paying supporters and a tangible demonstration that GFC is simply not a cash cow funding a lifestyle.

nibbles, great point, well made.... oh sorry, I meant the other thing. For an example of 'no idea', please refer to your ludicrous final sentence. As an owner of a business, I believe you should cut your cloth to fit. If investment on the field had yielded performances and entertainment ....would it be an issue .... no