Stoke City Away - FA CUP | Page 5 | Vital Football

Stoke City Away - FA CUP

I'm not saying we should throw the game, I'm saying we should play the kids, basically an identical team to what we played against Arsenal. Stoke should be able to dispatch with us comfortably and they'll all be better for the experience. Everybody wins! I didn't even know the next round took place in bloody midweek! Even more reason to be rid of it, the whole fun of tomorrow will be the day out.

Nope, still not getting it.
So we undermine the kids, upset 4,000 travelling fans and get knocked out of the FA Cup, because you don’t actually rate our team?
Personally I want us to dick Stoke. But that’s the kind of fan I am 🙂

Firstly, it is very odd that you are getting so personal.

Our away numbers have been good, is that not something that I can mention? Or that would be mentioned on an away support thread on a football forum?

Why on earth would I not want us to get to Wembley in case some Forest and Arsenal fans laugh at us on twitter. Is that what you think?

Just out of curiosity, did you go to the Freight Rover Trophy or the Auto windscreens finals?

For clarity, I have faith in the current squad and think that we can get to Wembley and get promoted.
The latter yes. A good day, a very good day out. But I was also at Maine Road later that year as Man City (and the referee) dumped us out of the play-offs, one of the worst days of my life as a Latics fan. Would I have traded the day at the Auto Windscreens final for victory in that play-off leg, even if I didn't know the outcome of the final? You bloody bet I would. And that was back when the Football League Trophy wasn't the devalued, Premier League academy laughing stock that it is now.

Think you just answered the question. It wasn’t because we was knackered. It was Man City at Main road. And a bank on homer as a ref. Latics were the better team that day.
The whole reason we had to go to Maine Road in the playoffs to begin with was because we were knackered. It almost cost us our place in the top six entirely. Have you lost your memory?

Any feel good factor next season will evaporate fast should the club be in L1 next season. Attendances/ST sales will be down (both home and away), the likes of Lang/Thelo will have to be sold to balance the books and playing the likes of Cheltenham and Cambridge at the DW will not appeal. The owner could easily lose interest, they've already stated that the business plan would have to change if the club don't go up within the first two seasons. What happens when the money runs out?

I wonder if younger fans like you were saying the same back in 1999 when a fixture backlog cost us promotion, thinking "never mind, we'll just get promoted next season". Little did they know that it would take another four years to get out of L1.
Well financially the club has come into sell on and transfer money that is a bonus to what the owners would have in their business plan. FA Cup and Pizza Cup prize money on top likewise. Probably to the equivalent of two years season ticket sales.
Get this Stoke match and the Sutton match won Latics.

I understand what you are trying to say but how exactly do you think we should throw these games?

It was mainly kids against Arsenal and we won. What should we do? Sit down for the last 10 minutes and let the opposition score?

These are all special moments for (most) fans. I still believe we can beat Stoke, get to Wembley and get promotion. I have faith in Leam and the team.

if they don’t, it’s still Wigan Athletic and it won’t spoil the magic we have witnessed this season.
That goal against Arsenal was one of the best moments of this season. Dead proud to be a Latics fan and totally proud of those lads that night.

Not playing Devils Advocate, I was simply asking how many of us would have preferred the extra points to a cup, and the chance of another season in the PL.

Why be so sarcastic about it? Your first paragraph sums up your opinion so why have a pop at another poster.

I am probably in the minority but if you gave me a direct choice back in 2013 before or after winning the FA Cup or staying up I'd have picked staying up. As I feared much of the stuff that went on to happen to us since would possibly happen.

But that straight choice was never on offer, we could've lost the cup and gone down or won the cup and stayed up - we tried to do both which was for me the right thing to do.

But to be fair we played the reserves most of the way through the early rounds and I don't think we ever really had much fixture congestion so I think the cup didn't have a huge impact on us being stretched too thin.

We can say the cup distraction cost us against a injury hit Swansea the midweek before the final but that was down to our own poor professionalism / focus / mentality - I've never been as angry at this team as I was coming away from that game.

But even that was one on many reasons we went down, not good enough recruitment and injuries were a factor but mainly we went down because that season in the league we hardly ever turned in a good performance.

So I don't blame the FA Cup for our relegation I think we let ourselves down in the league regardless.

Games like tonight is what the Fa Cup is about. Boro fans will be loving it if they win. It needs to be promoted properly and prize money should be increased. Hope they win!