Steve Evans Requests Football Association Simulation Action | Page 2 | Vital Football

Steve Evans Requests Football Association Simulation Action

It's a tricky one because no one wants to see diving. However, do you punish players that dived and appealed for a foul but ref waves play on without taking action? Or is it only for incidents where a free kick or penalty is won?

I thought it was a penalty last night for the pull on his arm. Johnson does have form for going down easy, which has possibly meant getting genuine penalties a couple of times this season.

Like Hopper is known for backing in to players and falling over as if he has been pushed over. Some refs have clearly done there homework and in a couple of games, he probably hasn’t had fouls which have been genuine.

What I find incredible is that a manager can call the ref's boss, complain about something and the ref's boss will, after consulting with colleagues, come back and tell the manager the ref was wrong? If anything is going to (further) undermine the ref's authority, then this is it. As with many things Evans, I find it hard to believe.

Yep I agree. If more fouls were given when the foulee stayed.on their.feet.then the reason to dive would be reduced.
That's the nub of the problem, referees so rarely give fouls - especially in the box - if the player stays on his feet.

Johnson has a reputation but diving, but one of his first matches for us, Ipswich I think, he was fouled, stayed on his feet and got a (poor, off balance) shot away though it was saved, ref gave nothing. Two minutes later he went down like a sack of spuds in the classic "there was contact Gary, he was entitled to go down" scenario, penalty awarded which won us the game and had Lambert's meltdown at the ref.

Sadly, is it any wonder players do this?

What I find incredible is that a manager can call the ref's boss, complain about something and the ref's boss will, after consulting with colleagues, come back and tell the manager the ref was wrong? If anything is going to (further) undermine the ref's authority, then this is it. As with many things Evans, I find it hard to believe.
That's at least the 3rd time this season a bitter opposition manager has claimed to have "had a word".

For me, last night was definitely not a penalty. Anthony Martial took a blatant dive the other night, and despite the full terrible power of VAR the decision to overrule the penalty decision wasn't taken. So, how on earth does anyone decide which decision is correct and then decide if it was blatant enough to retrospectively issue a ban?
God, I long for times when football was a simple and enjoyable thing to watch, without constant cheating, screaming players, VAR, and all the other nonsense that will eventually kill the game for many!

Edit- forgot to finish. Whether you agree or disagree that it wasn't a penalty, Evan's is still a complete male chicken.

Brennan Johnson is a diver. Everyone knows it.

The ref last night was very close so presumably saw a slight trip or pull. In that case he should have given us the penalty, then booked Johnson as well, because the dive was laughable.

There is no excuse for it (Jorge Grant is similar by the way) and you either accept it, or I don't want to see a single post on this forum complaining the next time that our opponents are awarded a debatable penalty.

Because that would just mean you're all a bunch of insufferable hypocrites.

Agree with this 100%

The EFL ought to look at the managerial career of Steve Evans when they begin to retrospectively look at matters. How is he allowed to manage after everything that he did at Boston?

Whilst the EFL are looking retrospectively, then they ought to look at the shenanigans that have happened at honourable clubs like Blackburn, Blackpool and Coventry too, and how the EFL have sat back and done absolutely nothing. The revolution at Blackpool was brought about by a court case and supporters not attending games. We are clearly about to enter a new time in the UK and world once this horrible and cruel pandemic passes. When it does, then England needs to look at how football is run. It would be a blessing if there was a clear out at the EFL and a new and honourable organisation is created.

It was a dive and we are better than that. We would all be furious if the shoe was on the other foot.

Whilst none of us are a fan of Evans, we had the quality to ease past his team without needing to resort to cheating.

Having reviewed the highlights, it looked to me like a combined dive and stuck out leg which the red gave the penalty for. It was a bit theatrical, and yes we know Johnson has dived before, but that looks a penalty to me. (Edit - a soft one)

Interesting how on the Gillingham site there is an interview with Vadaine Oliver saying how he's going to 'make a nuisance of himself' against Lincoln. Sounds like he certainly did that and then some.

Of course, no Gillingham player, or player from other teams have or will ever 'dive' to gain advantage in or out of the penalty area!.

Whilst Johnson went down very easily, it was also the case that the ref was very close to the incident and would have had a better view than us. I think he spotted something and it is notable that the Gillingham players did not protest very much. Don’t like to see our players go to ground so easily though. So much of this sort of thing (to paraphrase Father Ted) in the game. When Grant got fouled in the first half he fell holding his face when the contact was minor. And then there was the dreaded ‘Farman time’ most games a couple of years ago. All clubs do it and we are no worse than Gillingham or anyone else. Wish we were better though, but maybe that is naive.

Of course, no Gillingham player, or player from other teams have or will ever 'dive' to gain advantage in or out of the penalty area!.

Of course they would. This is an example of a game wide problem, which makes the game worse.

It doesn't mean it's okay and good for the game as a whole.