Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 33 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

Many I know are there, or there abouts.#

Thing is though mate, it isn't about whether the fans are throwing in the towel or not, I've watched us (same as many of you fine folks) season after season with ever diminishing returns/hope .. that isn't in question. It is the players who count and we have got worse, and v Saints, they did throw in the towel. It is not us fans who would be sending us down, we are top of the table fans, it is the team/managers etc.

Absolutely right, most of our fans are second to none and ultimately there’s sod all we can do about performances on the pitch but most of the Villa fans I know still believe we have a chance of staying up rather than believing we’re already down. Nowt wrong in believing that whilst it’s still in our own hands, no matter how poor we were at Southampton. Travelling down there last week and watching the pathetic effort was depressing in the extreme....but still believe we’ve a chance...it’s the only way I can cope with the disappointment that so often comes our way!

This is what I mean Tarzan though, staying up was a fluke to me which is why I'm hitting goal difference and have stuck to it. We were never going to do a Wolves or others because of the summer changes.

This season is a gimme - it doesn't reflect on players/managers/owners - this year was a gimme to put foundations in place.

Next season is what matters.

You either ignore the summer and think everything is shit, or you look for silver linings next year - I'm in the latter camp.
Yep I agree - a gimme. Is Smith good enough- not a chance on his first season harsh I know. Foundations in place for sure with the financial results that have come out. For me we need a new manager whether we stay up or not.

Yep I agree - a gimme. Is Smith good enough- not a chance on his first season harsh I know. Foundations in place for sure with the financial results that have come out. For me we need a new manager whether we stay up or not.
Why do we need a new coach in all honesty m8.
If we do go down we have the coach who got us up in the first place at the helm.
A coach who will have the nucleus of a solid team to add subtle changes that know from the get go how Smith sets up teams, and very well for that league.
Stability for the season like Norwich will have or Sheffield utd did to go up the leagues.
A coach who is known for playing exciting gung-ho football that gets promotion , all the best attacking teams go up from the championship such as WBA , wolves , Fulham, Norwich etc CV.
No , this season was the season we were gonna go up so to see the premier league early has been a great bonus but without a stable, use to each other team we were always going to struggle .
Why rock the boat and bring in some one who might keep us up like fat Sam or Johnny foreigners, then start all over again?
Let’s just build on the squad we have that’s getting settled, a coach who’s respected for playing top lever championship football and our owners who are building an empire slowly.
My god we are at Wembley for the 3rd season in a row so it’s not that bad, how many teams can claim that outside the big 6?

But it's a day we didn't play? Until we finite know the result of 'that' fixture why the meltdowns? If fans can't have hope, why do we expect players to have confidence?

There's an old saying that a team's backbone reflects that of the fans... One strength Palace have is that no badly how their team is doing they'll always support them.

Been looking at some matches to come. The next 7, to the end of March to be precise, for our rivals. Brighton and Bournemouth have a horrible list, probably 6 very difficult games out of the 7. We're somewhat better. Watford and West Ham better again. This is going to run and run.

more a question of do you stick with the current recruiting and coaching setup for next season - given the lack of progress and quality recruited
or hope that the management team that secured fifth place last time defies the odds that only 30% 'bounce' straight back up.

#bright future

They will now win the league against us. Deal with it. Spoil the party. Be that team and screw them over. We need to win five games, that's not miraculously become four, nor was it ever going to be. It is what it is. Win five stay up. End of.

Reading these threads confuses me, although my missis would say that's easily done. I'm so confused that. when I read about how shit we are I agree. Then I read the positive comments and I think, "Yeah! all is not lost." Then I go to the game and watch the team perform and I feel like cutting my throat. It's a bastard. You always hope for the best but aren't surprised when it goes tits up.
Well said.

The problem is other teams are getting unexpected results against the top teams but Villa aren’t, if Villa do come out a Wembley and give a good account of themselves, even in defeat I would be asking where is that effort and commitment week in week out.
We have players who show the passion and effort but far too many of our squad are inconsistent, not improving and if anything have got worse as season has progressed , a big look must be taken at our training and our recruitment policy.

Very disappointing looking at the table this morning. Hopefully, the luck that has gone against us will be balanced out by some luck in the final tonight.

Either way, time to get out act together.

Thing is though mate, it isn't about whether the fans are throwing in the towel or not, I've watched us (same as many of you fine folks) season after season with ever diminishing returns/hope .. that isn't in question. It is the players who count and we have got worse, and v Saints, they did throw in the towel. It is not us fans who would be sending us down, we are top of the table fans, it is the team/managers etc.
Yes, last week was very much throwing in the towel. It was a spineless, gutless and heartless display against a relegation rival. Pathetic stuff at this time of the season.

Today will be the equivalent of the Rotherham game last season when our season turned around.
All sing along to Gloria Gaynor. 1,2,3,4 "I will survive, I will survive" 🎶

Survival? Mathematically possible but highly unlikely given how Deano has made this shower worse game by game.

I was positive until the end of November but by then the flaws in Deanos coaching and set up were beginning to be obvious, should’ve got rid then.

Instead here we are descending with all the grace of shit flung off a cliff waiting for the inevitable splat.

After the early part of this season I was pleasantly surprised to see our goal difference in the plus compared to other teams well in the minus. How we’ve fallen apart! Only Norwich worse than us now, our management team unable to stop the collapse. They still have a chance. Survive and so will Dean - probably. Go down and I’d prefer him to go as he was unable to achieve his minimum objective with maximum backing at his disposal. Suso too for his lame recommendations and Purslow for a badly failed plan.

So much money wasted on complete dross.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

The only signings I'd call 'complete dross' are Trezeguet and Wesley. I wouldn't put Targett in that category but he was utterly horrific value for money. Engels I can't really make my mind up but the majority of his appearances for us have ranged from average to poor.

A few of the others, such as Luiz, Nakamba, Konsa, El Ghazi are actually talented players IMO but not ready to be relied upon consistently at this level.

Heaton, Mings and Samatta for me are pretty good signings although Mings did cost a lot.

The main issue is the strategy, too many work in progress type players, and ~£50m wasted on Wesley, Trezeguet and Targett not helping. We needed a better balance of experienced pros with leadership skills and 'know how' at this level to give the younger players more support.

Very similar to 2016 unfortunately...

The players were a disgrace at Southampton, no fight, crap tactics , a dross centre of midfield. They look disinterested and unmotivated