Statistics…. | Vital Football

Statistics….

billytwodogs

Vital Squad Member
…from the last 10 games have the odds seriously stacked against us.
Excluding the Crawley game, we have Barrow & Stockport. Crawley have Walsall &Swindon.

Walsall. P 10. W1. D4. L5.
Swindon P 10. W1. D4. L5.

Barrow P 10. W3. D4. L3.
Stockport P 10. W4. D6. L0.

Out of the 20 games played by our 2 remaining opponents only 3 have been lost.
Out of the 20 played by Crawley’s opponents 10 have been lost and between them they have managed 2 wins.

The stats suggest Crawley will gain more points from their last 2 games than we will, or at least Walsall & Swindon will drop more points than Barrow & Stockport. Even if we win on Saturday it is highly unlikely it will be enough to save our league status.
:red:

…from the last 10 games have the odds seriously stacked against us.
Excluding the Crawley game, we have Barrow & Stockport. Crawley have Walsall &Swindon.

Walsall. P 10. W1. D4. L5.
Swindon P 10. W1. D4. L5.

Barrow P 10. W3. D4. L3.
Stockport P 10. W4. D6. L0.

Out of the 20 games played by our 2 remaining opponents only 3 have been lost.
Out of the 20 played by Crawley’s opponents 10 have been lost and between them they have managed 2 wins.

The stats suggest Crawley will gain more points from their last 2 games than we will, or at least Walsall & Swindon will drop more points than Barrow & Stockport. Even if we win on Saturday it is highly unlikely it will be enough to save our league status.
I recall Corporal Frazer from Dads Army.

Its the hope that kills you but in some ways its lucky that there is no hope. The Maths tell us we are not down yet but I think most Poolies know the situation is hopeless.

To have any chance of avoiding relegation, Pools have to win both their remaining home games.
I don't think Pools have managed consecutive home victories all season.

Last edited:
[All views are my own not influenced by others :red:[/QUOTE]

Yes, but that's the trouble. I'm sorry, billy, but you're fired.

Now I'm off for a spell of stress and panic before the match starts.........:oops:

[All views are my own not influenced by others :red:

Yes, but that's the trouble. I'm sorry, billy, but you're fired.

Now I'm off for a spell of stress and panic before the match starts.........:oops:[/QUOTE]

Panic over, the inevitable has been (all but) confirmed. It's back to the NL next season

Poor performance against a side who had won one game away from home all season, before today. We’ve been the gift that keeps on giving and we haven’t stopped yet. Absolute fodder.

We just cant seem to defend both goals today were from defensive errors. Askey will need to build a whole new team based on a solid defence cos otherwise it will be conference north time.

The day after, the night before!
Going forward what Pools need is stability, both on and off the pitch.
JA must be persuaded to stay in post and given the opportunity to build his own squad.
Raj mustn't be discouraged by the negativity of factions of the "supporters " who wish to blame him for relegation to the extent that he decides to sell up!

The squad obviously needs major overhaul, and this might prove difficult, but having a proper close season of recruitment and a "preseason campaign " with a full squad could be vital to be being competitive in the NL.

[QUOTE="Old Poolie,
The squad obviously needs major overhaul, .[/QUOTE]

The weird thing is, as someone on another board pointed out, we scored more goals this season than half the other teams in the league. Hopefully we're not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The day after, the night before!
Going forward what Pools need is stability, both on and off the pitch.
JA must be persuaded to stay in post and given the opportunity to build his own squad.
Raj mustn't be discouraged by the negativity of factions of the "supporters " who wish to blame him for relegation to the extent that he decides to sell up!

The squad obviously needs major overhaul, and this might prove difficult, but having a proper close season of recruitment and a "preseason campaign " with a full squad could be vital to be being competitive in the NL.

A serious rebuild is obviously required. Some of our better players will leave this summer, I'm thinking Umerah, Sylla and Sterry. We will also be saddled with some players who will most likely never play for us again but are on two year contracts, I believe Hastie is one and there are others. Maybe they can be paid off but a lot depends on what we have left after paying the wages of a very large squad after the transfer window shut. It is all very depressing but we all saw it coming when we lost at Crewe and and at home to Colchester and Newport. Askey gave us hope but the task was just too much. The future? Who knows because there are a lot of unknowns.

We have an enormous squad many (most?) of whom are pretty useless even at NL standard and will still be under contract so room for improvement must be limited.
I've always said at this level the manager is more important than individual players and I can't make up my mind about Arthur Askey. He seemed to have a good effect early on but then lost it. Most significantly if he couldn't get the players to perform against Crawley when the future depended on it is he actually any good ? But anybody else - literally anybody - would be a big risk so go with him ??

Askey does have significant NL experience and got Macclesfield promoted on a shoe string. He was doing well with York this season till he had a bust up with the chairman. Of course you never know, but my gut feeling is that he would be a good choice of gaffer to make Pools competitive next season. Not suggesting we would necessarily go up at the first time of asking but I think under Askey there would be no repeat of Pools first season in the NL when we were flirting with relegation at one point.

I just think that Askey has seen the existing squad and must have identified those who aren't going to be able to compete in NL, plus should know players who he could bring in to strengthen the squad.

If JA leaves then recruiting a replacement will take time, effectively a repeat of the beginning of this season, which will put recruitment and the process of squad building behind our competitors.

Time will tell.

Relegation I can accept but to give it up like that makes me **********

It must make you think what has happened between the Stevenage and Newport games!
Askey comes in, steadies the ship, we take points from games we should have got nothing other than a hiding from, by the current top 3 in particular. Go on to beat Grimsby and Swindon, again sides who would have torn Hartley’s Pools a new one.
Then games we should have taken points from we absolutely go to pieces and revert to type ala Hartley’s Pools side, Newport, expected a point. Salford got what we expected but Crawley! What was it that caused that debacle?
How do we go from drawing with Northampton at our place to getting a point at Bradford onto holding the champions elect to share the points then beating Swindon at home and Grimsby away to all of a sudden losing at home to a side who came to the vic with one win away from home all season previously?
It doesn’t add up, “something had to break the window, something had to hit the stereo“ . We have to figure out what that something was as it played a huge part in us giving up our football league status.