Starting XI v Oxford United? | Vital Football

Starting XI v Oxford United?

If we are going to play Hopper we need to give him some support.
I would be tempted to go 442.
Rushworth
Eyoma, Poole, O'connor Robson
Garrick Sanders Sorensen House
Hopper Kendall
Don't think Eyoma is worth his place at the moment but don't think we have anyone else to play right back.
With Mandriou not on bench on Saturday can't see him starting but could be on the bench.
But gives us plenty of other options on the bench.

If Jackson and Mandriou are fit, I'd be tempted to move Poole to RB and go:-

Rushworth
Poole Jackson O'Connor Robson
Sorensen Sanders Mandriou
Garrick Hopper Scully

otherwise:-

Rushworth
Eyoma Poole O'Connor Robson
Sorensen Sanders Bishop
Garrick Hopper Scully

Have to take into account how the players may or may not have recovered after the heat on Saturday.

Suspect there will be a few changes.

As mentioned on the FGR match thread, Hopper was blowing after half an hour, so to be withdrawn in the 86th minute must’ve taken it out of him.

With Garrick now an option for RWB, I’d be tempted to go 3-5-2 and put Eyoma in his more natural position.

Rushworth

Eyoma - O’Connor - Poole

Garrick - Sanders - Sorensen - Bishop - Robson

House - Kendall.

I think it'll be the same system tbh. Although know predict vs say who you'd like is a different...

IF MK didn't want to play Kendall against a weak FGR side, I can't see him playing him against Oxford; just get the feeling Moore and Findlay would have him for supper. Mousinho would be different, though.

IF MK didn't want to play Kendall against a weak FGR side, I can't see him playing him against Oxford; just get the feeling Moore and Findlay would have him for supper. Mousinho would be different, though.
Well they would if we play the ‘hoof it up to Hopper and hope we get a free kick’ style of game plan or we could adapt and play to a players strengths or why did we bother to sign a natural goal scorer who never stops running the channels, looks to run in behind and never stops harrying defenders. I know it was only Donny but Rushworth didn’t hoof it up the middle once that I remember.

Well they would if we play the ‘hoof it up to Hopper and hope we get a free kick’ style of game plan or we could adapt and play to a players strengths or why did we bother to sign a natural goal scorer who never stops running the channels, looks to run in behind and never stops harrying defenders. I know it was only Donny but Rushworth didn’t hoof it up the middle once that I remember.

I think Kendall will begin to feature. This would add a player with goal scoring instincts which you are quite rightly keen on.

The question is what you lose.

Oxford away last year( where we had Scully and Bishop playing furthest forward) was a disaster. We couldn't keep hold of the ball.

Your image is of us pouring forward with Kendall running onto goal scoring chances.

The reality if we get it wrong, would be of Kendall stuck on the halfway line looking at the opposition pouring forward.

The aim must be to create a side good enough to be able to use Kendall effectively.

I think MA said on a number of occasions Kendall would score goals if we could get the ball to him in the right positions. But getting it to him would be the hard bit.

It's a conundrum we need to try to solve.
If the rest of the team gel and Kendall develops his game, the argument against starting Kendall should diminish.

He is certainly worth a go if we go behind. My hunch is he will get some sub appearances fairly soon and we will see what he can do.

Last edited:
I think Kendall will begin to feature. This would add a player with goal scoring instincts which you are quite rightly keen on.

The question is what you lose.

Oxford away last year( where we had Scully and Bishop playing furthest forward) was a disaster. We couldn't keep hold of the ball.

Your image is of us pouring forward with Kendall running onto goal scoring chances.

The reality if we get it wrong, would be of Kendall stuck on the halfway line looking at the opposition pouring forward.

The aim must be to create a side good enough to be able to use Kendall effectively.

I think MA said on a number of occasions Kendall would score goals if we could get the ball to him in the right positions. But getting it to him would be the hard bit.

It's a conundrum we need to try and solve.
If the rest of the team gel and Kendall develops his gave, the argument against starting Kendall should diminish.

He is certainly worth a go if we go behind. My hunch is he will get some sub appearances fairly soon and we will see what he can do.
Must admit don’t remember Appleton talking about Kendall much if at all. But he has stepped up 3 leagues so further than us to the Premiership, maybe up to the Champions League

Rushworth
Eyoma Poole O'Connor Robson
Bishop Sørensen Sanders
Garrick Hopper Scully

Wright, Jackson, Roughan, Vernam, House, Maguire, Kendall

Wasn’t it 10 days ago that mandroiu needed 7 days training before being considered. Looking forward to seeing him on the bench.