Stanley: the problem or the solution? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Stanley: the problem or the solution?

Sheridan in his post match interview after the Stevenage draw said that he would sort out the problems and so far he is being true to his word. He also said after the Yeovil defeat that in the past, he has often played different players away from gone than at home. He is certainly starting to find players and formations that are working away. There's no reason to get carried away yet but it doesn't half feel a lot more positive than last season did. Grimsby will bring a good following after their big win today and I hope a few more Notts fans will turn up on Saturday because this team and manager deserve the support.

Elite_pie - 27/8/2016 01:15

SolSigns - 27/8/2016 19:42

Elite_pie - 26/8/2016 23:37

it could be a very interesting season.

GROAN! Excellent result today, but in my experience Notts' season always goes t!ts up as soon as someone has enough Worthington to dare hope...

Still, I'm "hoping" this season is the exception, but last season took a lot of wind out of everyone's sails.

Be fair Sol, I did say 'if' and 'could'! I am usually Mr Negative where Notts predictions are concerned (years of experience), but Sheridan is the first manager I've had a bit of confidence in for a long time.

Qualifications noted Elite, not having a pop at you personally obviously, just reminding myself to keep a level head this season after a few particularly depressing years. Thought Mark Cooper could've been good for Notts, but am much happier with JS as it turns out.

I only asked this question 12 days ago but I am already starting to think that we appear to be a better side without Stanley in the starting 11. Again, he saw lots of the ball yesterday but often had to go sideways rather than forwards. Whether or not this is because his teammates don't make the right runs or because he isn't able to produce a defence splitting ball, it isn't currently working.

We have lots of competition for places in the midfield and this will further intensify when Curtis Thompson returns from injury. I think JS had already decided that Aborah doesn't fit into our plans away from home and unless he begins to make a greater impact, I think his days in the starting 11 at home could soon be numbered too.

runner_pie - 4/9/2016 08:02

I only asked this question 12 days ago but I am already starting to think that we appear to be a better side without Stanley in the starting 11. Again, he saw lots of the ball yesterday but often had to go sideways rather than forwards. Whether or not this is because his teammates don't make the right runs or because he isn't able to produce a defence splitting ball, it isn't currently working.

We have lots of competition for places in the midfield and this will further intensify when Curtis Thompson returns from injury. I think JS had already decided that Aborah doesn't fit into our plans away from home and unless he begins to make a greater impact, I think his days in the starting 11 at home could soon be numbered too.

Teammates static and sideways passing, both are the problem. We need wingers/wide players to move forward as well.

After last Saturday's game, I was starting to come to the conclusion that we are better off without Stanley in the side but having listened to today's performance, it sounded like the midfield, without him, were very poor. So the dilemma continues: to Stanley or not? I would be interested in the views of anybody who went today as I'm no nearer to knowing the answer.

runner_pie - 10/9/2016 18:17
So the dilemma continues: to Stanley or not? I would be interested in the views of anybody who went today as I'm no nearer to knowing the answer.

I don't think Stanley would have made a difference against Stanley (had to get that one in). We desperately need a physical presence in midfield, an 'ugly' ball winning type who stop the opposition playing. I'm almost (but not quite) having fond memories of the likes of Matt Somner and Gary Silk! It was just so easy for Accy, when they had the ball they had time and space to pick a pass, when we had the ball they were on us in a flash. A really depressing performance today, because we seem to be right back to square one.

Dreadful. Third time I've seen us this season and apart from the last twenty minutes against Grimsby we've been slow and flat all season.
Stanley isn't the answer unless we go for the five in midfield. Not sure what the answer is as the loan windows shut and Curtis ,( who should walk into this team ) isn't fit.

There was no midfield movement and frequently the strikers wanted a pass over the defence and the ball went sideways then back. No one could make a telling pass and we invited them to attack.
We need a central spine and some bite. Even Smith offers that.
We are missing a box to box midfielder. Knock backs in the penalty area and no one there from midfield to capitalise.

Aborah should have come on, not Campbell.

Curtis Thompson is supposed to be a couple of weeks away. We could certainly do with the drive that he always tries to give us. If only we could find another Paul Harding (one of my all time favourite players) Boy did he give us some bite in midfield.

Funny you should mention Willie Carlin. He was before my time but I was only reading an article about his time at Derby about a week ago. Although he is a name that my dad has mentioned to me many times, I didn't realise he had played at such a high level.

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/willie-carlin-s-big-impact-at-derby-county-and-how-brian-clough-signed-him/story-29680431-detail/story.html

Could Jordan Richards be the missing piece of the jigsaw? It certainly sounded like he added some bite when he came on yesterday.