Stanley: the problem or the solution? | Vital Football

Stanley: the problem or the solution?

runner_pie

Vital Reserves Team
Stanley Aborah is a favourite among many fans and yet others don't believe he brings enough to the team to warrant a place. John Sheridan was quick to identify a more advanced role for him when he came into the club in the Summer and he has started nearly every game so far. I think it would be fair to say that while he has seen plenty of possession when he has been on the pitch, he hasn't set the world alight so far.

So where do you sit on the Stanley debate? I would stick with him in the advanced midfield role for now as the team appear to be showing signs of improvement and are still getting used to how JS wants them to play and getting used to many new faces. Hopefully, he will prove pivotal to our success but if this doesn't end up being the case, we may well have to consider a new approach.

He was a luxury last season that we couldn't afford to play in a deep midfield role. Too many times oppo players would stroll past him or he would commit silly fouls in dangerous areas.

I like the sound of him further upfield (I haven't seen any matches this season) and hopefully he can carve out some defence splitting passes going forward.

We don't need to build around him just get him to play the way JS wants. The talent is obviously there.

That's a tremendous question that really deserves a wider audience. At the end of last season I would have gone for a 'get rid asap' option on the basis that he invariably looked good in an artistic sense, but actually did very little of note. Now Sheridan has moved him to the more advanced role, he might be useful. It needs a couple of tough ball winning midfielders to compensate for his lightweight persona, but we do need creativity and he is as likely to provide it as the other options like Campbell and Burke. He still needs to show more in my opinion, but I'm tempted to stick with him this season in the hope he comes good.

i'm biased, I like Stanley but he needs to produce killer passes more often, providing team mates stop playing like statues.

I've seen exactly one game of Stan's in the flesh - Plymouth - and I thought he looked like "the player most likely to do something game-changingly brilliant" even though he didn't on the day. My vote is to work out how to play to his strengths and defo keep in the team for now.

That's actually a really good point SolSigns (great to have you back by the way). What you saw against Plymouth certainly isn't unusual as there are many times where Stan has possession and is holding on to the ball waiting for a team mate to make a good run but it doesn't happen. Opposition teams sometimes double up on him when he is in possession which in theory should create more room for some of our other players. You can tell that he gets frustrated at times; he would probably be much more effective playing in a better side in a higher league.

Thanks, runner. I'm here and hereabouts, but not much time to post right now - keep thinking about writing up our experiences of returning to the lane after the best part of 20 years, but keep getting distracted.

Thought that a few times Forte found space down the left in the second half, but Stan zig-zagged and choice a cross field ball, that might be the kind of link-up Sheridan could exploit.

That must have been a bit surreal going back after all those years. Would love to hear your thoughts if you get the time to post them.

We had five kids with us so went in the family end last week - as far as I remember there weren't any seats at all there last time I was at Notts!

That was a good few years ago SolSigns. I think we last had the small terrace at that end the year we were in the old First Division with Neil Warnock.

Hey Runner, definitely surreal! There was no queue at the tea bar which had a selection of Pukka pies, and the steward on our block wished us a friendly good night as we left!

I may have misremembered the timing of the family stand! Last game I saw at Notts was definitely 1999, and although I can't exactly recall the game, it would have been from main stand near the half way line. My overriding memory of the Meadow Lane end though was as terraces way back when, and then as a building site with a brick wall behind it for what seemed like years.

What I can say for sure was that we had an awful view of Jon Stead's goal against Plymouth, and a 20-20 crystal vision of both of Plymouth's goals! (Both, the second for sure, entirely preventable). The result or performance never even threatened to overshadow a quite brilliant family occasion though - I'm very glad to say! UPIES!

That's a shame that you couldn't see Stead's goal very well because it was a great goal. I'm really glad you enjoyed your return and I hope it won't be so long before you're back again next time.

Well, Sheridans dropped him in the end. His lack of mobility especially when playing away makes it hard for the midfield to help the defence. Today's midfield is a harder running team.

uysapie - 27/8/2016 16:23

Away formation?

You could be right. I remember Keith Curle had the away formation spot on, but it never worked at home. If Sheridan can get things right at Meadow Lane it could be a very interesting season.

Elite_pie - 26/8/2016 23:37

it could be a very interesting season.

GROAN! Excellent result today, but in my experience Notts' season always goes t!ts up as soon as someone has enough Worthington to dare hope...

Still, I'm "hoping" this season is the exception, but last season took a lot of wind out of everyone's sails.

SolSigns - 27/8/2016 19:42

Elite_pie - 26/8/2016 23:37

it could be a very interesting season.

GROAN! Excellent result today, but in my experience Notts' season always goes t!ts up as soon as someone has enough Worthington to dare hope...

Still, I'm "hoping" this season is the exception, but last season took a lot of wind out of everyone's sails.

Be fair Sol, I did say 'if' and 'could'! I am usually Mr Negative where Notts predictions are concerned (years of experience), but Sheridan is the first manager I've had a bit of confidence in for a long time.