Standing | Vital Football

Standing

RaysaBlade

Vital Squad Member
Saying on BBC news site,
Government going to allow standing at certain grounds
If us
What percentage do you think they would allow?
And where would they be able to stand
All the kop??
Me being an old codger, happy to sit now

Saying on BBC news site,
Government going to allow standing at certain grounds
If us
What percentage do you think they would allow?
And where would they be able to stand
All the kop??
Me being an old codger, happy to sit now
If it’s the safe standing I wouldn’t bother this was a constant topic when I used to attend meetings with the club I think John Garrett quoted you lose at least 25% of your capacity transferring to safe standing

Was a big proponent of this for quite a while but now think that as it is, it will do nothing to improve things.

It will only force more sitting down in the non standing areas and that will prove to be ridiculous, difficult to enforce, inconsistently enforced and downright pathetic in the end.

If it meant a larger percentage would be forced to stand then our fans would be devastated. Only about 10 rows of the Kop are interested in standing - it's absolutely pitiful.

But, if more were standing, in the right place at least, it would improve the atmosphere. I'm just not sure the overall cost would be worth it. Especially if they insist on doing it in a way that reduces capacity - that is hideously unnecessary.

If they're going to do this then all they need to do is designate the standing area/areas. No need to convert the current seats in any way, other than perhaps to install a simple rail along the row. The pretending about the 'safe' part of it all is absolute bollocks.

Standing on the kop at BDTBL especially a neight match is a memory I cherish........ TC knocked one in at the kop end then blowing kisses.....the noise cud be heard at Manor Top ..... and yer finished 20 yards from where yer were stood !

We can forget all about this as you need a licence from the relevant council and there’s no way Sheffield would give either club one after what happened on their patch they are known for being over zealous regarding crowd safety (after the horse has bolted you could say)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58357046

Standing at football matches is nostalgic, sentimental and long since passed, along with rattles, the smoke from Woodbines and lobbing the Izal onto the pitch. Give it up.

Standing at football matches is nostalgic, sentimental and long since passed, along with rattles, the smoke from Woodbines and lobbing the Izal onto the pitch. Give it up.

Yes, I much prefer sitting with vegan snowflakes who appeared when we went up to the Prem. No idea about any songs and obviously get mortally offended when I start a rousing rendition of "Your gonna get your f ucking heads kicked in" when the opposition inevitably score. Cressida and Tarquin make little Toby and Moonlight wear ear defenders and focus on their algae pick n mix.
I fucking miss those happy days of night matches under the lights. The constant flickering of matches and lighters as opposed to fucking mobile phones. The smell of smoke, swaying crowds, scarves round wrists, Bovril at half time. The bloke walking round putting the half time scores up on the cricket side. Motor cars driving round pitch side and blue invalid carriages parked up at the corner of Cherry Street and Bramall Lane by the corner flag.
Limme and Family Cookin', Ilkley Moor Bhat at, Lynn Anderson banging out pre kick off and the beautiful aesthetic of the parabolic curve created by the streams of gracefully unravelling shithouse paper and knicked bus ticket rolls arcing from the kop onto the pitch.

For most supporters it is absolutely 'sing when we're winning'. And usually there's not even much of that.

But when we're not winning....... good luck experiencing anything but a library atmosphere without those who are stood up.

Our big problem is those who are stood up are so far back, at the back of the Kop, spread far apart, and only about 10 rows bother to. The rest of the Kop never even threatens to be stood up, because the Kop is at a stupidly unsuitable angle to do so. If anyone taller is in front, you can hardly see. The whole thing needs rebuilding properly. Could have been. But we spent the money on Brewster and Berge instead.

We could try bringing 'safe' standing onto the Kop but the whole thing would still be sub optimal.

We had an opportunity to sort the ground out but I guess that's being put on hold for another 20 years. On and on and on......

Yes, I much prefer sitting with vegan snowflakes who appeared when we went up to the Prem. No idea about any songs and obviously get mortally offended when I start a rousing rendition of "Your gonna get your f ucking heads kicked in" when the opposition inevitably score. Cressida and Tarquin make little Toby and Moonlight wear ear defenders and focus on their algae pick n mix.
I fucking miss those happy days of night matches under the lights. The constant flickering of matches and lighters as opposed to fucking mobile phones. The smell of smoke, swaying crowds, scarves round wrists, Bovril at half time. The bloke walking round putting the half time scores up on the cricket side. Motor cars driving round pitch side and blue invalid carriages parked up at the corner of Cherry Street and Bramall Lane by the corner flag.
Limme and Family Cookin', Ilkley Moor Bhat at, Lynn Anderson banging out pre kick off and the beautiful aesthetic of the parabolic curve created by the streams of gracefully unravelling shithouse paper and knicked bus ticket rolls arcing from the kop onto the pitch.

It hasn't been like that for at least 30 years, and it isn't going to be like that again.

Its just nostalgia...

We had an opportunity to sort the ground out but I guess that's being put on hold for another 20 years. On and on and on......

And as the bulldozers rolled in, someone on a football forum would be berating the owners for not spending the money on a striker and a midfielder...