Stan collymore - get well soon | Vital Football

Stan collymore - get well soon

the jock

Vital Football Legend
Stan is currently struggling with crippling anxiety - which he says stems from seeing his dad beat his mother when he was young and never saw his father again. He says he never developed coping skills as he was overprotected by his mother because he was "a brown boy" . Also remember a story that he was locked in a coal bunker when he was 6 because "he belonged in there"

Rejection and abandonment.

Whatever you think of the man - I hope he gets through it. He was the best striker I ever saw for us and clearly didn't have an easy childhood

Best of luck getting through it Stan! I hope he can.

Its also worth reading this about Jesse Lingard that came out today:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...really-knew-about-my-struggles-were-all-human
I think there's going to be a documentary in December about Jesse and mental health.

I think the Lingard doc is on tonight on All 4. I believe his mother has had a lifetime of severe mental health problems, there was some kind of intervention three years ago which meant he became the caregiver and ultimately guardian for his younger siblings. Started hitting the bottle and his form dipped. There’s always a lot going on in the background when some players lose form. I’d imagine Dele Alli will have an interesting story to tell at some point. I seem to remember he had a similar legal arrangement with his siblings

I think the Lingard doc is on tonight on All 4. I believe his mother has had a lifetime of severe mental health problems, there was some kind of intervention three years ago which meant he became the caregiver and ultimately guardian for his younger siblings. Started hitting the bottle and his form dipped. There’s always a lot going on in the background when some players lose form. I’d imagine Dele Alli will have an interesting story to tell at some point. I seem to remember he had a similar legal arrangement with his siblings
If anything it makes the outbursts on Talksport etc. this Summer seem even more despicable.

It just shows how abuse of players by fans can add to their mental anguish. None of us know what is going on in players lives, and yet fans feel justified in calling out & abusing players because they are having a rough time on the pitch helping to maintain the downward spiral. I hope Steve Cooper & his staff have been able to offer the help & support that jesse Lingard needs.

1 IN 3 people suffer some form of depression at some time in their lives.
It has only been taken seriously as a condition in the last 20 years.
It has taken a long time for it to be part of the disability act. The problem being, you can see a broken leg, but a mental health issue is easily hidden.

1 IN 3 people suffer some form of depression at some time in their lives.
It has only been taken seriously as a condition in the last 20 years.
It has taken a long time for it to be part of the disability act. The problem being, you can see a broken leg, but a mental health issue is easily hidden.

Well said chap. Suffered with this spectre myself intermittently over the years, more so in the last few.

Thankfully in a great place now, which was mostly down to some very understanding people and being able to get the right help. It's such a sad juxtaposition of seeing mental health finally being recognised and discussed openly in this country, but at the same time having such woeful support provision at the point of access.