St Thommo day | Vital Football

St Thommo day

Nobby_66

Vital Football Hero
If the other day was St Andy day, today must be worth celebrating.

18 years ago? WTF happened with all that time?

A day that we’ll never forget, and righted many of the wrongs of 1999. That era does put things into perspective for me - we had some of our greatest ever players (Hess, Smith, Southall, Asaba, SBT) and only just scraped through via the Play Offs (of course, we probably would have won the league had we had SBT all season 99/00). Maybe we need to be more realistic with our current bunch.

If you look at just 3 of those players, Hess, Asaba, SBT we paid a total of £1.325 m.
There seems little chance of that happening again.

If you look at just 3 of those players, Hess, Asaba, SBT we paid a total of £1.325 m.
There seems little chance of that happening again.

But the steal of 99/00 was signing Iffy back with the bonus of Ty Gooden from the Swine for £100k the pair. We also signed Steve Butler for about the same figure.

Not sure that we would have won the league with SBT that year as we didn't the previous year when he played the whole season. Unless Taylor replacing Pulis would have been the reason.:hmmm:

Just the way he was scoring goals would have given us the extra points needed to win the league in my opinion. Though we’ll never find out.

I think bringing in Iffy (and Gooden, of course) was a good move but only to fill a bit of the void left by SBT leaving and Asaba being injured a lot. I do feel we were a better team in 99/00 than 98/99, despite no real change in personnel.

Also, did we pay for Butler second time around? I think we paid £100k ish in 1995 but not in 1999, thought he came to join as a player coach, but not entirely sure.

What a day that was. Super Thommo, never been back since. I think they did invite him back when they had that season of legends appearing before every game, but it never happened.
Btw we took over 40,000 to Wembley that day, and I noticed that there was only 32,000 in total for the Roth/Shrews game this weekend.