Squad Rotation | Vital Football

Squad Rotation

Imps2018

Vital 1st Team Regular
I think it’s fair to say the squad hasn’t been rotated as much as expected pre-season.

Has this led to relaxed performances from those playing?

Do changes in cup competitions create the same competitive atmosphere as changes in league games?

The team is doing fantastically well. I just believe we could be doing better and perhaps we’re taking ‘walking the league’ too literally. I trust the Cowley’s 500% but i’d just rather score earlier and win by the many, not just the few.

Do we need more league rotation?

I think it’s fair to say the squad hasn’t been rotated as much as expected pre-season.

Has this led to relaxed performances from those playing?

Do changes in cup competitions create the same competitive atmosphere as changes in league games?

The team is doing fantastically well. I just believe we could be doing better and perhaps we’re taking ‘walking the league’ too literally. I trust the Cowley’s 500% but i’d just rather score earlier and win by the many, not just the few.

Do we need more league rotation?
No, I tend to believe the people employed to select the team and have all the knowledge and information are making the right decisions. May not make much of a thread but is there we go.

No, I tend to believe the people employed to select the team and have all the knowledge and information are making the right decisions. May not make much of a thread but is there we go.
Perhaps in a Sutton or Tilson era it may be a more pertinent question.

I still think it’s a valid question though.

On the other hand there were those earlier in the season who were accusing Danny Cowley of being 'Tinkerman'.

Perhaps in a Sutton or Tilson era it may be a more pertinent question.

I still think it’s a valid question though.
Yes, it’s fair to consider squad rotation. All I was saying was, I’m sure the Cowley’s will already know the answer, before we’ve realised the question need asking. I do n’t know who needs a rest and who does n’t but they will. It’s also a skill to know your best team. Sometimes your best team does n’t play well but it does n’t mean they are n’t the team that give you the best chance to win the next game.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s fair to consider squad rotation. All I was saying was, I’m sure the Cowley’s will already know the answer, before we’ve realised the question need asking. I do n’t know who needs a rest and who does n’t but they will. It’s also a skill to know your best team. Sometimes your best team does n’t play well but it does n’t mean they are n’t the team that give you the best chance to win the next game.
Fair point. There’s much more info on the inside than the outside (hopefully, or we’re much better than anyone thought).

How do you see rotation in checkatrdade?

Undoubtedly the Cowley’s would be some of the most interesting dinner guests to have.

Personally if a team is winning and players are fit you don't change team. Wolves down the road from me have selected the same starting 11 for seven games and are doing brilliantly in the Premier. The same can be said of us. Will that still be the case come January when pitches are heavier. Probably not but at the moment I would not be tinkering with the selection

Fair point. There’s much more info on the inside than the outside (hopefully, or we’re much better than anyone thought).

How do you see rotation in checkatrdade?

Undoubtedly the Cowley’s would be some of the most interesting dinner guests to have.

Think the next in line, Green, Rhead, Wharton , Wilson, Chapman and Mensah will play. If we really want to progress in the competition, which we should I’d sprinkle a few of the first choice in. Again it’s a difficult one, which is why I am happy to leave it to the professionals!

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves we have a good team, and good squad. But we aren’t a Man City or Barcelona in our respective league.

We have no devine right to steam roller teams and not that good that we feel this should be happening. We are definitely still a working progress, but let’s not forget it’s nearly mid October and we are 4pts clear at the top. Would we have took that preseason?

I’d quite like to see the 3-5-2 get another go at some point... if only as a Plan B when things are not quite clicking. Personally thought Tranmere on Tuesday was maybe a good time to bring that out. Nice to see a formation tweak today was able to bring us a bit more of an edge and a way into winning the game.

I really do not know the answer to that question. One thing we do know is the club has detailed stats on each player's fitness due to the data vests they wear during training and games. Therefore they know for sure when any player is starting to tail off in terms of energy, not just from perception.

But as I posted on another thread a few days ago, seven of the record-breaking 2016-17 squad made at least 50 appearances and a further three players made at least 45. Although they looked dead on their feet, that team won seven in a row to take the title. So who knows what is the best approach?

it is less tiring when you are winning and top of the league. also, drop out of this current first 11 and you might not get back in for weeks - as wharton and green have experienced. i am sure that focuses the effort.

Tbh, I thought we tinkered too much earlier in the season so I've been quite pleased to see it settle down.

Of course, in Cowley teams, it's generally the wide players we see rotated more than anyone else but aside from Mensah, options there are a little limited unless you put Green out there.

Do you think being dropped for a checkatrade match has the same impact as being dropped for a league match?

To me definitely not.

Nope, but I can't say I've noticed any complacency from any players. They've all been fairly consistent.

Tbh, I thought we tinkered too much earlier in the season so I've been quite pleased to see it settle down.

Of course, in Cowley teams, it's generally the wide players we see rotated more than anyone else but aside from Mensah, options there are a little limited unless you put Green out there.

You're forgetting Gordon, who prefers playing right wing and looked like a possible shoo-in for Harry, if he's injured or fatigued, when we played Stags in the Checkatrade.

Don't forget that Luque can play in the Checkatrade for us, despite being on loan at Bromley.

Edit, and they don't have a game on Tuesday so might we see him turn out for the Imps?

Last edited:
after another month of intensive cowley training, hoping to see crookes, mensah, gordon, chapman (+ luque?) all a bit sharper than the mansfield game.

after another month of intensive cowley training, hoping to see crookes, mensah, gordon, chapman (+ luque?) all a bit sharper than the mansfield game.

I don't think Luque's even getting much game time at Bromley. He's played 120 minutes in the 4 games (1 start) since joining and didn't get off the bench on Saturday.