Squad for next season. | Vital Football

Squad for next season.

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
Now that we've finally got the ownership nightmare out of the way we can actually talk about football again!

So here's the current senior squad:

Amos
Jones (contract offer)
Tickle

Pearce
McClean
Robinson

Whatmough
Hughes
Tilt
Kerr

Naylor
Power (contract offer)
Shinnie
McGrath

Lang
Aasgaard
Scully
Keane
Jones

Humphrys
Wyke
Magennis

Based on what we saw from Maloney last season and the need to cut the wage bill I think we'll probably look to move on about half of them (guessing Amos, Tilt, Robinson, Pearce, Naylor, Shinnie, Scully, Jones, Wyke, Magennis). Then replace anyone who goes with a player more suited to Maloney's ideas.

I think we'll give a lot of the young players a chance in preseason to try and step up. I think Adeeko from what I've seen is the most likely to break into the side but the rest I'm not sure.

I think Kelly will probably be brought back and it wouldn't shock me if we looked at Rekik again. But I'm not sure we'll look to bring back any of the other loanees.

What does everyone else think, who do we think Maloney will keep and who he wants to go?

I might be sounding way too ambitious & over the top here, especially after the trauma we have all been through. But would £800k be too much to bring back Tiehe 🤔

I think Shinnie (sadly) is definitely a gonna. Tilt is a very good back up for L1. Power is proven at this level as his Naylor. I also think Magennis could thrive under Maloney's style of play.

If we can offload some of our higher earners, then great. But if truth be told, I can't see many clubs coming in for them. I think this season will be a case of making do with what we've got & adding a few additions whether from the youth team, freebies, loans or reasonably priced signings.

That squad of players on the list above could easily hold their own in L1 even with a -8
(or -12) deduction.

I might be sounding way too ambitious & over the top here, especially after the trauma we have all been through. But would £800k be too much to bring back Tiehe 🤔

I suspect Maloney and Rioch would love him back and will be given a total budget for wages and transfer fees and then left to manage that as they see fit. Depending on the size of their budget they may think the 800k fee + wages required might be better spread out recruiting multiple players. As 800k in L1 his huge money.

Also it's not clear if the 800k fee is still valid as we went down and we haven't triggered it yet. So his club may now be asking for a higher fee or other clubs showing an interest.

I think Shinnie (sadly) is definitely a gonna. Tilt is a very good back up for L1. Power is proven at this level as his Naylor. I also think Magennis could thrive under Maloney's style of play.

If we can offload some of our higher earners, then great. But if truth be told, I can't see many clubs coming in for them. I think this season will be a case of making do with what we've got & adding a few additions whether from the youth team, freebies, loans or reasonably priced signings.

That squad of players on the list above could easily hold their own in L1 even with a -8
(or -12) deduction.

I don't think Magennis will ever thrive for us to be honest, he only has a good game once every blue moon. But he is currently out injured and with his age and large salary i think it's going to be hard if Maloney wanted to move him on. Wyke is going to be in a similar category, with his fitness issues and wages i think both of those may end up staying by default regardless of anything else.

Tilt and Naylor are very good L1 players that i personally would have no issue keeping but i think based on last seasons team selections they aren't Maloney's type of player and I expect both will be allowed to move on. I suspect Tilt will have plenty of L1 clubs interested and will want a fresh start while Naylor could end up back home at Mansfield after he nearly went there last time.

Maloney has stated his appreciation for Power so i think he'll be very keen to get him to renew and i hope he does. And Nixon previously reported that Maloney wanted to keep McGrath so that could be our new look centre midfield next season.

I think a good attacking right wing back has to be the priority and probably a proper natural target man is something we could really use as the ones we have aren't that reliable.

Would like to see Power stay.

He didn't have a great season but don't think that all the stick he got was justified and think he could do a job at L1 level for us

What we can’t do if offer players like Power 3 year deals. If he will take a one year deal that’s fine.

He's going to turn 30 over the summer. So i doubt we'd offer 3 years and i imagine he'd want more than 1 - so maybe meet in the middle on 2 years. But also depends on how daft the previous wages we gave him were, as he might have to take a pay cut as the days of over paying should be gone.

But apparently Wrexham are interested and if they offer 3 years and good money he may be tempted even though it's in L2.

Yeah sensible wages, 2 year deal with an option for him to leave if we did happen to get promoted (unlikely as it is) as he's nowhere near a championship player so wouldn't play.

Wrexham wouldn't be a bad shout for him though. New challenge and couldn't blame him for wanting to go, had a dogs abuse from some this season and has nothing to prove with us, already a club legend.

I don't think Magennis will ever thrive for us to be honest, he only has a good game once every blue moon. But he is currently out injured and with his age and large salary i think it's going to be hard if Maloney wanted to move him on. Wyke is going to be in a similar category, with his fitness issues and wages i think both of those may end up staying by default regardless of anything else.

Tilt and Naylor are very good L1 players that i personally would have no issue keeping but i think based on last seasons team selections they aren't Maloney's type of player and I expect both will be allowed to move on. I suspect Tilt will have plenty of L1 clubs interested and will want a fresh start while Naylor could end up back home at Mansfield after he nearly went there last time.

Maloney has stated his appreciation for Power so i think he'll be very keen to get him to renew and i hope he does. And Nixon previously reported that Maloney wanted to keep McGrath so that could be our new look centre midfield next season.

I think a good attacking right wing back has to be the priority and probably a proper natural target man is something we could really use as the ones we have aren't that reliable.
I think Keane & Lang will be alright in L1, as they have proven to be already. Humphrys too if given suitable game time.

Yeah sensible wages, 2 year deal with an option for him to leave if we did happen to get promoted (unlikely as it is) as he's nowhere near a championship player so wouldn't play.

Wrexham wouldn't be a bad shout for him though. New challenge and couldn't blame him for wanting to go, had a dogs abuse from some this season and has nothing to prove with us, already a club legend.

The stick he got last season i thought was unfair. That's not to say he was playing great every week, but he seemed to get picked on when everyone around him was struggling just as much.

The one that really frustarted me personally was the defenders often didn't want to carry the ball out, so Power was the one who had to drop back and do that for them, then our right wing backs were so poor at attacking he had to go and play out there to crosses in to make up for them - Yet people were criticising him for not doing enough. For any faults Power had he was one of the only players who was taking on responsibility to try and make things happen often trying to cover 3 roles at once. He may not be Championship quality, but he wasn't the only one, but he never hid and some of his team mates can't say that.

I think we'll give a lot of the young players a chance in preseason to try and step up. I think Adeeko from what I've seen is the most likely to break into the side but the rest I'm not sure.

Have to think Scott Smith will be given an opportunity to cement a place in the senior squad. He's 22.5 years old. This will certainly be a critical season for his future.

Carragher, McHugh, Sze, Stones and maybe Chentouf seem capable of breaking through too.

The stick he got last season i thought was unfair. That's not to say he was playing great every week, but he seemed to get picked on when everyone around him was struggling just as much.

The one that really frustarted me personally was the defenders often didn't want to carry the ball out, so Power was the one who had to drop back and do that for them, then our right wing backs were so poor at attacking he had to go and play out there to crosses in to make up for them - Yet people were criticising him for not doing enough. For any faults Power had he was one of the only players who was taking on responsibility to try and make things happen often trying to cover 3 roles at once. He may not be Championship quality, but he wasn't the only one, but he never hid and some of his team mates can't say that.

Prescisely. Covered every blade of grass, never hid and got slated for pointing showing leadership and where he needed players to be to play the ball to or where they needed to be.

We all have different opinions on players, I’d like to see us move on from Max Power and Tom Naylor. I’m hoping we bring in midfielders who are more pacy and energetic, can offer a threat driving forwards and create things.

Both of them have a great attitude but I feel physically and technically they’re very limited players. Naylor is getting on now. We’ve seen enough of Power to know what he’s capable of. I can’t fault his attitude but I’d hope any signings we do make would be young and have the potential to step up a level in the future, something that we know that Power isn’t able to do.