Speaking your mind. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Speaking your mind.

TRUE BELIEVER - 11/2/2018 14:11

Grip! - 11/2/2018 14:04

You'll all be getting my opinions no matter what! Oh and i voted yes.

I also voted yes Grip and as I have said, I personally value your opinions, but that's what they are, opinions and I hope you value mine and other posters opinions if they differ from yours.

Opinions and facts tbf.

I've certainly called people mard on here .............. nowt wrong with that. It's when you make a term into a noun that makes it personal.

moonay - 11/2/2018 14:14

I suppose then that the opposite would be the term neanderthal ........ or knuckle dragger. We probably wouldn't use those terms, so shouldn't use snowflake.

That said, none of them is a particularly nasty insult ................. just descriptive of our behaviours ....... and opinions.

moonay are you seriously suggesting words like snowflake should be 'banned'?

truelatic4eva - 11/2/2018 14:18

No ........ I clearly didn't say that. Choosing not to use a word and having it banned are completely different.

I just said that we probably wouldn't use any of the opposite terms, so maybe we should choose not to use snowflake too.

Personally, I don't give a toss. I suppose I must be a knuckle dragger !

Edit - use & sue

I seem to remember you taking exception to the term "moron" which again could be termed as a reversal of "snowflake". The point is if we use these terms then others will escalate the insult, so it would be better not to use them. No ban necessary, just common courtesy to each other.

moonay - 11/2/2018 14:21

No ........ I clearly didn't say that. Choosing not to use a word and having it banned are completely different.

I just said that we probably wouldn't use any of the opposite terms, so maybe we should choose not to use snowflake too.

Edit - use & sue

Jesus moonay are we having to explain the precise nature of our edits now as well as employing proof readers before posting just to avoid having a corrective dig from other pedantic posters? Why can people not simply accept that typing and auto corrections do sometimes occur?

Come on TB. Moron is on another level completely. All the others mentioned are used to describe someone's opinion or behaviour. Moron is just a nasty insult. Cretin would be in the same context.

Fully agree with your closing sentence by the way.

Oscarbon - 11/2/2018 14:29
Jesus moonay are we having to explain the precise nature of our edits now as well as employing proof readers before posting just to avoid having a corrective dig from other pedantic posters? Why can people not simply accept that typing and auto corrections do sometimes occur?

It's just something I choose to do Oscar. I'm not suggesting that it should be mandatory ........ though in the past, posts have sometimes been significantly changed after the event.

TRUE BELIEVER - 11/2/2018 14:26

I seem to remember you taking exception to the term "moron" which again could be termed as a reversal of "snowflake". The point is if we use these terms then others will escalate the insult, so it would be better not to use them. No ban necessary, just common courtesy to each other.

Agreed.

Maybe it is a poor comparison Moonay, however it does illustrate the way things can be escalated.

Having just checked the dictionary definitions of both words, both are described as "a stupid person" however the term cretin also refers to "a person who is physically deformed and has learning difficulties because of a congenital thyroid deficiency" and is listed as a term of abuse, moron is an informal noun. In my opinion the term cretin would be a greater insult.

I don't see why not if used in the correct context. I have heard the term used by mothers when their child has done something foolish as a term of endearment. So if you use it correctly go ahead, its certainly more acceptable than "knobend".

My reply was to your enquiry about the use of "silly billy" which you have now edited.

Remember chaps ..... & chapesses ................ address the opinion, not the poster.
;o)

I presume you mean "shalln't"? I know it comes up with a red underline, but I thought that's how to spell it........it's an abbreviation of "shall not".

Should it be "shan't" ? That just looks wrong.

Oscarbon - 11/2/2018 14:29

moonay - 11/2/2018 14:21

Edit - use & sue

corect

edit. speling

moonay - 11/2/2018 15:01

I presume you mean "shalln't"? I know it comes up with a red underline, but I thought that's how to spell it........it's an abbreviation of "shall not".

Won't or will not would have done. :thubsup!:

moonay - 11/2/2018 15:01

Not entirely sure myself mate however when in doubt, I type "shall not". :-)