🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

🚹 Son Heung-Min - Player Thread

Actually was their 2nd match. Won the first one 6-0 vs Bahrain.

Just have to beat Kyrgyzstan on Monday to get into the round of 16. If they fail to do that, then they're sh|t.

From Wiki - "The Korea Football Association requested Bayer Leverkusen to allow Son to play in the 2014 Asian Games, as winning the gold medal at the tournament would grant Son exemption from military service. Despite Son affirming his interest and the KFA's efforts, his club at the time, Bayer Leverkusen, refused to release him, as his absence would mean the team would lose him for at least six matches"

Never realised that South Korea won the gold medal in the 2014 Asian Games and he missed out because of his club. They were also the hosts.

That sucks for him, as he could have had his MS exemption by now.

Hard to find much info on Asian Games fixtures online...

I know they're playing Iran tomorrow but I don't know when or who else made the knockouts that they're likely to struggle against... The whole majority under 23 thing throws world cup as a form indicator out the window.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2018_Asian_Games

Iran look to be the toughest team on there side of the draw. Beat them they should get to the final

Thanks Scott. That's exactly the kind of site I was looking for, everything coming up on google was near useless.

Japan are usually pretty decent and looked good at the WC. Judging by results so far Indonesia home advantage shouldn't be discounted either. Far from guaranteed he'll get gold

It's no different to the Olympics allowing 3 over age players. Don't see the problem myself - you just seem determined to ship him off to pointless army PR duties lol

It might not be any different but I don't agree with that either. England unders games means under, 16, 17, 18 whatever. I don't mind it with reserve games though as it's to an extent a training exercise.

It's called the Asian Games... not the Asian Under 23 games. Ditto the Olympics.

If anything it's unfair you're not allowed to name as many older players as you want. No one told Jamaica all their sprinters had to be under 23.

There must be a reason for the Olympics football tournament being under 23 as there is the Asian games.....so adhere to it and don't make a nonsense of it by playing overs.

There must be a reason for the Olympics football tournament being under 23 as there is the Asian games.....so adhere to it and don't make a nonsense of it by playing overs.

LOL - I'm thinking that these 3 over age players bring a bigger world-wide TV audience. So much for the Olympics representing the best athletes competing to see who's the quickest, strongest etc. Once the money men got involved, anything goes as long as there's a quick buck.

The U23 thing is just them pretending that they have a bunch of amateur sportsmen competing for a gold medal.

Anyway, good luck to Son tomorrow. I might see if I can tune in at 12-30pm.

I really don't understand your perspective. Do you have more loyalty to south Korea's army's misguided pr policy than you do Spurs?

I really don't understand your perspective. Do you have more loyalty to south Korea's army's misguided pr policy than you do Spurs?

FoF - not sure whether that question was aimed at me or NRD.

If anything is misguided, it's the Olympic Committee's denial that France aren't the best of the best and worthy gold medal winners and instead they hang medals around a bunch of U23's earning a stack of money as professional sportsmen. It contradicts their own values, but probably earns them a buck or two. That cascades to things like the Asian Games.

My opinion, but this is not a normal club vs country issue and definitely not about anyone's loyalty to Spurs. It's about THFC employing Son and providing him a contract to work knowing his country's requirements for National Service. He only signed his newest contract a month or so ago so all the cards were on the table.

At last a sensible unbiased opinion. My comments have nothing to do with loyalty. I would hope I can make an unbiased judgement on Spurs matters. I will test it next time there is a contentious decision on the pitch.

Son Heung-min hails young teammates for hard-fought win over Iran

2018/08/24 00:52
Article View Option
SNS Share
By Joo Kyung-don
CIKARANG, Indonesia, Aug. 23 (Yonhap) -- South Korean football forward Son Heung-min praised his teammates for collecting a 2-0 win over Iran in the men's football round of 16 match at the 18th Asian Games on Thursday.
South Korea reached the quarterfinals by beating Iran 2-0 at Wibawa Mutkit Stadium in Cikarang, east of Jakarta. Hwang Ui-jo and Lee Seung-woo scored a goal apiece to give the defending champions stay on track for gold medal hunt.
Son, who serves as the captain of the under-23 team, said he is proud of what his young teammates have done against Iran.
"My young teammates worked harder than me," Son said to reporters in the mixed zone. "We all know Iran are not an easy team. But I believed in our players."

The Tottenham Hotspur star is one of the wild card members for South Korea at the Asian Games. The continental event is open to the players aged 23 or under, but teams can field up to three players who are older than that.
Son said he always tries to motivate the team as captain and keep the players alert in the match, so that they can avoid a result like the shocking 2-1 defeat to Malaysia in the group stage.
"I told the players that we're going to a war, not a football match," he said. "I know I still have to improve as a captain, but they're still young players and sometimes I have to motivate them."

Son said it was confidence that made the difference compared to other matches.
"I think we're picking up confidence," he said. "As the players believe what they can do, they're starting to show their skills on the pitch."

South Korea will next face Uzbekistan, the winners of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) U-23 Championship in January, in the quarterfinals. Son said the players need to avoid making small mistakes.
"Small mistakes can make big differences," he said. "I think any of teams in the quarterfinals could bid to win the gold medal."

Son has been having a busy year -- he also played with the senior team at the 2018 FIFA World Cup. When asked about whether he feels tired from his hectic schedule, Son said he has no solution but to overcome the challenges.
"I have to show an example to the young players and I have to overcome it," he said. "It feels less tiring if you win a match. I'll just eat and sleep well to recover my stamina and prepare for the next match."