Social Media Black Out | Vital Football

Social Media Black Out

KennyKatona

Vital Youth Team
A very well done to the Blades and all those who are joining this protest. In todays society racism is completely unacceptable and I'm so proud of my club, and especially Didzy who has spoken well on this subject.

Just one question....if you are abused why do you read the insults every day?

Last edited:
I was once abused online a few years ago. I suggested that elite football clubs should use all the means at their disposal to ban their players from social media as it rarely if ever ended well even if it started out ok.

A section of people were totally outraged at the very idea of players losing their basic human rights to be swore at, taunted, abused and humiliated online. As far as they were concerned, stopping them using social media would be a far worse act than anything the trolls could throw at them and I was an uncaring thoughtless moron to even suggest it.

I do wonder sometimes.

The problem here isn't racism. Theres never been less racism in football. I can remember whole stands monkey chanting Cyrille Regis and chucking enough bananas at Garth Crooks to start a fruit stall. We've now got so many black heroes in football, nearly half the players in the league are black. Does anyone really care? Of course not. Is there a business LESS racist than football. I'd like to hear it. The truth is we moved beyond that 20 years ago.

Social media is a cess pit because it does two things at the same time. 1. It gives direct access to people that you would never have got access to and 2. It gives partial anonymity and empowerment to the poster, which also removes the peer control that you would get in social situations. There no-one to tell you to pipe down, like if you were gobbing off in a pub. There is no restriction in your own back bedroom.

There is no difference between someone calling Didsy the n-word and someone making jokes about Billy and his poor son Louis. No difference at all. These are spiteful people who are just looking for an opportunity to hurt and upset someone through a personal attack. They do it to tickle their own dick, and to make themselves feel good.

They choose easy targets, and they choose obvious features, just like someone might call me a fat, four eyed twat. Calling it racism is disingenuous. They are personal attacks, and they happen to many, many people on social media, and not for the colour of their skin. We find it quite shocking because in normal life racial slurs have disappeared from everyday speech. Others experience may be different, but I haven't heard anyone use racial slurs since the 1980's..

There is absolutely no need for professional footballers or other sportspeople to have public social media accounts. It is inviting the issue. Turn them off, and don't turn them back on again.

Last edited:
It must be possible for pro footballers to have their own social media network
that is in control of the FA?

Last edited:
Looking forward to watching a game and the build up without my tablet going off every 2 mins with notifications of pointless tweets the only one I’m interested in is the team news so I’ll miss that I’ll just have to put ssn on instead

that is control by the FA?

They can have their own personal family and friends social media that the twats can't get on. Everything else should be a comment issued by the club on its website. It will also remove the truly inane idea that multimillionaires can issue insightful messages to the ether like 'Smashed it today. So happy for Nobby16', or take a photo of their dinner or something. Why do we we need to know the tiny details of your life and your profound thoughts. Just give 100% when you put the shirt on.

There is no difference between someone calling Didsy the n-word and someone making jokes about Billy and his poor son Louis. No difference at all.

That being said to Billy is infinitely more personal than McGoldrick being called an N man.

Racial insults are generic, blatant attempts to upset in comparison and would be easy not to lose sleep over.

Not that this will be acknowledged. Racism will still dominate the agenda. Because George Floyd, or something.

that is in control of the FA?
Many of them enjoy/crave/promote the attention and use it to promote themselves and their image/ products. ( money is involved).It panders to their ego , they are being noticed, they have a position, some 'influence'.( we all like 'likes')
It's only when they don't have total control of what's said that it becomes an issue and, as has been said above, it all gets tarred with the racism brush.( if I can say that!!)

The issue is that social media is supported by billions around the world and clubs and players boycotting for even a few days is just a small % of registered users. Something needs to be done, and by those who run it, not by the users boycotting for a weekend.

The issue is that social media is supported by billions around the world and clubs and players boycotting for even a few days is just a small % of registered users. Something needs to be done, and by those who run it, not by the users boycotting for a weekend.
Pea in a drum token gesture BM.

More for their ego's and 'look at me' stance than any effect.

It’s brought attention to it and highlighted problems but it’s not like they haven’t been before and it’s not stopped it happening if anything it seem to have got worse recently (or people have just started to report it whereas before they may not have) like herb says it needs the people who run it to control their sites better
got to say I enjoyed the day better without notifications every couple of mins I think maybe I’ll turn them off on a matchday in future