Soccerdome To Close.... | Page 5 | Vital Football

Soccerdome To Close....

But it wasn't just a suggestion. The plan was under way well before Martinez left. The wheels were turning. It was part of his vision. it's establishment was an integral feature in him signing a new contract.

No-one's saying that Rioch, Jackson and IEC don't deserve credit (well, C_Latic is, but let's skip that ;)), but the Bob and DW were part of the initial architecture team. They had the idea. They put the plan together. Without them, who knows if it would have happened.

I do understand where you are coming from, but since the plans went so far off from the original in many ways and then lay dormant for so long i think it's kind of gone too far away from his initial inception for him to take credit for what at this stage is basically a new plan. I think if Martinez hadn't had the idea we'd probably be in a similar position to be honest now rather than any better or worse as Sharpe, Whelan and previous managers didn't prioritise Academy status and IEC would be looking to do the academy regardless as it's a needs must situation at this point for them to make us self sustainable.

king_dezeeuw06

Let it go you have repeated yourself over and over we get it, your like a dog with a bone on this. Its a thread about the Soccerdome.

I normally like to read your input but this is getting boring

That's unfair C_Latic. Surely you understand that there's a leadtime associated with bringing through the kids. Getting the overall infrastucture & process in place, getting the right kids in, developing them as they age, etc. It's not a flick of a switch thing.

Surely the numbers of highly rated youngsters (some of them internationals for their age) now coming through is the culmination of the success of previous years.
They haven’t come through yet though Moonay. I don’t class a youth team player as “making it” until they are starting regularly and starring for the first team. They haven’t made us any proper money so far or won us any points and that is ultimately the goal for these kids. We have no excuse with a couple of these lot (Gelhardt) especially. I’ve seen enough to know that he’ll make it. So if for whatever reason he fails the grade, someone should be given their p45.

They haven’t come through yet though Moonay. I don’t class a youth team player as “making it” until they are starting regularly and starring for the first team. They haven’t made us any proper money so far or won us any points and that is ultimately the goal for these kids. We have no excuse with a couple of these lot (Gelhardt) especially. I’ve seen enough to know that he’ll make it. So if for whatever reason he fails the grade, someone should be given their p45.

Surely, the job of youth development stops when the players pass on to the senior squad. So, like you say with Gelhardt, Weir, Jolley and Lang are successes of the Development set-up.

If - for whatever reason - they don't make it, then I'm not totally sure Rioch & staff can be held accountable. That said, like you, I think they will.

That is probably the way we all class making it, but this batch of kids is 100% Riochs for sure so it is fair to judge him on this and every batch moving forward. But surely you are more excited about this group of kids than any other, we all talk about Lang and Geldheart but the lesser known likes of Golden and Merrie have also impressed when given a chance and look like they could genuinely make it more than anyone since McMannaman. As Moonay says there is a lead in time when it comes to the kids as if the initial scouting isn't up to standard no amount of training can give them the level of ability they lack.

Also when we say Rioch it is a proxy for the whole youth set up as he overseas it all but obviously he probably doesn't scout every single kid single handedly so whole team of people we don't know the names of will be responsible for bringing the likes of Lang and Geldheart to where they are now.

Sorry to be a little late to the debate guys but thought I just had to add my two pennorth.

To use an analogy, St Pauls Cathedral is credited to Sir Christopher Wren, although I doubt he ever laid a brick in anger. So what is the difference with Roberto Martinez being credited as the Architect of our youth system. Maybe he didn't stay around long enough to see it through to fruition but surely there is enough evidence to suggest he laid the foundations in Whelans mind.

As I say just my two pennorth, not saying I'm right or wrong but worth a thought.

That is probably the way we all class making it, but this batch of kids is 100% Riochs for sure so it is fair to judge him on this and every batch moving forward. But surely you are more excited about this group of kids than any other, we all talk about Lang and Geldheart but the lesser known likes of Golden and Merrie have also impressed when given a chance and look like they could genuinely make it more than anyone since McMannaman. As Moonay says there is a lead in time when it comes to the kids as if the initial scouting isn't up to standard no amount of training can give them the level of ability they lack.

Also when we say Rioch it is a proxy for the whole youth set up as he overseas it all but obviously he probably doesn't scout every single kid single handedly so whole team of people we don't know the names of will be responsible for bringing the likes of Lang and Geldheart to where they are now.
Of course I’m excited, you’ve heard what I’ve said about Gelhardt. If he doesn’t get injured and/or the club fuck it up in terms of his contract/gametime then I genuinely believe he can break our record transfer sale in this market.

But I’ve seen enough false dawns when it comes to our young players. In another month I’d say there’s a strong chance Lang will become the latest one to go on the scrap heap. So forgive me for taking all this good work done on the youth players with a pinch of salt.

Of course I’m excited, you’ve heard what I’ve said about Gelhardt. If he doesn’t get injured and/or the club fuck it up in terms of his contract/gametime then I genuinely believe he can break our record transfer sale in this market.

But I’ve seen enough false dawns when it comes to our young players. In another month I’d say there’s a strong chance Lang will become the latest one to go on the scrap heap. So forgive me for taking all this good work done on the youth players with a pinch of salt.

Have we seen any false dawns with the kids? You could tell after about 2 or 3 games that the likes of Nicholls, Chow and Flores weren't likely to be able to step up and i cant remember anyone else really getting as close as they did since Macca. I don't think we've really had anyone knock at the door seriously like this group has and from what i've seen from some of them i've got a lot more hope than i ever did for the previous 3 youth players.

I certainly understand the pinch of salt - the proof is in the pudding but i'm really optimisitc on both Lang and Geldheart and really thought Evans, Merrie, Golden had something about them. A few others shown flashes and have good reputations but atm looked like they needed to physically develope a bit more before they would be ready.

So going back to my earlier comment which was sticking to the thread.....where are the many groups that use the soccerdome going to play now? To the best of my knowledge there are no indoor football facilities like the soccerdome, in Wigan Borough.

Perhaps, as someone else has posted, an arrangement with the club could be made to allow the public to use the facilities.

So going back to my earlier comment which was sticking to the thread.....where are the many groups that use the soccerdome going to play now? To the best of my knowledge there are no indoor football facilities like the soccerdome, in Wigan Borough.
Play outside or lobby the council to build a facility. Wigan is lucky to have had Dave Whelan compared to many other towns around who haven't had a Dave Whelan to build facilities for the public.

i dont use the soccer dome but i know a few who play walking football And use the Wigan Athletic name and they are not happy

As someone said previously it was a private business so while it's disappointing for those who use it regularly the owners had no obligation to continue to run the service.

If there was a sufficient demand but IEC just made an offer too good to refuse I'm sure a new facility will be built to fill the gap in the market. Maybe though the reason for the sale was the demand was no longer sufficient to make the facility worth keeping open.

Most sports centres and many colleges and schools have indoor 5 a side facilities, there are what look like outdoor 5 a side pitches on the drive to the stadium too so hopefully those who may no longer be able to play can find some new options without too much of an issue. Does the sports centre directly opposite the DW even have 5 a side piches?

If it's feesable once the new facility is finished there is a chance some of it could be available for hire.

Anyone know if we’re planning evict that Ninja Warrior shite next door to create more space for the facility?

There used to be an extra 5 pitches where the Ninja Warriors are now........maybe they should get rid of that and go back to football pitches which would be used more and by more people.