So Wilder clearly thinks we can and will lose every game | Page 3 | Vital Football

So Wilder clearly thinks we can and will lose every game

Seemed to start being more cautious about the time we played Man City and Liverpool on the bounce. I thought it was just for that runic games but due to the class of opposition but we continued making games more of a battle right up to lockdown even though we still were getting results.

Yes,
The maverick style was slowly starting to vanish around January last year. It was also about the time when I noticed, and posted on here that Wilder has a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

I actually thought Covid might do us some good because players were starting to tire and seemed unable to keep the pressure on teams.

How wrong can you be

Yes,
The maverick style was slowly starting to vanish around January last year. It was also about the time when I noticed, and posted on here that Wilder has a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

I actually thought Covid might do us some good because players were starting to tire and seemed unable to keep the pressure on teams.

How wrong can you be
ABE7E26F-E98F-49E3-B2B5-0949A3D90E18.jpeg

None starter? oh come on chippy don't leave me all my own in trying to be less pessimistic on here mi owd pal.UTMPB
I’ll be less pessimistic for ya I think we’ll only lose this one by the odd goal
how’s that for yer pal

Chris Wilder says he does not know if he will be manager of Sheffield United next season.

The Blades boss says he would love to still be here to try and lead the club back to the Premier League, but he can only do that if the club 'sticks to the plan'.

United are now looking almost certain to be relegated and planning should be turning to next season.

However, Wilder says those conversations should have taken place by now, but they are 'not doing'.

Asked if he will be here next season at this morning's press conference, Wilder said: "I don't know.

I would be amazed if the board aren't discussing next season, I think those conversations will have been going on for some time. Pretty sure part of those discussions will be about Wilder's ability to move us forward. If Wilder is going head to head with the board I would suspect there is only one winner. It does seem to be a recurring theme in his interviews, interesting times ahead.

CW's makes his stance pretty clear.
Full article below in the link with this attention grabbing headline

'I've brought £240m in' - Wilder throws challenge to Sheffield United board not to sell players

From my point of view I've brought £240m into the football club, to invest £90m or £100m into good young players you are hoping they hit it off from the start.
"This season won't be defined on two young players. It will be defined because of the stuff we can't control that has gone against us. Look at the team selection and the players we have missing.
"We have good young players at this football club. We keep everybody together, maybe add, maybe do a couple of things off the pitch that we need to do to help these players (training ground), then I am sure we will see this season as a disappointment but we can learn from it and bounce back.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/ive-brought-240m-in-wilder-19939609

CW's makes his stance pretty clear.
Full article below in the link with this attention grabbing headline

'I've brought £240m in' - Wilder throws challenge to Sheffield United board not to sell players

From my point of view I've brought £240m into the football club, to invest £90m or £100m into good young players you are hoping they hit it off from the start.
"This season won't be defined on two young players. It will be defined because of the stuff we can't control that has gone against us. Look at the team selection and the players we have missing.
"We have good young players at this football club. We keep everybody together, maybe add, maybe do a couple of things off the pitch that we need to do to help these players (training ground), then I am sure we will see this season as a disappointment but we can learn from it and bounce back.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/ive-brought-240m-in-wilder-19939609
We may well see the Prince blink and panic. In my opion we need to stick with Wilder for at least another season..

None starter? oh come on chippy don't leave me all my own in trying to be less pessimistic on here mi owd pal.UTMPB
Since 1957 I have wanted to win the F A Cup (never bothered about the League Champions) and I'd love us to win it. But it would be just my luck to win it when I can't go!!

And I hope we do this season or in the reducing seasons I've we've got left Rod.

Last edited:
I think we all want to see a cup being held aloft by a United Captain at Wembley, but we are dreadful Trophy Dodgers. I'd have even been happy with the Johnstones Paint trophy...

A bit stronger in this morning's article, saying no discussions have taken place re. the wy forward

Seems like CW's started his PR campaign/ lining up reasons for why he is leaving.

A dangerous game to play on both sides

Take your pick!

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/spor...ZBJN9Eh8hFiUJdMfJ25Ocl1U9ScPfbJGEWx8W4Dmh_0Us
The problem in this country TT is we always need to have someone to blame. The whole management team needs to come together and accept that mistakes have been made on both sides. The main thing is to agree a way forward.
My biggest fear is that the Prince has overstretched himself with too many clubs and is struggling. Covid will have shot a hole through any business with wafer thin finances.
There has to be a concensus that Berge will have to go and use a sliding figure from a £20-£30 million transfer fee to help plan a potential budget.
If Wilder concedes that one sale he could then negotiate making sure he keeps the rest of the best core players, plus some money to sort out our midfield and some decent CB cover.

'Lose him, lose fanbase' - Sheffield United supporters react to Chris Wilder's press conference

I love OTT reactions, I always assumed fans supported the football club, individuals come and go.

I'm not liking this narrative CW is pushing that he's a victim of circumstance.

Where has the straight talking Yorkshireman gone ? The one who could hold his hands up and confirm what we all know, he, as an individual, has performed abysmally this season. Then he could state his case as to why he thinks he has the drive, ability, energy and resourcefulness to keep his job and win promotion next season.

At the start of this season, over the previous three windows, we were the twelth highest spenders in the country. The Prince backed CW beyond, I suspect, even his wildest dreams. On the back of the club's success CW used his leverage to negotiate a very good contract for himself, he shouldn't be having pity parties or snidely manipulating the fans against the Prince. That's not the United way.

Whilst most, not all, would say, these few years under CW have been some of, if not the best, in a generation. i do find it strange that some don't seem overly concerned should he leave, using the 'No one is bigger than the Club' mantra, whilst that might be true in terms of players, I am less comfortable with it being CW, it does seem to me that there is a game of cat and mouse going on here. I may be wrong, but, recent press conferences have shown CW to be resigned to our fate, no surprise really, given where we are, but I think he has at least earned a crack at the chance to get us back up.

If the Board have serious aspirations on retaining a place going forward, then, quite obviously they need to be scouring the planet for some serious backing, not that decent sums haven't been put in, but we are a long way off being competitive in the market, I get that a steady growth would be ideal, but the gulf in what you need to genuinely compete in this Premier League is miles off where we currently are. Prudent spending has probably not over stretched us, but relegation means a serious drop off in revenue, not helped of course by Covid.

Time will tell, but I have a very uneasy feeling in my bones.

I'm thinking about Norwich and Farke. There was a clear policy of spend nowt and see what comes. They got relegated, but not without continuing to play the football they had the two seasons before. Now in the Championship they have carried on where they left off, and look good to come up as Champions again. The key to this is that board and manager, squad and support were set up for it. That was the policy and there were no issues with expectation. With another chunk of cash in the bank, they are set to stay up with some sensible additions.

We haven't carried on. We've changed our play, and not for the better. We've bought younger players, but they haven't produced very much. Maybe we write them off too quickly, but I'm not getting the feeling that the expectations have been the same through Board, Management, Squad and Support. I think there are some glaring mismatches. When a manager is telling you how well he's done in the transfer market, not how many points we have on the field, then I prick up my ears.

When I see "Look at the team selection and the players we have missing." I start to wonder who has been picking the team, if its not CW. Yes we've had injuries, but this run of shite performances has gone back to the restart, more or less. 36 games now. Thats a full season. Football teams have injuries. Its a part of the game. Then we look at players like Bogle and Osborne who haven't let anyone down, but end up on the bench when an underperforming favourite is available again. But I'm sorry to say we come back to the obvious question that if we only have two fit centre halves, why are we still trying to play 3 at the back. It just doesn't make sense to me. It isn't working and hasn't for months and months. Why haven't we switched to 4-4-2..? Its not like theres any risk, we're already down.

Whilst most, not all, would say, these few years under CW have been some of, if not the best, in a generation. i do find it strange that some don't seem overly concerned should he leave, using the 'No one is bigger than the Club' mantra, whilst that might be true in terms of players, I am less comfortable with it being CW, it does seem to me that there is a game of cat and mouse going on here. I may be wrong, but, recent press conferences have shown CW to be resigned to our fate, no surprise really, given where we are, but I think he has at least earned a crack at the chance to get us back up.

If the Board have serious aspirations on retaining a place going forward, then, quite obviously they need to be scouring the planet for some serious backing, not that decent sums haven't been put in, but we are a long way off being competitive in the market, I get that a steady growth would be ideal, but the gulf in what you need to genuinely compete in this Premier League is miles off where we currently are. Prudent spending has probably not over stretched us, but relegation means a serious drop off in revenue, not helped of course by Covid.

Time will tell, but I have a very uneasy feeling in my bones.
That is absolutely spot on. There is something not right here and it is financial. The problem is the Prince and CW are not on the same page. Wilder wants the best for the club as a fan and i would be more trusting of his take on things.
I really hope this is not just a vanity project for the Prince but this is starting to look like Chancer part 2. McCabe was not the best at appointing managers it looks like he is/was the same with investors (look at the Prince and ALK).
I hope the Prince proves me wrong but i have very grave reservations

The problem in this country TT is we always need to have someone to blame. The whole management team needs to come together and accept that mistakes have been made on both sides. The main thing is to agree a way forward.
My biggest fear is that the Prince has overstretched himself with too many clubs and is struggling. Covid will have shot a hole through any business with wafer thin finances.
There has to be a concensus that Berge will have to go and use a sliding figure from a £20-£30 million transfer fee to help plan a potential budget.
If Wilder concedes that one sale he could then negotiate making sure he keeps the rest of the best core players, plus some money to sort out our midfield and some decent CB cover.

It seems that CW is spoiling for a fight or at least digging an entrenched position but it is paper talk. He should be old enough and wise enough to be able to take criticism but, even in the 1st article,he's still blaming circumstances and, from what we have seen to date, is taking absolutely no PERSONAL responsibility.

I think we all have to be realistic about future business ( within and without football) and to expect a splashing of the cash is unrealistic.It's OK saying he doesn't want the squad breaking up so, surely, with what he has spent, with his comments about buying top end Champ players he should be comfortable with what he has?