So, how’s it going for you? | Vital Football

So, how’s it going for you?

dwg9846

Vital Youth Team
So, how’s the season going for you?

1. We started off with great anticipation of, at least, a top seven place.
  2. We signed players which were deemed more than capable of achieving that goal (or any bloody goal).
  3. After four games we were top of the league having won all four and conceded nothing.
  4. But it wasn’t entertaining, we were winning but we need to be entertained.
  5. So, get rid of the manager, someone with a decent managerial history.
  6. Spend weeks to appoint someone with no managerial experience who is going to produce entertaining football.
  7. Now the players focus on playing the ball slowly from the back. Lovely passing sideways, backwards eventually making the halfway and then losing it to the opposition. They duly swiftly attack and score (four times at Walsall).
  8. To attack we place one player up front who is expected to pick the ball up on the wing, beat a couple of defenders, cross the ball to himself for him to be ridiculed for not putting the ball in the net.
  9. Solution is now get rid of all the players, regardless of their ability. Just get rid and bring in new blood who will change everything.
  10. Out they go. Lots of promise on their replacements but hey, they dont want to come to happy Priestfield and we get……
  11. Well what do we get? Time will tell when they are fit and have been trained up to play this new exciting, entertaining load of crap we’re getting week in week out.
  12. Personally, I think the season is over. We’ve nearly got enough points to date and mid table beckons.
  13. Overall, disappointing.

Sorry if I sound a tad p#ssed off, that’s because I am.

So, how’s the season going for you?

1. We started off with great anticipation of, at least, a top seven place.
  2. We signed players which were deemed more than capable of achieving that goal (or any bloody goal).
  3. After four games we were top of the league having won all four and conceded nothing.
  4. But it wasn’t entertaining, we were winning but we need to be entertained.
  5. So, get rid of the manager, someone with a decent managerial history.
  6. Spend weeks to appoint someone with no managerial experience who is going to produce entertaining football.
  7. Now the players focus on playing the ball slowly from the back. Lovely passing sideways, backwards eventually making the halfway and then losing it to the opposition. They duly swiftly attack and score (four times at Walsall).
  8. To attack we place one player up front who is expected to pick the ball up on the wing, beat a couple of defenders, cross the ball to himself for him to be ridiculed for not putting the ball in the net.
  9. Solution is now get rid of all the players, regardless of their ability. Just get rid and bring in new blood who will change everything.
  10. Out they go. Lots of promise on their replacements but hey, they dont want to come to happy Priestfield and we get……
  11. Well what do we get? Time will tell when they are fit and have been trained up to play this new exciting, entertaining load of crap we’re getting week in week out.
  12. Personally, I think the season is over. We’ve nearly got enough points to date and mid table beckons.
  13. Overall, disappointing.

Sorry if I sound a tad p#ssed off, that’s because I am.

I agree with your post. I’d add that, I think, being too after 4 games was a false position which masked the problems.

I agree with your post. I’d add that, I think, being too after 4 games was a false position which masked the problems.

Agree.

Funny thing is, if we’d lost those first 4 games, were rock bottom, but now found ourselves in 10th just 2pts from the play offs, we would all be over the moon. Funny game.

As for how it’s actually going. It’s a big pity that Brad came out with his comments about getting auto promotion, not even wanting to settle for play offs. That has been an enormous burden and put expectations through the roof. NH tried to rein that in immediately and was roundly criticised by our fans for it.

I think he realised that we had an “ok team”, that could do well, but certainly not smash the league. And that’s exactly where we find ourselves. Still a chance of making play offs despite being absolutely dire in the fans eyes and totally unable to score goals.

How we solve that goalscoring problem is a conundrum. I would like to think it’s a confidence thing. After all, if Ogie scores when he absolutely should have done, then we win, are in 7th and it’s a different conversation today.

But that’s too simplistic.

It’s a big pity that Brad came out with his comments about getting auto promotion, not even wanting to settle for play offs. That has been an enormous burden and put expectations through the roof.

I’ve seen this comment many times across social media.

Don’t agree with it - it just plays into the terrible culture at the club (and nationwide) of having to blame someone for every imperfection in their lives.

Nothing wrong with him being positive and the part where he questioned whether it was better to be promoted automatically or through the playoffs came across very much as tongue in cheek to me, but then I am much better at interpreting these things than others.

It’s the fans that got over-excited and not because of Brad’s words. Like has been said, winning the first four games when we would normally have notched 4 points from those games gave a false sense of superiority (I’ve seen this so many times).

Many of the signings were lauded and greeted with excitement in particular that of Bonne which to many gave us the complete forward line - those saying we lacked pace and power were in the minority but as soon as results started going awry suddenly the opposite was true.

If any seasoned (or even unseasoned) gills fan wants to blame their sense of entitlement (not hope) on the words of an uber-positive owner who by his own admission is not an expert then they seriously need to reevaluate their cognitive reasoning abilities. I’d be more than happy to act as a power of attorney for these people.

Agree.

Funny thing is, if we’d lost those first 4 games, were rock bottom, but now found ourselves in 10th just 2pts from the play offs, we would all be over the moon. Funny game.
But actually if we had lost those first four we would have 31 points with only 5 teams below us, and looking over our shoulder if FGR or Sutton went on a run.

Maybe then everyone would have agreed if NH had been sacked, and then SC or another replacement would probably have arrived sooner. The transfer window would still have been closed until January though, after a few days to assess the squad. We would also have had a nearly full squad of summer signings.

Would we be in a better position, having changed direction earlier? Who knows?

Well the enthusiasm and optimism that was everywhere on the sunny (apart from the biblical thunderstorm) shores of Lake Como have long since evaporated.

However, lets keep it in context. The club IS moving in the right direction. Off the field its improving every single day, we have owners who engage with the fans in a positive way, they care, they want this club to be successful and they are prepared to invest. I hope they have the stamina needed to keep believing.

On the pitch we are signing players for transfer fees. We are buying players who we could get a return on in the future, not done that for a few seasons.

Performance wise its not good enough. Its not the entertaining, attacking and goal scoring football that the owner wanted and cost Nil his job.

The jury is very much out on Clemence and I think he's still to prove that he's the man to be in charge next season.

The season isn't over as somehow we are still in touch with the playoffs. I think after the Barrow game (5th March) it likely will be. It's hard to see where the points will come from in February and if it goes badly surely we will be out of touch then.

So overall this season is fizzling out but under their ownership I think the future's exciting and we couldn't have said that 18 months ago. I dread to think how this season would be looking if they hadn't taken over.

Sometimes we need to be thankful for what we have whilst still expecting more. Nothing wrong with high expectations - I'm glad the owner has them.

I think the future's exciting and we couldn't have said that 18 months ago
The main thing is that we still have a future. Not that long ago it looked nailed on that we’d be dropping out of the football league and with that comes the danger of dropping out of football entirely.

So yeah… the performances have been fairly dire for most of this season (and last), a number transfers have failed to justify big reputations and high wages, some people can’t tell the difference between aims and expectations, seem to overestimate our financial situation and apparently we’ve had several ‘crucial, must-win’ games already this season which we’ve ballsed up…

But we’re still 10th in the league, one point off the playoffs and on a much sounder footing than we’ve been in many years. Haven’t entirely written off this season yet, we’ve not been good at all but are somehow still in touch, still feel it’s possible (if not probable) that with a small amount of improvement we could bungle our way through.

Being in L2 again next year would be disappointing but certainly wouldn’t be the massive disaster some would have you believe.

The sky isn’t falling.

In terms of where we are in the table I'd have absolutely taken it if offered it this time last year. When the season began my attitude was that with his contract expiring in the summer this was NH's real chance to prove himself. His first full season with proper backing. If he succeeded then he'd win himself a new contract, if he failed he wouldn't. I wasn't expecting promotion or even play offs but I wanted to see us finish in the top ten and be involved with the chase for a play off place right up to the end of the season

The first four games filled me with unrealistic expectations, probably because the only game I'd seen was the Sutton one and I'd been off my head when I watched it. So I didn't have a proper notion of quite how lucky we had been to get the four straight wins.

There's no point moaning now about Harris' dismissal but it shocked me at the time and nobody can claim it hasn't had a disruptive effect upon our season. I firmly believed that Harris had earned the right to see the season out (unless he'd failed spectacularly and we'd got in trouble again at the bottom) and I didn't particularly give a fuck what style of play was employed just so long as it got results. I'm well aware that this is the fourth division and it ain't the natural environment for beautiful free-flowing total football. You generally need to be strong, physical and direct to succeed down here and even if examples of the contrary can be offered to counter this argument, matters relating to exciting and entertaining football don't start occurring to me until we're safely established in the division above and still looking upwards.

The Galinsons have had a huge positive impact on the club but the effect it has had upon some of supporters has been disappointing. It seems that some now think we have some kind of automatic right to get promoted. We don't. It takes hard work and a bit of luck.

The players are getting some criticism right now and they probably deserve it. The last couple of performances at home have been very disappointing to say the least. But I think it's unfair to say that they don't care or aren't trying, it's just a problem with confidence and consistency. At times we look like the making of a good team. But then at other times we look devoid of ideas and movement.

I haven't written the season off just yet but I am starting to get used to the idea that we'll probably have at least another season in the basement. I like SC and, as with NH, I want him to succeed and I want him to be given a proper opportunity to do so. This mean patience. This means not demanding he be sacked if we don't this year make the play offs

Everybody knows where our problem lays. Josh Andrews might turn out to be the answer to our prayers but he might just be another dud. Only time will tell. The other two strikers signed in January are both only loanees so they'll only be here til the end of the season. Same goes for Mahoney (who has loads of talent but rarely shows it). There will also be other players (S. Williams and others, I'm sure) who will depart in the summer.

Regardless of what division we'll be playing in next season, this summer will be an important one for the recruitment team to this time get it right. Then, with a full pre-season, perhaps (hopefully) SC will get what NH should have got. Full backing and full support for an entire season.

UTG!

I think the Gallinsons are excellent for our club.

I decided that we were certs to get promoted but that's MY fault.

As long as we are growing stronger off of the field i expect that to filter into the team.

I'm also not sure SC will be here next season but I think we need another clear out in the midfield area. I feel they have not delivered for us this season as well as the poor front line, which only has Nadesan to be released in May (hopefully).

Williams/Lapslie/Dieng - all hae had below acceptable performances this season. I cannot remember anything memorable by them at all.

Unfortunately we will get very little points off of the top 8 so our play-off chances are not great.

Maybe next season.

Target this year was challenging for play off - which we are.

New manager and players, both with great potential which will take lots of work to exploit

Fans expectations too high as normal.

Too many so call supporters criticising the club and staff at matches and online, which does have an effect on the team and the owners of the club

Perhaps i`m in the minority, as I really look forward to going to the next Gills game - whatever the result of the previous game or games. If the highlight is my half-time Mars bar, then so be it ! Won`t stop me from getting to the next game an hour and a half too early ! Having re-read this, I guess I might be a little sad - but, i`m being completely honest. Even looking forward to my new scarf arriving - and it`s not a half-n-half !

Perhaps i`m in the minority, as I really look forward to going to the next Gills game - whatever the result of the previous game or games. If the highlight is my half-time Mars bar, then so be it ! Won`t stop me from getting to the next game an hour and a half too early ! Having re-read this, I guess I might be a little sad - but, i`m being completely honest. Even looking forward to my new scarf arriving - and it`s not a half-n-half !
I don't get to so many games as years ago but still look forward with hope to every match - doesn't make you a little sad

Not sure about the scarf lol

I did but its a tough watch. The only thing for me is that we, as a club, are on an upward trajectory. It may take a few windows to be reflected on the pitch but we have hope.

I hope Hurtado plays more as he's exciting - totally unpredicatable as he won't understand the "see if Turner is free and if so knock it back to him" instructions. He'll just run at goal and shoot :-)

Not sure about over expectations. Four go up and The bookies had us as 4th favourites before a ball was kicked. Nothing is ever guaranteed in football but you can see where the expectation came from.

Not making the play offs would have been underachieving. Although it could be argued that those expectations needed a reset after we shot ourselves in the foot with the timing of binning NH.

I'm disappointed in myself.

I'm disappointed that I'm so pissed off with this "team" in spite of this being my 59th season as a Gills fan and I really should know better.

For me the issues are that it is persisently boring, very very few goals and a squad that is seriously underachieving imo.

I can't remember a Gills side that has done so poorly considering the supposed quality of the players. Mahoney is a classic example. I'm tending to agree with some others that this team is not loveable or even likeable. Very few players I'd be keen to keep.

Having said that, I'm extremely grateful to the Gallinsons. I feel sorry for them and they deserve better from their employees. I hope they don't cop any flak.

I'm still optimistic about our medium and long term future and think the Gallinsons are right to build the club up rather than sp#nk money over us.

UTG's!!

I agree; the season so far has been disappointing, the saving grace being we are unlikely to be relegated.
I think in general expectation was too high for this season. We have effectively rebuilt the team and they need time to gel.
A top ten finish would be good, with a major push for next season.

I'm disappointed that I'm so pissed off with this "team" in spite of this being my 59th season as a Gills fan and I really should know better.

For me the issues are that it is persisently boring, very very few goals and a squad that is seriously underachieving imo.

I can't remember a Gills side that has done so poorly considering the supposed quality of the players. Mahoney is a classic example. I'm tending to agree with some others that this team is not loveable or even likeable. Very few players I'd be keen to keep.

Having said that, I'm extremely grateful to the Gallinsons. I feel sorry for them and they deserve better from their employees. I hope they don't cop any flak.

I'm still optimistic about our medium and long term future and think the Gallinsons are right to build the club up rather than sp#nk money over us.

UTG's!!
That's a great post summing up just how so many of us feel. Loving the owners more than those on the pitch says it all.

UTG's!!
Reiterate what was said before,how most of us feel
Been 50 years for me,and can’t recollect being entertained once this season,may I add not seen every game,freezing my nuts off at my age is a big no.
Who is leading the Gallinsons,please not Scallywag.
Promised entertainment,your having a laugh,it was dead yesterday, more exciting squeezing pimples,
Im not picking anybody out,because first half,nobody would have registered on Richter scale.
Remember some very poor teams over 50 years,but they always play with passion
Be interesting on February 07th

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I've seen only a few games, although for some inexplicable reason I'll be at Meadow Lane on Friday. I'm making a weekend of it in Nottingham/Derby because I don't have very high hopes that the game itself will be worth the journey.

Pre-season I thought we were one of eight teams in with a chance of promotion, so now we probably won't finish in the top eight that's underachievement in my eyes. The next four or five games will make or more likely break our season.

I was surprised NH went so soon but also thought it was only a matter of time because we weren't scoring enough goals to challenge anywhere near the top. Under SC from what I've seen we're playing nicer football and often creating more chances, which matters not a jot if we can't convert them. Possibly one of the new strikers will make enough of a difference to get us across the line into the play-offs; a decent outcome considering the season to date. It seems the owners are more patient than many of us, which is a good thing for the club.

UTG's!!
I think Clemence is still hopeful that those players going through the motions will buy into the process if they see it working.
Big ask for our new young forwards supported largely by the likes of Masterson and a few others .I can see Clemence waiting till he has all the new players firing on all cylinders before he reads to the riot act to any of those who still want to coast through.

Remembering that some might want to do more but have been playing at a much slower pace for too long.Therefore we probably have three groups.

1 Totally committed and already playing at a higher tempo than team mates.

2 Committed but not fit enough.

3 F()ck this for a lark you want me to run?

Last edited: