Smoking ban | Vital Football

Smoking ban

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
You may want to merge somewhere JF

They have finally voted it through I'm pleased to say, with some reservations.

As an ex smoker I'm damn glad my grandchildren generation are going to be smoke free.

Reservations: how is it going to work in say for example the cut off date is 31st December 2009 so anyone born after that date can't smoke or legally buy them.

I can see that causing major problems. So my reservations are more about how will it work.

Your thoughts

Smoking is a monster. Vile. And I embarrassingly used to smoke cigarettes on a night out.

I hate it. It killed 3 of my grandparents.

But. Because of the addiction aspect it needs to be phased out gradually and carefully.

But I am fully behind a smoke free country eventually.

I just wonder if something like this will drive more of a black market for it. It will be interesting to where it goes. The ultimate goal is like a prohibition and history says this sort of thing doesn’t work.

I just wonder if something like this will drive more of a black market for it. It will be interesting to where it goes. The ultimate goal is like a prohibition and history says this sort of thing doesn’t work.
Be interesting.

Cigarettes are a confusing one for me. Doesn't actually do anything to you. No buzz. No feel good factor really. No high. Just an addiction the body has like with sugar or food.

I had issues with stuff before but that was stuff that really got me twatted and gave me some escapism from my life.

Cigarettes just gets you standing outside for 5 minutes and satisfying the craving that just makes you stink.

How do they propose to replace the £10bn a year tax revenue from tobacco? Or are they suggesting this will pay for itself through a reduced burden on the NHS?

I’m sure there must be a fair few politicians involved with the major tobacco companies so I can’t see this ever being adopted. Maybe some watered down version.

How do they propose to replace the £10bn a year tax revenue from tobacco? Or are they suggesting this will pay for itself through a reduced burden on the NHS?

I’m sure there must be a fair few politicians involved with the major tobacco companies so I can’t see this ever being adopted. Maybe some watered down version.
Is Ken Clarke still in the house.🤣

Yep. Good point. I guess the cost of NHS treatment is now trumping what they get in tax.
If I was a new born though I would not want the temptation of tobacco.

Should be banned from all films in my opinion.

I like the theory of phasing it out like this, actually thought this could have been done years ago.

Be interesting to see how, and if, it works. But worth a try. Pure filth of a habit, that people then can't stop, same as Col says, I lost 3 grandparents to the habit (the con is they were all but told it was good for them back in those days)

It won't stop the most determined to get fags, but it might well stop a bigger % than if they kept things as they are now. That would be a win. Also about breaking the 'it is cool' cycle... I have nothing against those who choose to do it, but do struggle if anyone thinks it is cool...!

Yup, I'm a smoker as folks know.

I agree in principle with this, but I just don't see how it logistically works. Are we back to photo ID cards for 14 yr old's? Let alone the black market - what about the immediate wriggle room of friends old enough to buy, and simply pass on to others....that's long been a problem. What does this mean for vapes that are clearly marketed towards kids?

There were better ways to address this for me, and ways that avoid the need to wait 15 yrs before the NHS saw a benefit.

As said, to me, this could/should just push down the % of those who bother with cancer sticks, just a bit more.

I just can't see this working. Not really sure why the Tories are pushing it through either.
The whole thing is a smokescreen, forgive the pun, because they are unable to do anything about the real issues of the day because the Tory party and government are so divided. Never ever smoked and agree with a ban in publice spaces but this is just insane. Absolute gift to the smuggling trade.

Last edited: