Smith Heading Out On Loan | Vital Football

Smith Heading Out On Loan

Good for game time I suppose and I hope a recall option is placed in just in case Vickers breaks down again but I do think he is better than Slocombe so competition for the jersey is slightly less in my opinion

't'will be interesting to see if the loan is until January as I believe Slocombe can be returned to Bristol R. at that time.

I rate Smith-hope there is a recall option given Josh Vickers injury history.

He did acknowledge it was partly financial. 3 goalkeepers is a luxury.

Last edited:
If we are unable to send Slocombe back it seems a perfectly sensible financial decision. Also, it enables Grant to play rather than watch football, which can only be good for him and us.
I'm also of the opinion that dropping him immediately was somewhat harsh on the lad, albeit that Vickers is currently the better of the 2.

Back to non league? Would rather he was sent to Cambridge/Morecambe level team - you know he’ll get practice.

Back to non league? Would rather he was sent to Cambridge/Morecambe level team - you know he’ll get practice.
He can't go on loan to a league club until the window opens in January. If he does, I think that it would have to be until the end of the summer....

Whereas if he goes to non-league, he can go now and we have more control over a return, especially should something happen to Vickers or Slocombe. I think....

He can't go on loan to a league club until the window opens in January. If he does, I think that it would have to be until the end of the summer....

Whereas if he goes to non-league, he can go now and we have more control over a return, especially should something happen to Vickers or Slocombe. I think....
Ahhh good point. Forgot to think about the obvious points.

Slocombe seems a bit of an unnecessary luxury now as Josh returned so much quicker than expected.
Rate Vickers in the 5 best imps keepers I've seen play for us in my near 40 years of going.

Slocombe seems a bit of an unnecessary luxury now as Josh returned so much quicker than expected.
Rate Vickers in the 5 best imps keepers I've seen play for us in my near 40 years of going.

Yes i would say somewhere in the top 5. People rating Vickers as the best. That seems very premature.

I saw Felgate but was too young to really judge. Matt Dickins over a few month period prior to leaving for Blackburn is probably the best ive seen. He never kicked on though. Tough being a GK. Picking the right club at the right time is essential.

Felgate would be top of my list all day long. (Never saw Grotier in his prime) Was also Citys first full international in something like 30 years. Great keeper.

Felgate would be top of my list all day long. (Never saw Grotier in his prime) Was also Citys first full international in something like 30 years. Great keeper.

Some more trivia.

Eric McManus, whilst on loan from Stoke got called up to the N. Ireland squad whilst playing for the Imps, but didn't play.

I wouldn't blame Smith for felling rather miffed at present. Gets his chance in the first-team, does nothing wrong in five straight league games, gets dropped as soon as Vickers is fit again, shunted to third choice keeper and then told he can go out on loan. Cannot help feeling the lad has been hard done to.

I wouldn't blame Smith for felling rather miffed at present. Gets his chance in the first-team, does nothing wrong in five straight league games, gets dropped as soon as Vickers is fit again, shunted to third choice keeper and then told he can go out on loan. Cannot help feeling the lad has been hard done to.
I sympathise with him but Vickers is a better keeper and has equally done nothing to deserve dropping.

Also we can't send Slocombe back until January. I presume he's on L1 wages. Smith will be back with us before too long, he's a good keeper.