Sissoko / Spurs not giving up on coming second... | Vital Football

Sissoko / Spurs not giving up on coming second...

Spursex

Alert Team
Spurs not giving up on second place
Talking to SFR Sport after the 2-0 win against Watford, Spurs midfielder Moussa Sissoko says his side are still in the hunt for 2nd.

"There are three matches left, we’ll try to take the points and hope others slip up. Right now, second place is still possible. We’ll see. We’ll take it game by game.​
Our aim is to qualify for the Champions League. We knew Chelsea’s result, they had come back to within two points, so we had to win. We knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but we were clinical at the right moments. We continue our progress towards qualifying for the Champions League. "​

Sissoko for captain.

If he does make the World Cup what's the odds on him having an absolute stormer?!

Against Watford when he came on he really started to have an impression on the game and had one glorious chance to put us 3-0 up.....and of course fluffed it :-(

I don't think we use him right. His pace and strength needs somebody to stay with him to pass to in the box. He was on his own for his chance.

I don't think we use him right. His pace and strength needs somebody to stay with him to pass to in the box. He was on his own for his chance.

He was on his own, but he did pretty much make the chance all on his own from memory...if only he had greater composure in and around the box when it comes to finishing..

Through a forward run which he does a fair bit. Alli has enough pace to arrive in the box, Kane lesser so but a cut back from Sissoko has been known. When he comes on for Dembele his primary function is to shield the back 4 towards the end of a game. But his forward running can at least take a defender or two with him. It would be frustrating to sell him and see a club get better out of him.

Sissoko for captain.
Got to hand it to you Nick , you stood up for him against all comers and never waivered.
As I said in the other post , I wasn't to upset when he came on for the last 10 minutes or so , he did shore things up and put himself about .
Don't want to turn this into yet another Sissoko thread , but I am slowly ,slowly changing the way I feel about him . Maybe his moment wasn't one of those clinical occaisions .
The Brighton result was a game changer in coming second , but anything is possible at the moment "
Good to see he has a positive attitude and not looking forward to putting his towel on the sunbed in June

He carries himself very well. It would be great to see him become very successful with us.

He hasn't really proved anyone right or wrong but he may not have had much opportunity to do so by playing in a shackled way.

I've said this before on here I believe. He had a run of 3-4 games where he bagged a handful of assists by breaking at pace and then playing the ball sideways to someone else who broke with him to finish. More often with us when does break forwards it's on his own, and he's one of the worst finishers I've ever seen.

I hope he has an absolutely massive world cup and we can flog him to China or somewhere for £30M. He's been a decent squad player for us and since he's been doing the simple things well he's definitely contributed to our season but I'd hope if we spent similar money again we could get someone who has a positive effect on games more often.

I think Poch found his balance with Sissoko when he got Lamela fit, signed Moura and it became apparent that Winks was going to be out. Before that we had 4 centre mids (Dier, Wanyama, Dembele, Winks) and 4 AM's (Eriksen, Dele, Son, Lamela) plus Sissoko. We mostly used him out on the right and it just didn't suit him. Even with France, he's one of 3 centre mids with license to go right but doesn't play there.

With Wanyama's left knee problems and Wink's ankle issue, Sissoko has been a very valuable squad player. Now we have a fully fit Lamela plus new player Moura we can allow Sissoko to be the 5th centre mid with different qualities from the other 4.

The way I look at it you can only sell Sissoko if we are guaranteed that Winks and Wanyama are over their injuries and we also know that the Dembele contract situation is sorted. I'm all for new blood in centre mid but not that big of a risk taker that I'd let Sissoko leave until at least January, if he's not making squads.

I think Poch found his balance with Sissoko when he got Lamela fit, signed Moura and it became apparent that Winks was going to be out. Before that we had 4 centre mids (Dier, Wanyama, Dembele, Winks) and 4 AM's (Eriksen, Dele, Son, Lamela) plus Sissoko. We mostly used him out on the right and it just didn't suit him. Even with France, he's one of 3 centre mids with license to go right but doesn't play there.

With Wanyama's left knee problems and Wink's ankle issue, Sissoko has been a very valuable squad player. Now we have a fully fit Lamela plus new player Moura we can allow Sissoko to be the 5th centre mid with different qualities from the other 4.

The way I look at it you can only sell Sissoko if we are guaranteed that Winks and Wanyama are over their injuries and we also know that the Dembele contract situation is sorted. I'm all for new blood in centre mid but not that big of a risk taker that I'd let Sissoko leave until at least January, if he's not making squads.

I'd agree with that. Depth that we know.

Pointless keeping depth that you know if they are not good enough.

I think their are quite a few players we can move on now. Vorm coming towards the end of his career, Rose wants out, Toby wants out, Sissoko not good enough, Dembele coming towards the end of his career, Wana broken, Winks made of glass, Lamela never improves, LLorente dog turd. Plenty of work to be done.

I think their are quite a few players we can move on now. Vorm coming towards the end of his career, Rose wants out, Toby wants out, Sissoko not good enough, Dembele coming towards the end of his career, Wana broken, Winks made of glass, Lamela never improves, LLorente dog turd. Plenty of work to be done.

RD ......that's a pretty hard hitting post imo.

I agree with Rose, Toby , and Llorente ( not quite dog turd though , but certainly past his best) , and Dembo. It could be that it will be his decision to find an easier league to play in
Can't agree with :
Vorm , still a class keeper , doesn't make many errors , good back up and still has a good few seasons in him .;
Sissoko , still improving and becoming a decent squad player , and I never ever thought I would say that ;
Wanyama , still getting back from a serious injury , it takes time , you would know that better than me .;
Winks , similar to Vic , but he is young enough to get over his injury and come back stronger ;
Lamella in my opinion is improving week by week . He looks stronger and more confident , has a fantastic work rate . If Poch can get him and Kane to pass to each other he will be a serious threat for us against packed defences .

Still agree though that there is plenty of work to be done

The question becomes how we do ship out quantity and buy quality in it's place. Is it any coincidence that Sanchez cost £40m and has been a 1st team stalwart from day 1? Then you look at Aurier and Moura and they cost £23-25m and we got squad players. Obviously, we'd all love to find more like Dier and Dele that cost nothing and are 1st team regulars but it's not that easy.

This summer needs to be about improving the 1st team. We lost Walker and then subsequently watched Toby, Rose and Wanyama have nothing seasons. That's 4 down from last season and only Sanchez coming in. The rest has been about using guys like Trippier and Davies who were good backups but have been found wanting this season as 1st choices.

I'd rather have 100%ers like Janssen and Sissoko making up the numbers for another season if that meant bringing in only 2 or 3 top quality additions to improve our 1st team in the weaker areas.

Our strategy of buying cheap is going to have mixed success. But it's serving us pretty well at the moment. I guess we have to trust and hope Poch can carry on improving the team using this method. Winks was showing huge promise so let's hope he can return next season back to normal. Wanyama again seems to be slowly coming back. I certainly wouldn't want them gone.

The question becomes how we do ship out quantity and buy quality in it's place. Is it any coincidence that Sanchez cost £40m and has been a 1st team stalwart from day 1? Then you look at Aurier and Moura and they cost £23-25m and we got squad players. Obviously, we'd all love to find more like Dier and Dele that cost nothing and are 1st team regulars but it's not that easy.

This summer needs to be about improving the 1st team. We lost Walker and then subsequently watched Toby, Rose and Wanyama have nothing seasons. That's 4 down from last season and only Sanchez coming in. The rest has been about using guys like Trippier and Davies who were good backups but have been found wanting this season as 1st choices.

I'd rather have 100%ers like Janssen and Sissoko making up the numbers for another season if that meant bringing in only 2 or 3 top quality additions to improve our 1st team in the weaker areas.

Sanchez has quite openly stated he wouldn't have considered us if it wasn't for Poch and just as importantly that we were a CL competitive side.

That's why CL qulaification is so important.

As for Moura and Aurier - they are both CL quality players - and I'll bet with anyone that next season they show that.

We bought Sanchez in the knowledge that Toby and his agent were playing hardball with us over their demands.

Rose may now have a problem - having slagged off the club so shortly after signing a new deal and then having a career threatening injury.. It's said Manure's interest in him has cooled and he is not now their no.1 LB target; it's why he is now avoiding the press after being so vocal - he may well have to eat crow, although I'm led to believe that because of his injury we are looking to move him on.

Winks was heading towards being one of the best - ever - his injury has stopped his progress stone dead, we can only hope that recent reports from the training ground are accurate and that he may avoid another surgical intervention in the summer...either way, he's going nowhere.

Lamela doesn't look like he's getting a new deal, so I think we're selling him.

Dembele had been awful and inconsistent for too long now, Chinese would buy him, or the MLS, either way, I don't want to see him again next season.

A couple /3/4 of the right additions - and we're in good shape for next season.

Ex - not saying I disagreed with the signings of Moura and Aurier. They were based on this seasons needs. One was Walker leaving and the other was more attacking flair in the final third. It's now up to Poch to nurture the whatsits out of them and turn them into great players. That's what he's best at.

Where I'm going with this is that we can't follow this same tactic again in the transfer window.

There is no current challenge on Davies who is hit and miss and an old style 4-4-2 defender. We need a more dynamic LB who can do what Robertson, Alonso and Mendy will do for their clubs. It's also what fill in players like Young and Delph are doing. We've lost something down our left since the demise of Rose. By the way, I agree with you. It would never surprise me to see him at Spurs next season and more back to his old self. Humble pie might be what he needs in his diet.

The Son / Lamela experiment isn't working. Son is a great squad player, one for the bench but he doesn't carry the team in the way that someone like Zaha does. He doesn't have the football intelligence either. Lamela has more intelligence but no pace and a lack of end product. Perhaps Moura can overtake them both, but more likely we'll be buying again.

That leaves centre mid. Something is missing there as well. Dembele is either world class or economy class and I have a feeling as time passes by he'll become less effective due to his age. I'd take the Chinese money but only if we had a replacement. Ruben Neves would be my first choice. I'm hoping we'll see the old Wanyama and Winks back and wouldn't let Sissoko do anything until we have the first 4 places assured.

Fill those 3 spots and we'll be firing on more cylinders.