Silverware is only for the ego says Poch. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Silverware is only for the ego says Poch.

My only beef with this discussion is that we are perennial Top 4 contender now...you would think we would win something at some point simply based on overall quality. The fact that we haven't suggests to me that one...maybe we simply don't give a crap, in which case I say why not tank out earlier and save us all the hassle or two...we simply don't have the quality depth to actually compete on more than one front...which for a team continually in the top 4 for the last handful of years I find tough to swallow that we have not improved in that aspect.

Just strange is all.

My only beef with this discussion is that we are perennial Top 4 contender now...you would think we would win something at some point simply based on overall quality. The fact that we haven't suggests to me that one...maybe we simply don't give a crap, in which case I say why not tank out earlier and save us all the hassle or two...we simply don't have the quality depth to actually compete on more than one front...which for a team continually in the top 4 for the last handful of years I find tough to swallow that we have not improved in that aspect.

Just strange is all.

I agree. You should be able to finish top 4 and win a domestic cup. It happens all of the time. It's also wrong to say that deeper squads than ours have done that in the last 5 years. More expensive ones maybe, but only as deep as we've had.

The problem I have is that if we drop out of the top 4, the story will adjust itself slightly to say that without CL football we can't compete in the domestic cups. There will be more logical excuses given.

Poch is looking at the now. Not how we approached the cups from the off.

If Kane, Son, Alli, Eriksen and Sissoko had been available against Palace who would have played out of them ? Probably all of them. I suggest Palace would have been battered. Keeping in mind some rotation was needed for Winks and Aurier and Wanyama couldn't play the full 90.

This scenario wasn't the case at the start of the cups. Poch has reacted to our situation and made the right call, not a pleasant one true.

He has been too honest in his words on the important targets. But I would rather that than being deceived and strung along. We don't have the depth, surely we all know that, so we have to prioritise and go where the money is.

He has made these comments every season he has been here.

He's not that honest, he has a nice salary and lifestyle to protect.
This is exactly. The only "good" I can see in this statement is he seem deeply embedded in the "ENIC way" It is however a terrible message to his players. I'm honestly at the point where I'd let an attacking coach like Jardim have a go at it. By the way on this theme am I the only one increasinglyi impressed by that Rabbit-hutch bloke?

If I was one of the top boys I would be out of there like a shot. You have owners that tell the manager we don't need to win trophies, and we have a manager now saying winning trophies only build egos.

This is up there with his dumbest comments. Making excuses like he always does for failing to win a trophy in 5 seasons.

If he used his "Educated" brain we could have done so in the last 5 years with better planning and building on a squad that was a very good one. Which is now slowly getting dismantled and players passing their peaks.

Between him and Levy they have royally fucked this up.

They can't be defended anymore and a Shiny new damn stadium which has been made for ENICS own gain won't make a damn difference.

Last edited:
This is exactly. The only "good" I can see in this statement is he seem deeply embedded in the "ENIC way" It is however a terrible message to his players. I'm honestly at the point where I'd let an attacking coach like Jardim have a go at it. By the way on this theme am I the only one increasinglyi impressed by that Rabbit-hutch bloke?
I heard danny Rose googled him yesterday

You aren't alone, many of the Spurs twitteraty can't stomach his reality - but in my view it is the only reality that matters (for now).

This focus has allowed us to achieve (my dream) of supremacy over our north london Gypsy neighbours - the daily diet of crap and arrogance you'd get from Arsenal fans has gone.

We now need to ground them into the Europa dust and watch as they now fit there way through a mini financial crisis that may consign them to be perenial Top4 wannabees for a very long time.

So in my head, often, this is all the 'glory' and compensation for my patience for silverware I need.
What do you mean by gypsy neighbours mate because I am a Romany gypsy and find that a bit of a racist post to be honest or is it ok or is it ok to mock and make fun of a certain race of people looks like acceptable racism if you ask me im not very happy.

Calm down mate ...the statement he made you have taken out of context ...it is not racist...it is an analogy in that Gypsies were (some may be still are) migratory by nature and le arse migrated from Sauf of the river into our territory many moons ago......(me being a 'jew boy' know all about racism and I do not see Spursex as a racist in any form given his prior posts.)

What do you mean by gypsy neighbours mate because I am a Romany gypsy and find that a bit of a racist post to be honest or is it ok or is it ok to mock and make fun of a certain race of people looks like acceptable racism if you ask me im not very happy.

Marky, you and I have spoken Romany here - but you've probably forgotten it's been so long since you're about; as Nick says, I use it as they've roamed from South london onto our patch ...

You know I haven't used it the way you've read it, but if you think I did, then clearly it was not intended to cause offence to my Romany friends..

:tophat:

Calm down mate ...the statement he made you have taken out of context ...it is not racist...it is an analogy in that Gypsies were (some may be still are) migratory by nature and le arse migrated from Sauf of the river into our territory many moons ago......(me being a 'jew boy' know all about racism and I do not see Spursex as a racist in any form given his prior posts.)
I don't think anyone has the right to tell Mark to calm down or not be sensitive till they have walked in his shoes. I also don't think frankly silly anecdotes of poor interaction that a poster has had with some random person is the basis to condem a whole load of people. I'm also 100% certain EX merely meant migratory in his use of the word Gypsie. Which he will no doubt point out, perhaps might I suggest privately with Mark. Because further comment from other posters is simply inflammatory.

On topic does everyone on here now more or less concede it is very likely that we will only have the league to play for by the time Kane and Dele return to full fitness?

I don't think anyone has the right to tell Mark to calm down or not be sensitive till they have walked in his shoes. I also don't think frankly silly anecdotes of poor interaction that a poster has had with some random person is the basis to condem a whole load of people. I'm also 100% certain EX merely meant migratory in his use of the word Gypsie. Which he will no doubt point out, perhaps might I suggest privately with Mark. Because further comment from other posters is simply inflammatory.

What happened to me was not silly and I resent being silenced from relating true experiences.

At the moment we don’t have any option but to beat Dortmund if our season is to be seen to be better than last year . It will give the rest of the campaign a major boost