Should England boycott the World Cup? | Vital Football

Should England boycott the World Cup?

Not sure what to vote.

A boycott would spare me another massive disappointment as I can't help getting hopeful when the time comes in spite of multiple abject failures in the past

Don't see what help it would do, if that's going to be the country's response it's hardly going to have Putin shaking in his boots and all that would have happened is 20 odd footballers would have missed the chance to play in a World Cup.
If there is evidence that it was Putin that ordered the "hit" then a boycott would be fine as part of a bigger set of sanctions but in itself is pretty weak.

At work last night I was the only person calling for a boycott so glad I am not alone .Do have the feeling the plastic premier league fans missing there summer fix was more important to them than what is happening in the real world .

Nobby_66 - 13/3/2018 19:29

Don't see what help it would do, if that's going to be the country's response it's hardly going to have Putin shaking in his boots and all that would have happened is 20 odd footballers would have missed the chance to play in a World Cup.
If there is evidence that it was Putin that ordered the "hit" then a boycott would be fine as part of a bigger set of sanctions but in itself is pretty weak.
Going looking at the bigger picture and without a doubt having massive clashes with the Russian police is hardly going to do much for the country .While I am sure the world cup will be sold as a massive propaganda success for the Russian state .

Absolutely not. It would be a copout for the Government. There are far more effective things they can do at Government/international level than stopping people play football. Lets wait for Putin to ignore the midnight deadline to see what the PM does but i doubt whether he,ll be quaking in his boots. I,m sure he,s devastated about Prince William not going.....

Pointless if I am honest it would only have an affect if we could get half a dozen other countries to join us and that I just can?t see happening

As long as this country's governing party continues to accept hundreds of thousands of pounds from Russian oligarchs, it would probably be churlish not to turn up at their World Cup.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/03/11/tories-will-not-return-820000-russia-linked-donations-philip/

As it is, on recent form, letting our lot stink up the tournament as usual might actually be the most effective way to spite them.

I am amazed that Theresa May is so 'soft' and 'lily-livered'.

Well, this scenario has all the future potential of causing a major world crisis, so shouldn't she have just backed down?

Brucieboy. Not sure what "Armageddon" means.....so what. It's not the end of the world.

I've already decided on a personal level to boycott the World Cup, will it do any good, probably not, but I will feel better knowing that I have done something.

nitram77 - 14/3/2018 13:09

I've already decided on a personal level to boycott the World Cup, will it do any good, probably not, but I will feel better knowing that I have done something.

It is great to have you with me .Tough at first but I am away for a couple of weeks during the tournament so that bit will be easy .For me I will not watch games read reports of matches .I have managed to almost blank out the premier league so I that makes me sure I can do this weather England go or not .There are no other footy fan's in the family so it is only Dad brothers and friends who could make life harder while i am in the UK . :7:

England were fined for wearing the poppy motif last year as it was deemed to be a political statement. Isn't not going to the World Cup an even bigger political statement??? Would we then get banned from the 2022 World Cup? Can of worms!

The UK Govt and F.A. plus Spoonster, will no doubt be keeping a close eye on what happens when Arsenal visit Moscow next month. If the trip goes smoothly then pursuing a boycott would become more difficult. Personally, in the current climate, whatever does or doesn`t happen when Arsenal play there, I wouldn`t risk traveling as an England fan to the World Cup.